Which helmet with intercom?! - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 2011, 4:20 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Which helmet with intercom?!

Hi.
Thinking of BMW System 6, or Schubert C3 with intercom/bluthooth.

Will Scubert system fit with the setup of K1600GT with BMW Nav IV?!

Mods done: Power frk, stepper motor, sloppy shifter, Laser duo slip on, sports air filter, Zumo mount, decor stripes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 2011, 12:48 pm
Veteran

Might be smart to actually wait for the bike to see if either helmet works correctly with the new electronics of the K16xx bikes.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 2011, 3:01 am
IBR# 366

The System 6 isn't available in the US, so I hear that the Schuberth Bluetooth will be our "factory approved" option. Not sure how that will play out in other countries though.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 2011, 8:30 am
Addict

A lot of riders here use the Nolan helmets. One thing I like about Schuberths, (even their cheapest) is they provide velcro pockets inside and there's room to fit addin kits (helmet speakers). That's not the case with many others, particularly full face sports.

I'm still on the fence with Bluetooth comms. It seems a smart way to go, but the pain of managing batteries, charging and propretary pairing issues with 3rd party BT, left me cold when I researched it a while back. I never found a sport helmet with good coms on helmet speakers above cruiser speeds of 50mph.Earbuds always worked a lot better. Flip fronts seem to have more room, but I like a quiet long rides above 50mph.

I always came back to simple wired comms like Autocom, perhaps linked to PMR radio sets. You can do the audio passenger to rider on a wire with very low battery power budget. Any wireless starts pushing it up. I don't think VOX switches work too well at speeds either and again I come back to a simple PTT (push to talk). Noise cancelling is very important and I haven't seen clever DSP designs I might expect. But I guess they have them for aircraft coms. When you see the size of the earphone cavities, you can appreciate why aircraft or 'copter headsets can work. I also thought it wasn't worth considering helmet speaker comms in a helmet that wasn't itself quiet above 50 mph. Why add to riding strain with comms volume higher than helmet noise for it to be heard? The Schuberths are some of the quietest helmets I've worn if the neck skirt is kept good and would probably deliver the best comms performance in the bunch.

If I was buying a BT set I'd carefully work out the cost and factor in dc power leads (off the powerlet), spare batteries and a charger that is 'fast' and works off both the bike power and the mains. Surprisingly at the time I found the manufacturers hadn't appreciated the 'battery flat' scenario on the road and other than 'expensive' spare batteries, had,'t addressed the fast charge on/off bike issue.

But there's plenty of heavy marketing speak to browse through!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 2011, 10:23 pm
Noob

Look here for a complete list of what works and what doesn't:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf K1600_radio.pdf (135.7 KB, 91 views)
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 2011, 7:23 pm
Enthusiast

Sena Bluetooth systems work well

Sena.com

Bike to bike - rider to pillion, MP3, cell phone, sat nav, XM - pretty much whatever you need. Good volume and high fidelity speakers.

"What follows is based on actual occurrences. Although much has been changed for rhetorical purposes, it must be regarded in its essence as fact. However, it should in no way be associated with that great body of factual information relating to orthodox Zen Buddhist practice. It's not very factual on motorcycles, either."

Robert Persig - Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

1985 K100RS (Sold)
2000 323i (Sold)
2003 1150GS (Sold)
2009 528Xi
2004 K1200GT
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 2011, 9:43 pm
Noob

Sena

I'll second the Sena. Have had one for about a year and it works great w/ an iphone and gps. The battery lasts a full (long) day. It should fit any hemet.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 2011, 2:55 pm Thread Starter
Noob

I like it :)

Sena SMH10 Intercom www.senabluetooth.com/

..Got an Schuberth C3 helmet. Will it fit without any problems!?
I`d really like to pair with others bikers using Schuberth Src and Cardo G4..

But.. i`d really like the the Fittings of the Schuberth Src, but if the Sena works with all features on the K1600 its a easy choice..

Mods done: Power frk, stepper motor, sloppy shifter, Laser duo slip on, sports air filter, Zumo mount, decor stripes

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode