An interesting observation - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 2011, 1:20 pm Thread Starter
IBR# 366

An interesting observation

I was just noticing that this K1600GT/GTL forum here on K-bikes.com stays pretty quiet, with new posts every few days and new threads sometimes separated by a few weeks. And the general consensus here seems to be "Nice bike, but way too big for me."

In contrast, the K1600GT/GTL forum over at BMWLT.com is quite busy, with new threads every day and new posts almost every hour. The general consensus there seems to be "I want one, but where is my power center stand and reverse?"

I just thought it interesting . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 2011, 2:00 pm

While I like the K16GT, I think I'll be looking at an R12RT when it comes time to replace the K12GT.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 2011, 12:42 am
Telepathetic

When the new generation of GT was all the buzz, much of the buzz was from eljeffe. He kept me teased with bits of info from his reliable sources. I miss him and his offerings.

As for the guys over on the mother ship..................... today it is power center stands, tomorrow it will be chardonnay coolers.

Darrel
'06 GT - Blue
85K on the clock
_'07 GS - Yeller
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 2011, 10:25 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meese
And the general consensus here seems to be "Nice bike, but way too big for me."
Very true in my case. I tested a K13GT, but my current 2008 (US 2009?)l K12GT is a perfect example, so didn't feel the need to upgrade. I've seen (and sat on) the K16GT, but my gut reaction was - I think this just might be too much! (Not money, size.)

However, we're seeing some reports in the UK now from "ordinary" riders taking test rides, and they're all consistently positive. I may have to re-think my position. After all, if not a K16GT, what exactly, when my current bike gets "tired"?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 2011, 12:38 pm Thread Starter
IBR# 366

My position on the GTL has always been that I'm intrigued, but will wait for a full test ride before making a final decision.

When I first saw the K12LT, I thought it was huge and even bulbous looking. But then I rode one, and it blew away my older, lighter K100LT.

The power and suspension on my Slant/4 GT is far and above better than the LT ever was. But I still find myself raising the seat and bars, and lowering the pegs, and adding aftermarket windshields and guards to get just a bit better wind protection . . .

So I'm thinking the Slant/6 bikes may be the perfect size for me. Comfortable enough for two up or knocking out a thousand-mile day, yet still nimble enough to play on the fun roads.

BMW has done some amazing things in regards to hiding weight and getting these big ol' touring bikes handling much better than they ought to.

So I'm interested, but will wait until I can ride one for myself to see if it fits the way I ride.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 2011, 6:08 pm
Enthusiast

Why wait? Life is short. I figured I might as well get some stick time with a -6- as I found my K1200GT to be a tad boring although it never let me down. It is now sold, all part of the master plan regarding my decision to plop down a signature on the last day of the pre-sale. I have a hunch there may be a few more KGT's for sale once the hysteria really kicks in.

For now, back to lurking and working on the Ford GPW.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode