Worst Part of the K1600 Experience - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old May 13th, 2011, 2:09 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Talking Worst Part of the K1600 Experience

Got two hours of ride time on the K1600GTL at Irv Seaver's. Santiago Canyon Road through Live Oak and back over the hill to the 91, 57 and some city streets to sadly return it. The worst thing about the bike is that I got it with about 2 gallons of useful fuel and I experienced a small problem with the gas cap as it wasn't designed for that damn rubber boot on the pump nozzle (doesn't open far enough for unrestricted access). Annoying but uniquely Californian.

When I get my 6, they'll have to pry it out of my dead hands. I'm not flipping this bike for any amount of quick cash. I'm impressed but if you get to ride one, make sure it is full of fuel, you won't want to stop long enough to fill her up.

Oh and I rode the bike with my C3 SRC. Pairing was as simple as 1, 2, 3, Windshield nice enough not to require the face shield. Only adjusted it a tad to get the wind over the view port, then left it. No time to play with the dials, just selecting stations and using the engine modes....

Last edited by beavtm; May 13th, 2011 at 2:19 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old May 13th, 2011, 2:30 pm
Sooper Dooper Moderator

I envy you having that C3. Did you buy it at Seaver's? I went in and looked at them and I want one real bad, but I just can't come up with a BIG K for a helmet. Maybe some day.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old May 13th, 2011, 3:33 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

I got it before Seaver became a dealer for them. This is where I learned they run a size smaller than the Aria helmets. A medium in Aria means large for the C3; at least for me. The nice thing is the place I ordered it from allows one return per helmet for such things. If I knew, I would have waited a couple months and then go through the fitment at Seaver.

After all these years of riding I wanted a helmet that had the features Sububerth offered, especially as a eyeglass wearer. Yea, the price is up there and the SRC cost just adds to the price but how many people dump tons of cash into car stereos and rims? In such a comparison, the helmet is much easier to rationalize. I blew the cost of the SRC just trying out different communications devices and they were all compromises. The SRC is just smartly done and the battery lasts me all day. I've yet to deplete it.

Given the motorcycle experience requires a helmet, might as be one you are happy with. Thank the lawyers for the high prices.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old May 13th, 2011, 5:53 pm
Veteran

"Big K" meaning $1000?? I was going to get one from Germany, then decided on a fullface Shoei. Anyhow, from Germany, I could have gotten a Concept 3 for way less than $1000, closer to $500-600 range.
I'd check The Helmet Shop in Daytona (where I got my Shoei) to see if they handle Schuberth now that they are back.

I did check, not seeing Schuberth, you could email them and ask, maybe not on their site. Now that I got away from flipups and back into a modern fullface, I don't know if I'll ever go back. And that's after several decades with flip ups.
http://www.helmetshop.com/motorcycle_helmet.html

"No problem is so big or so complicated that it can't be run away from"

Dark Graphite: Making bikes faster for over 40 years.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old May 13th, 2011, 7:53 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

That price is with the SCR. Like some things, it's a personal choice.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old May 13th, 2011, 10:02 pm
Rookie

K1600GT in 38 F degree weather

I just rode the 1600 here in the Great White North May13 at winter temperature of 38 degrees F. The bike feels like a lighter unit due to the motor slung low. Great protection and power even in rain mode. One super touring sport bike. Unfortunately none to purchase due to short supply.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old May 14th, 2011, 12:21 pm
Sooper Dooper Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GillyWI
"Big K" meaning $1000??
Yep, but as already mentioned, that's with the SRC. My OTD price was a shade over 1K. As much as I want one, I just don't have the money for it. But I do plan to go back and try one on and make sure I know the right size, and then start an internet search for lower prices. And who knows? Maybe someday one of you guys will buy one and decide you don't like it and put it up for sale here.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old May 18th, 2011, 11:01 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Gonna be a problem for me because my wife wants the C3W.....
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2011, 12:55 pm
IBR# 366

Quote:
Originally Posted by beavtm
Gonna be a problem for me because my wife wants the C3W.....
Just picked up a C3W for my wife. She loves it.

I do recommend that you try them on to get the proper size. My wife was comfortable enough in a men's medium helmet, but we found a C3W medium and she was much happier with that fit.

Do call ahead though, as not all dealers carry all sizes and colors, especially in the C3W versions.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old May 29th, 2011, 1:21 pm

Thumbs up C3s & SRCS

Wife and I took the plunge as well - I went from my trusty X11 w/ Cardo Q2 to the C3 w/SRCS; the wife from her RF-1000 w/ Cardo Q2 to the C3W w/SRCS.

We both wear glasses, and the modular helmets are so much easier on us than the Shoeis were... Also nice not having to deal with sunglasses! For me, the bike-to-bike communications were more important than being able to change the volume on the handlebars; we're so used to being able to communicate that losing that capability would have been unacceptable.

A happy K1200GT (soon K1600GT, #59, hopefully) rider with an equally happy Monster 696 riding wife

-----
His: 2012 K1600GT
Hers: 2008 Buell Blast (for sale) & 2009 Ducati Monster 696

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode