Pilot Road 3? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 2011, 8:42 am Thread Starter

Pilot Road 3?

Currently running the OEM Metzler Z8 tires on my 1600GT. If they 'behave' anything like the Z6s I put on my 1200GT, I am sure I'll replace them with something else. Had very good luck with the Pilot Road 2's I used on the 1200 (rear tire 'B model').

Is there a similar 'gotcha' with the Pilot Road 3s? I.e. If I were to replace the Z8s with the PR3s, do I need to look for a 'B model' type rear tire?

P.S.: I get my tires from Southwest Moto (no affiliation) - great customer service, fast (free) shipping, and very reasonably priced. E.g. $135 front PR3 and $180 rear PR3 - way cheaper than the dealership can get them...

-----
His: 2012 K1600GT
Hers: 2008 Buell Blast (for sale) & 2009 Ducati Monster 696
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 2011, 9:47 am
Veteran

The Z8 looks to be quite different. Metzeler changed the profile and compound of the tire, significantly different tire from the Z6. That said I agree I hated the Z6 on my K12GT and took them off after 3K miles.. switched to PR 2.. now have the PR 3 which are super. As for the "B" rear on the K1600 I would absolutely positively want the "B" rear.. K1600 is 100lbs more bike than the K12-13GT, so the "B" rear should be considered mandatory on a K1600.. you lucky bastard :-)
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 2011, 11:02 pm Thread Starter

Thanks!

I will probably run the OEM Z8s down and then switch to the PR3s ('B model' in the back again) to compare. At least in the dry, the Z8s seem fine so far. Will have to see how they hold up.

-----
His: 2012 K1600GT
Hers: 2008 Buell Blast (for sale) & 2009 Ducati Monster 696
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 2011, 4:58 pm

PR3's

I have used several models of Metzlers on my K13, which gobbles rear tires every 4K. I tried Avon Storm 2's most recently. I like their road feel better than the Metz. They keep a good round profile longer for sure and continue to feel confident in the corners. The bike doesn't dive into corners the way the Metz always did once I had a couple K on them, the bike still transitions smoothly and confidently when Iunge into or out of a corner at any speed. I think the double compound tires are certainly able to stand up to this bike's rear-wheel-punishing tendencies better than the Metz. I haven't had an opportunity to ride in the rain yet as we are experiencing a draught here in NC. But with the central tread area having a significant pattern of wide sipes, I should think they would wander and hydroplane less than the Metz which always had me down to 40 mph in order to feel confident! -Dr Ron

2009 KGT makes me SMILE
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 2011, 11:35 pm

Michelin convert

Started out with stock Metzler Z6 (down to reinforcement belts in 6000 mi). Tried Bridgestones and Dunlops (forget which models, but each was recommended for my 03 1200 GT) with little or no improvement. Next tried Pilot Road-MUCH better wear and handling. Bought PR2 when they came out-even better than PR (>10000 mi). Just bought PR3, hoping for further improvement. It would take a REALLY bad experience to get me to switch from Michelin. IMHO, you can't go wrong with the PR series.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 2011, 12:55 pm
Veteran

I'll also add, I can't imagine switching from Michelin I've always been very happy with their wear and overall performance, count me a Michelin Man ;-)
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 2011, 9:07 pm

Found this linked on my local bike forum...
Not such good news for Michelin
http://www.fz6-forum.com/forum/fz6-g...-3-here-8.html

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode