K1600 Reliability and Service Costs - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old May 5th, 2012, 7:08 pm Thread Starter

K1600 Reliability and Service Costs

I've tossed around upgrading from my '03 K1200GT to a K1600GT, but frankly have been really leery of the reliability of the electronics on late model BMW bikes - the 1600 is just plain scary in that regard.

Interested in getting some insight from owners of these bikes - how reliable have they been? How many times have you had the bike in for warranty work? How high does the dealer dealer turn up the wallet vac for scheduled maintenance service? Is there any maintenance you can do yourself?

Mark

'03 BMW K1200GT (Orient Blue)
'00 BMW R1100SA (Mandarin/Silver)
'56 BMW R50 (for sale)
'74 R90S (Daytona Orange)
'06 Ducati Paul Smart Replica (for sale)
'81 Honda CBX SuperSport
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old May 7th, 2012, 2:34 pm
Enthusiast

Hey Mark,

I've got an '08 GT and am getting ever so closer to taking the plunge on a K1600GT. Not sure how many replies you're going to get here on the good ole K-Bikes site other than me and The Oracle (aka Ken Meese). I'd suggest you become a member of the K1600 Forum as I've been for months and read, read, read!

http://www.k1600forum.com/forum/

You can peruse all the various sections at your leisure and see the few niggling gaffs that have resulted since the introduction of this new platform. All in all, I think the K1600 variant is a ground breaking bike and extremely bulletproof & dependable given its major leap in technology. As far as maintenance goes, you can perform your own oil and final drive changes. At this exact moment however, the GS911 won't talk to the new K16. Reading fault codes and re-setting the annoying service minder lights will have to be performed by the dealer. Take heart though, Stephan at Hexcode is working diligently to bring the GS911 up to speed.

My only decision is do I score a 2012 bike at year end (hopefully at a discount) or do I bite the bullet and lock down a 2013.

Good luck!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 2012, 10:45 pm
Enthusiast

I have only 12,000 km on my K1600GT no problems other than the clunky drive train.Has an awesome motor !
cheers Andrew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 2012, 8:31 am
Noob

Smile

I was on the first group list to order and received my K1600GT a year ago this July. 12000 miles and not a problem, except water pump which was replaced under warranty 2 times. All is well now! Electronics are great I have had 0 problems. The times I have had problems it has been because I was not versed in the proper operation. My experience with most electronics has been mostly operator error or lack of knowledge. Drive train lash, yes there is some. All that can be adjusted to a certain extent through position of shifter, clutch lever position and even the habits you have when shifting! Everyone is different and their hand foot coordination will all play into the clunk. I ordered my 1600 because I am a big fan of the straight six or inline six as some call it. I still have 2 CBXs! Just my 2 cents. My suggestion is if you can do it, go for it life is to short to let it pass you by!!!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 2012, 8:33 am
Noob

The K1600, clunking transmission aside, is THE best bike out of 20 that I have owned. It has great power, refinement, and a look that is unique among motorcycles. I love the fact that there are so few on the road. Everywhere I ride, I get comments. People nod and smile at this bike even when I'm on the highway. I see drivers positioning their cars to get a better look. I will never look at another bike unless BMW trumps this one.
Evangelos K likes this.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 2012, 8:05 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo616
The K1600, clunking transmission aside, is THE best bike out of 20 that I have owned. It has great power, refinement, and a look that is unique among motorcycles. I love the fact that there are so few on the road. Everywhere I ride, I get comments. People nod and smile at this bike even when I'm on the highway. I see drivers positioning their cars to get a better look. I will never look at another bike unless BMW trumps this one.
looks of most late model beemers are the best and are truly timeless!!!

i've spent most my money on bike's boat's and broad's the rest i've wasted..
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 2017, 10:20 am
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkS View Post
I've tossed around upgrading from my '03 K1200GT to a K1600GT, but frankly have been really leery of the reliability of the electronics on late model BMW bikes - the 1600 is just plain scary in that regard.

Interested in getting some insight from owners of these bikes - how reliable have they been? How many times have you had the bike in for warranty work? How high does the dealer dealer turn up the wallet vac for scheduled maintenance service? Is there any maintenance you can do yourself?
I own a 2013 1600GT. It has been nothing but one problem after another. First was a constant loud squeak from the front shock. After arguing with two dealers, and presenting my service documentation, plus info off of forums it turns out it was a nationwide problem. One dealer, in conjunction with BMW replaced the shock.

Then the water pump problem.

Now the check engine light. First they replaced the controller with parts and labor $1700. Didn't make a bit of difference the light was still on when I went to pick it up, which the mechanic was aware of, so I left it there. Now they are working with BMW. Runs with light on, but when light flashes after a couple of miles, the engine loses one or two cylinders. I am sure that whenever it is diagnosed I will be told that the controller replacement was necessary anyway. I won't be able to prove any different.

I rode Harleys, with all of the warts, for over 55 years. Then changed to BMW because I thought they were more dependable.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 2018, 12:17 pm
Rookie

Seriously?

Quote:
Originally Posted by asquires View Post
I have only 12,000 km on my K1600GT no problems other than the clunky drive train.Has an awesome motor !
cheers Andrew
I can't believe someone would post that they have had no problems - other than a clunky drive train - with a bike that has a mere 12,000 KM. That's 7456 miles. I would hope you haven't had problems. That certainly isn't a test of reliability !!
Evangelos K likes this.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old May 25th, 2018, 4:44 pm
Noob

For what is worth it, my K1200S is now 11 years old (2007) with 25000 miles. Has had 3 owners including me, and I was actually surprised when I bought it that every single thing works on it. . From the ESA, to the heated grips, to the auto illuminated cluster, to the self-canceling signals; you name it.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 2018, 8:25 pm
Noob

thinking of buying a 2015 K1600Gt with 8000km on it any advice. Thanks Mike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode