K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion - View Single Post - Norcal BMW club 49'er Rally
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old May 28th, 2009, 10:57 pm Thread Starter
rhhall
Will ride for picts

Norcal BMW club 49'er Rally

Had a great Memorial Day weekend attending the BMW Club of Northern California's 49'er rally. We met up with FletchTech and rode around his stomping grounds for a couple days. Full narrative and more pics at: http://rhhall.smugmug.com/gallery/8349711_nhr6n

For the ride from Minden to Auburn we headed around the southside of Lake Tahoe, passing Horsetail Falls on Highway 50:

Took the back way towards Auburn, on Icehouse Road, passing Stumpy Meadows Reservoir

Approaching Auburn, we pass by the Foresthill Bridge, California's tallest at 730 feet.

After setting up camp, we took a look around and saw Beemers of all types and vintages. Here's an early airhead with Earles forks.

And an interesting temperature gauge mod on a 1st Gen K-1200GT:

That night, we watched the Speedway races, including sidecars. This was a hoot.

Saturday was time to enter the poker run. My friends Chris, FletchTech and wife, and myself and fiance rode together. We were literally in FletchTech's backyard, so getting lost wasn't a problem. Here Chris heads towards the next stop on his vintage R90S:

We did about 75% of the poker run, and decided to end the ride for the day by stopping at a winery. I picked up a nice Merlot, and then we headed back to the rally site. Here's where you learn to ride German bikes fast ... at Schnell School!

It was a great day for riding, especially if you stayed above 4,000 feet.

After shutting down the Bier Garten for the second night in a row, we awoke Sunday morning with a much reduced desire to ride. Good thing the trials competition was planned for the morning. We saw some bikes get ridden in places they weren't meant to be ridden, like this 1980's vintage Yamaha XS850 Special:

Or this airhead getting air:

An F-650GS getting both wheels off the ground:

Later in the afternoon, we went for a short ride to finish the poker run.

Some folks were having entirely too much fun on the poker run:

It was a pretty incredible coincidence that the route took us past one of our favorite vineyards, so we had to stop and sample a flight ... a bottle of Syrah and Port made it back to camp site this time. They didn't survive the evening.

The owner of the vineyard has a thing for Cushmans. They were made right down the street from where I attended college, so I like them too... GO BIG RED!

The last time we stopped here, the owner brought out a nitrous equipped Cushman:

We made it back to camp and had a great evening celebrating the weekend. Maria won an Olympic Stealth one-piece riding suit, which really capped a great weekend.

Sierra Cement: Good for skis, bad for knees.

www.rhhall.smugmug.com

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome