BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

custom leathers

2K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  aznatama 
#1 ·
link to original thread on ibmw

http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=22450

So it seems like this company in Denmark is able to make a custom tailored suit for about 750eur + shipping + taxes

anyone heard of them? looks like a great deal for a custom fitted suit that looks good (IMO). They can also make any suit a 1pc or 2pc. (I'd of for 2pc, easier to take off... )

The other alternative I have would be the $999 BKS suit that cyclegear currently has for sale w/ free BKS gloves. Their size 40 fits me very well, although slightly on the snug side which should be fine after break-in.

I'm aiming for about 1k for a new 2pc leather suit and race gloves. I don't think 1k will cover adding boots... and after reading reviews on Frank Thomas stuff, I don't know if I want to go that route.

#2 ·
These guys do custom suits, have a good reputation and they aren't too far from you (important if you need something fixed or altered later).
http://www.zcustom.com/

#3 ·
I've seen z-leathers before, and whilst they are only a few blocks from where I work, their designs look like @$$ IMO... not to mention that their pricing for a jacket+pants starts at $1350, + any additional embroidery/patches/logos.

d-wears has a ton of different designs that actually looks good IMO, and won't make you look like you picked up a set of leathers from the 80's. Plus, cost would be less than $1350 shipped to my door.

I wonder... how much it would cost to get a leather suit re-stitched or seams reinforced if need be? might be worth the risk if this was available locally just in case.

#4 ·
haha, I didn't look at the suits when I posted yesterday but now that you mention it I've seen them before and they weren't very stylish. I haven't heard anything about the suit you mentioned. Up here the most well known custom suit is Helimot, this is what most of the AFM guys are wearing because of its crash worthiness. Of course it is way out of your budget.

I don't know that you're going to find a custom, stylish looking suit, that has been tested to hold up well in a crash for $1350. With that being said, I am posting a link for a custom suit that is cheap but its crash worthiness needs to be evaluated by you. There are a lot of street riders here who have bought this suit and some of them have tested it on the pavement and improvements have been made as a result. I'm not recommending it or telling you not to buy it, just pointing it out as an option based on your budget.
Tilt Custom Suits
Tilt Custom Suit reviews

#5 ·
excerpts from the emails I've been exchanging w/ D-Wears.

"Our leather quality is call Premium A+, 1.3 – 1.5 mm in thickness"

"The leather is a heavy type compared to kangaroo leather, but the thick one also protects against burns from the tarmac-slide. This is why we don’t do kangaroo leather."

"Link to pictures of one test driver who did a glide on the tarmac and ended in the gravel with 135 Km/t (approx. 85 Mph) with the bike on top of him. He didn’t even had a scratch or any marks on the skin. http://www.dragtdesigneren.dk/page_info.php?pages_id=48&pages_name=En%20glidende%20beretning&language=en"

"in December we added Kevlar back side security stitches on exposed areas."

"All CE-protectors are the right ones – NOT copy-versions – and customer can free of charge choose if he/she wants changeable hip/thigh protector pads added.

All zippers are the strongest versions of YKK-zippers.

We always do our best to please the customers. Although our business is a niche and Denmark is a very small Motorcycle market, we have almost 220 suits out on the streets in Denmark, with very very few complains."

Seems like a good suit IMO.

#6 ·
Have you looked into Bates Leathers? They are in your neck of the woods. I can vouch for the quality and support. Dana runs a mom and pop shop and it's made in U.S.A.

#7 ·
Did you get your leathers? I need to buy another set after testing out my Joe Rocket leathers. :(

#8 ·
I was considering those leathers, but currently have no real use for them since it's friggin hot outside and I can't afford leathers AND track school.... and one without the other is useless more or less.... I'll be sticking to my textiles for now at least until winder rolls around.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.