BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

2000 K1200rs Cranks but wont start???

16K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  voxmagna 
#1 ·
I have a 2000 K1200RS, This bike has had all its scheduled mainenance done at the dealership. now I strugle ust to pay bills and am having an issue with the bike. I rode this bike yesterday as I always do and had no problems. i went to go ride it today and it would not start. Turn on the key, the fuel pump does it's thing, crank it over and no start?? just cranks over but wont start. can someone give me an idea as to where to start the troubleshooting, - has this happened to anyone else? how do you fix it.

Thx...

#3 ·
MikeK said:
first thing to determine:

does the fuel pump cycle when you turn the key to 'run'
Yes, The fuel pump cycles as it should, all the instrument lights that normally would come on still do. everything still works as it always did with the exception that the engine will not start. it cranks over and no start. My 1st guess would be the no spark (ignition control modual or coil maybe). But I am more of a car mechanic then a bike mechanic. I know the princibles are the same or similar, but I have never had to really work on the bike before, as I always took it to the dealer..

Rick...

#4 ·
Is the bike in neutral ?

Is the sidestand down, cuz there's an interlock on it.

If you're trying to start the bike while it's on the sidestand, and if the bike is in gear but you figure "no big deal, I've got the clutch pulled in " it won't start.

Just a suggestion.

#5 ·
IIRC there is a sidestand switch, a clutch lever switch (both prone to failure) plus a neutral indicator that all must agree before the bike will start. doublecheck, triplecheck, jump out as necessary

simplest way to check for ignition is to clamp an inductive timing light on a sparkplug lead right at the coil (no fairings to remove).

do you have fuel line Quick Disconnects? I've had a K12 come into my shop (no start) that I found a QD had come unplugged. Fixed that, still no start, pulled tank/fuelpump and found internal fuel line had blown off from running fuelpump against headheading QD

HTH,

#7 ·
If its cranking then it wouldn't be any of the switches but you might have wash down from too much fuel....pull your plugs... put a few drops of motor oil in each cyl put your plugs back in and try to start..remember to change your motor oil ASAP.cause might have excessive gas in your crank case this happened to me once..don't know why and it never did it again ....one other thought...make sure you haven't got a bad tank of gas...never know what comes out of those stations when they get low on gas...

#8 ·
BAK04GT said:
If its cranking then it wouldn't be any of the switches but you might have wash down from too much fuel....pull your plugs... put a few drops of motor oil in each cyl put your plugs back in and try to start..remember to change your motor oil ASAP.cause might have excessive gas in your crank case this happened to me once..don't know why and it never did it again ....one other thought...make sure you haven't got a bad tank of gas...never know what comes out of those stations when they get low on gas...
Yes flooding is easy with these bikes if you start rolling the throttle when cranking (don't do it, leave it on the idle stop)

If he pulls a plug then he might as well a) See if there's a spark and b) See if the plug is wet and smells of gas or smells gas at the muffler spout.

On a flooded motor, I usually put all 4 plugs on a gas cooker burner and heat until the yellow flame from gas and oil goes away, then put all 4 plugs back hot and crank. This has never failed yet.

#9 ·
what I have done.

OK all - alot of good things to look @.. I pulled the skins to expose the tank and such. I do have spark, I did clean the plugs, I do have fuel but dont think I am getting enough of it. There were a few times I fired but still didnt start. when the plug were out and after disconnecting the coil I cranked it over and it appeared that fuel anly came out of the1st few cylinders less from #2 and hardley from #3 and none that I cld see from #4. - even though the fuel pump cycles could it not be enough pressure, I cant find a valve to hook a pressure guage to.

Rick

#10 ·
It is fixed and running again.

ok you ready for this, - who was it taht saidthe furl lines in the tank may have popped off. that was exactly the issue. the fuel line popped of right after the fuel filter so the fuel was just pumping right back into the tank. rather then to thge fuel rail.. the issue is resolved. thanks everyone.

Rick

#11 ·
Are you ready for this:

Perhaps the fuel filter was getting blocked and that's why the hose popped off?

Did you fit a new filter?

There is no over pressure relief valve on the input side of the fuel filter. Although the hose should be properly secured, if you haven't recently changed the filter, your fault might be telling you something about its condition.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.