BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

Stebel Magnum Horn

6K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  Razel 
#1 ·
Has anyone tried the Single Stebel Magum horn? This is the horn that was in this months BMW ON.
Will it fit in the stock position of a RS without any modes?

STEBEL MAGNUM HORN - 136dB STB-MAG

Unit Price: £12.00

Detailed Description
Little brother to the Nautilus - smaller but still with a decent volume and much louder than the OE item.

Small enough to fit onto the R1200GS, R1200RT, R1200ST, K1200S, K1200R and ALL MODERN MOTORCYLCES where space is at a premium. Fits in place of the OE horn and connected in minutes using the spade connectors provided.
Specification:
Legality: ECE homologated
Maximum loudness: 136 dB
Type of sound: single tone.
Weight: 280g
Metal parts treatment: zinc plated
Trumpet material: ABS plastic.
Size: 85mm x 90mm x 60mm
Note: Low single note.
Also includes: fitment bracket and spade connectors.
Fitment:
All models without exception.

See less See more
#7 ·
Ok...Pirate isn't paying me to do this. At the motorcycle show in San Jose, I went by a display for California Sports Touring and was investigating the Nautalus version made by Stebel. Was trying to figure out how it would fit etc., as I was curious about something louder than the dual-fiaam horns I got (purchased at Pirate's Lair). At the end of the day, the guy working at the booth came out to his bike and we started talking horns again. He had the loud nautalus horns mounted on his ST1300. Side by side, 10 feet apart, neither one could figure out which was the louder horn. Enough so I'm not considering replacing them unless there's something more radically different (and is still legal).

So, Jerry...if you're reading this (as if...), don't be surprised if the level isn't about the same.

#8 ·
Not sure what happened there because my Nautilus is definitely much louder than my brother's dual fiaams, no doubt about. It does draw a lot of juice at 18A. I used 12 gauge wire to minimize voltage drop. I read somewhere that smaller wiring can actually affect the volume. The Magnum looks good though with its ease of installation.

#10 ·
geothepencil said:
Do you have a photo of the installation ?
Hi George,
Its difficult to get a clear picture of it. On the first picture you can see that its vertical (as recommended), the trumpets are on the far side (next the the fairing) facing frontwards. I had to work with my PIAA lights and although it does not look like it on the pic, there is adequate clearance. I used the existing horn mount but bent it to a different shape. The red line on the second pic (top view) shows the way I bent it. For extra measure, I then drilled two holes (3rd pic) in the black plastic "under fairing", put a piece of rubber between the black plastic and the horn and then secured it with a zip tie. Hope this helps.

Attachments

#11 ·
dual FIAM's

I installed the dual FIAAM's on my K1200 RS a few days ago, see attached picture. The wiring is simple, no added relay, installed them in parallel to existing wiring.

I also have an '04 R1150 RT, which came with dual horns. The new horns on the K RS are slightly less loud than the factory RT horns. Nevertheless, they are much louder than the originial K RS horn.

Ron

Attachments

#12 ·
Product Review: Stebel Magnum Horn Review and Sound Byte

as promised, I just posted a full review of the Stebel Magnum horn with a sound byte over in the Accessories, Gadgets, Gear and Assistance section...

#13 ·
Seems much louder to me...

Pirate said:
as promised, I just posted a full review of the Stebel Magnum horn with a sound byte over in the Accessories, Gadgets, Gear and Assistance section...

Jerry, I'm embarrassed to say how long I prowled all over your site looking for "Gadgets, Gear and Assistance" before I realized you were referring to THIS site! I played your test, and I agree with Amber that it's much louder than stock. Is it as loud as I would want? No. But if it's a straight across swap out, bolt on, plug in, no brainer, it might be for me. What do you think about the room under the hood on an RS? Will it fit on an RS without any trouble?

#15 ·
chuckwilmot said:
J But if it's a straight across swap out, bolt on, plug in, no brainer, it might be for me. What do you think about the room under the hood on an RS? Will it fit on an RS without any trouble?
Chuck, from what I've read, the Stebel should fit (albeit snug if my memory serves me). I have the dual fiams on my RS (dead center under oil coler, sandwhiched between piaas).

#16 ·
Sir Chuck of Wilmot.. I believe theirs plenty of room for TWO Stebel horns under RS panties...One would easily mount where the stock RS horn is.. a direct bolt on... and I think a second one would still be easier than mounting on an S...

The S just simply doesn't have much room under her skirt.

chuckwilmot said:
Jerry, I'm embarrassed to say how long I prowled all over your site looking for "Gadgets, Gear and Assistance" before I realized you were referring to THIS site! I played your test, and I agree with Amber that it's much louder than stock. Is it as loud as I would want? No. But if it's a straight across swap out, bolt on, plug in, no brainer, it might be for me. What do you think about the room under the hood on an RS? Will it fit on an RS without any trouble?

#18 ·
chuckwilmot said:
I'm not much of an electrician, but I can bolt on and plug in with the best of them. Thanks Pirate.
Here's a couple of views with the Fiaams. Might help...my biggest concern was making sure the fork tubes didn't hit the horn openings

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.