first K1200S - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 2018, 1:51 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Garage
Red face first K1200S

Hi, I just picked up my first BMW 2006 K1200s. I How can I find out if I have ABS? I tried running Vin decoder but didn't find anything.
How much should +/- a servile cost, if I am changing all the brake pads, all the liquids oil, etc.... ?

Thank you for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 2018, 3:31 pm
Enthusiast

It's been a while since I gave this subject any thought, but I do recall that if you brake really hard on dry pavement, the brakes will pulse as the abs cycles. Other than that, you would have to remove the tank to see if there is an abs module there. It looks like a small box with something like 6 hydraulic lines coming off it as well as some bleed nipples. If you do have abs, the whole bleeding procedure is more complicated than what you would do on a non abs bike. I'm sure that a search of this site or just google it will provide you with the procedure. If you are going to have the dealer give it the once over, not a bad idea, have them check valve clearances, change coolant and brake fluid at the same time as doing the valves uncovers all that. Changing coolant is a more involved procedure also requiring bleeding air out of the engine. There are members here who are the adventurous sort and do their own maintenance but the above are very time consuming even if you know what you are doing.

Jim

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode