Hoping to replace or rebuild motor on my 2005 K1200S - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 2019, 12:16 am Thread Starter
Noob

Hoping to replace or rebuild motor on my 2005 K1200S

Hi,

I bought a beautiful blue 2005 K1200 s back in 2011 with 11k miles on it and have since used it for getting around the city, commuting to work, driving up to wine country and Tahoe, and bombing down the I5 to visit my sister in LA.

It has been a great bike for me that I've loved. Last year I had an issue where I hadn't been using it much, and some mice made it their home and chewed on a bunch of wiring, causing one of the cylinders to miss. I brought it to the shop and they fixed it up. Then I started a new job where I have to commute 45 miles rather than walk to work as I've been doing for the last four years.

I probably should have gotten a major service done since I was now putting a lot of hard miles on the bike every day, but I got lazy and said I'd get around to it once I had a couple of pay checks in the bank.

Well, just as I drove out of the tunnel on the bay bridge towards Oakland, it threw a rod through the crank case. There was no warning ahead of time, the bike sounded and seemed to be running great. Just bang, severe vibrations, cloud of smoke from oil hitting the muffler, then finally the low oil pressure light, and just when I had rolled down and into the toll plaza parking lot, it completely shut down.

I had it towed to BMW Moto SF where I've always had it serviced, and when the checked underneath, we could see the bottom of the rod sticking out of the crank case. Unfortunately, my insurance does not cover this type of scenario.

So my options were to put it up for salvage, advertise it as a parts bike on CL, or maybe see if I could do an engine swap or rebuild.

I brought it over to Piston and Chain and signed up for a project box while I figure out what to do. Unfortunately, I don't have a space where I live that I could work on it since the CC&Rs of my condo HOA forbid doing mechanical work on vehicles in the garage for liability reasons.

I've seen a couple of whole motors advertised on ebay for between 650 and 950 dollars. I also found a used lower crank case and block advertised.

So, now I am trying to learn about doing the swap or rebuild. In any event, to remove the old motor, it seems I need the clutch wrench tool and the engine lock tool. I looked on ebay but didn't seem to find any listed.

Anybody know someplace where I could find those as a reasonable price rather than buying them new from BMW?

Also, I can't seem to find a printed version of the shop manual or even a good PDF that I could then print out or at least reference on my computer when I'm working on the bike at the club. Any suggestions where to find a printed manual or PDF?

And advise greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Peter K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode