BMW K1200RS - Denmark - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By sailor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 2020, 1:00 pm Thread Starter
Noob

BMW K1200RS - Denmark

Hi guys
I am the owner of a bmw K1200rs. Living in Denmark.
Recently while idling the bike stop suddenly.
I opened up the left cover to see they the intake cam was NOT rotating. After removal I see that the little split pin holding the sprocket to the cam shaft was sheared broken. I removed the cam and am waiting for a new cam sprocket to arrive.
I have joined this forum because I hope one of you guys can help with some issues ..
1. Any chance that the valves have gone untouched. I have measured their height and they all seem to be in the same closed position.
2. How do I set the cams in the correct position once I have mounted the new sprocket?

If the valves are bent then I will buy another second hand engine. Any issues with the ECU from mine pairing with a new engine?
Any thing I should be aware of with an engine change?

Thanks a lot.
Regards
Michael
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 2020, 1:38 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael.lucinda View Post
Hi guys
I am the owner of a bmw K1200rs. Living in Denmark.
Recently while idling the bike stop suddenly.
I opened up the left cover to see they the intake cam was NOT rotating. After removal I see that the little split pin holding the sprocket to the cam shaft was sheared broken. I removed the cam and am waiting for a new cam sprocket to arrive.
I have joined this forum because I hope one of you guys can help with some issues ..
1. Any chance that the valves have gone untouched. I have measured their height and they all seem to be in the same closed position.
2. How do I set the cams in the correct position once I have mounted the new sprocket?

If the valves are bent then I will buy another second hand engine. Any issues with the ECU from mine pairing with a new engine?
Any thing I should be aware of with an engine change?

Thanks a lot.
Regards
Michael
Welcome Michael !

Good intro in proper forum, BUT for future post / question you should use the appropriate k1200RS forum where you will get more answers - not many K1200RS owner will visit this "new memeber - intro" section.
K1200RS/GT "brick-engine" forum here: https://www.k-bikes.com/forums/42-k1200rs-gt-classic/

ABOUT YOUR current PROBLEM:
On these K1200RS/LT/GT "brick-engine" , in last 18 years, the only time we have seen such problem was a bad installation of the bolt at end of either camshaft(s) holding the sprocket(s). Either the torque was not proper (lower than spec), or someone has installed the sprocket just a bit offset from the slot machined in camshafts. Doubt very much this would be at factory - most probable is after a valve job OR a timing-cover removal job.

By experience on many other engines, I would say there is 99% chance one OR several valves are bent. Following proper installation of camshafts / Sprockets, you should do a compression test (or a leak-down test) to confirm any defective valves. Both the BMW service manual AND the CLYMER service manual (English only) will give you the method to align camshafts marks with piston Top-Dead-Center (TDC) to properly re-install camchain and sprockets (relative to TDC). The CLYMER manual is much better with more details and more pictures - about $US$ 43 on this side of the Atlantic.

A good used K1200RS engine is not so easy to find these days - many parts breaker (often insurance claims parted bike) will sell these on EBAY however not all these engines are as good as they may appear from the ad - you have to be carefull to buy from a seller having good reputation. There are some good deal if you are patient and do your homework and research. Brand new parts from BMW are much too expensive for such a project (cylinder head and maybe damaged pistons)

All K1200RS engine are basically the same for all years EXCEPT the early models (mainly 1997 and some early 1998) had connecting-rods issue that can cause major engine damage. You can also buy a K1200GT engine of 2003-2005 as they are the same as the late K1200RS. WARNING: DO NOT BUY a K1200LT engine !!

Any Motronic ECU from any K1200RS will work on any of these engine, although the last generation Motronic-ECU are a bit more fuel efficient (part number ending with "296"). It is possible your concerns are based on info you are read from later BMW models using CAN-BUS system like the K1200S, K1300S, K1300GT - these are very different systems with different more complex ECU - this does NOT apply to the earlier k1200RS/GT/LT - on our K1200RS the ECU are not coded with serial number or internal mileage / usage data.
Beech likes this.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)

Last edited by sailor; Apr 2nd, 2020 at 1:54 pm.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 2020, 4:00 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Wow - great answer John. Thanks a lot. Really helpful.
I will get on to purchasing a used engine ASAP. Actually have one lined up already for approx 420usd with 100k on the clock.
So even if I am 1% lucky .. ie. no valves bent .. the I have a reserve engine in case of future problems.
Michael
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 2020, 6:02 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael.lucinda View Post
Wow - great answer John. Thanks a lot. Really helpful.
I will get on to purchasing a used engine ASAP. Actually have one lined up already for approx 420usd with 100k on the clock.
So even if I am 1% lucky .. ie. no valves bent .. the I have a reserve engine in case of future problems.
Michael
Do you know the YEAR of the K1200RS the engine was taken from ?
You really want to avoid the early models engines (mainly 1997 and some 1998).

If not too late, ask the seller to take a photo of the engine serial-number to compare with my attached photo below. For all K1200RS/GT/LT engine serial number is located on right side on lower engine block, close to clutch housing, just behind the oil-sight-glass.

You absolutely want to see the "124EA" and also check if year is above "98" (can be up to "05"). The other 4 digits at end are not important.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	K1200RS_Engine_Serial_number_YEAR.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	26563  

John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode