BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

Hi From Ireland

899 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Honolulu 
#1 ·
Hi

My name's Dave and I am the writer of Bigbikemad website and YouTube channel.

I've been riding since 1978 and currently have a BMW K1300GT as a project bike.

I typically buy / borrow 5-10 bikes a year for review /projects / maintenance tasks and post the results online, mostly YouTube.

I also review clothing and accessories, and share experience videos where I fit various parts to bikes. Its just a hobby - I'm not a professional, just an ordinary bloke, enjoying bikes.

The hobby means that I've ridden around 80 different bikes in the last 10 years. BMW's include F650GS, K1200 / 1300GT's, K1300S, R1200RT.

Non BM's are as varied as a Harley V-rod and a Kawasaki K14 (ZZR 1400).

I live in Ireland in a cottage on the edge of the sea - next stop over the water = USA!

I retired early so plenty of time for motorcycles.

See less See more
#4 ·
Failte

Where are you located ? Have family in Ballina ,Mayo area and Cahirciveen ,Kerry , sorry to say we have`nt been over in some years miss it ! I'm in Connecticut USA just retired and I'm getting my K1200 gt back on the road , I will take a look at your site and feel free to contact if me, I`m in the next parish west of you. all the best!

#6 · (Edited)
Dave, I read the review of the K1300GT (have a 2010 with 32,000 miles).
WTF #1, you say it's your site but someone else wrote the review...?
WTF #2, all the bike reviews are dated September 2015...?
WTF #3, the site copyright date is 2017...?

If there's ONE THING you can do for your readers, let them know that there is essentially NO TECHNICAL advice or service information available for the K1300. The factory DVD is a nice parts replacement guide, but contains zero, nada, nothing, about how the various systems of the bike function or interact. The online parts fiche is, I suppose, complete, but it calls many of the electrical sensors "switch" with no identification of which "switch" does what. As a result, the owner is left at the mercy of the dealers and their techs.

Speaking of the techs, the one I spoke with expressed his frustration that tech info isn't available to them either. They take in a bike for some problem and have to plug it into the computer, which interrogates the ECU, electronically discussed the results with Big Brother, then instructs the tech "change the frammis" without explanation.

If you spend for the aftermarket devices to interrogate the bike (I have a GS-911) know that the values you get from various systems, and the real-time data, can't be compared to "normal" values, because no one, not even Hex-Code who sell the device, can or will tell you what "normal" is. Surely they know... but won't divulge.

So although I love the bike, and it's far too much to enjoy on an island with a million peeps and only 20 miles by 30... I live in fear that SOMETHING will go wrong. Last time it cost USD1400 to get a $250 fuel pressure sensor diagnosed and corrected at the dealer. Hope it doesn't happen to you!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.