BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

Wheels

3K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  GriderPirate 
#1 ·
I have a 2004 GT and dented the rear wheel rim on a brick in the road. There are plenty of that style wheel around but in the 5" width but not the 5.5" of the gt. I know this style wheel was fitted to other models, R1100s, LT for example, but some, like the 1100S had brake disc fixings in the inside. Does anyone know if the wheel from other BMW models of the same era will fit the GT, other than the RS wheel obviously?

cheers.

#2 ·
Haydn said:
I have a 2004 GT and dented the rear wheel rim on a brick in the road. There are plenty of that style wheel around but in the 5" width but not the 5.5" of the gt. I know this style wheel was fitted to other models, R1100s, LT for example, but some, like the 1100S had brake disc fixings in the inside. Does anyone know if the wheel from other BMW models of the same era will fit the GT, other than the RS wheel obviously?

cheers.
My RS has the 5.5" rear wheel. It was an option for the early RS (not sure if it was standard on the later RS's). Therefore, they are not as readily available as the 5.0" rear wheel.

#4 ·
Haydn said:

cheers.
I have an extra rear wheel for you.

#5 ·
Others would know for sure if the wheels are transferrable, but I don't think so, except between the RS and GT. I had the opposite issue, had a damaged 5" and could only find 5 1/2" a year ago. I finally found what I was looking for at Beemerboneyard for significantly less than new. But as Papilio says, straightening a bent rim is standard work for many places. The FrameMan in Sacrmento and others. Though Dented may be different from bent.....I have had both front and rear wheels on my RS bikes straightened at The FrameMan and I seem to remember it was in the $120 range, depending on how much work had to be done.

#6 ·
Y2K12RS said:
Others would know for sure if the wheels are transferrable, but I don't think so, except between the RS and GT. I had the opposite issue, had a damaged 5" and could only find 5 1/2" a year ago. I finally found what I was looking for at Beemerboneyard for significantly less than new. But as Papilio says, straightening a bent rim is standard work for many places. The FrameMan in Sacrmento and others. Though Dented may be different from bent.....I have had both front and rear wheels on my RS bikes straightened at The FrameMan and I seem to remember it was in the $120 range, depending on how much work had to be done.
Same price in Napa (California) at GP Frame and Wheel where I had rear wheel repaired from a cattle-guard crossing in Texas. Except for the crayon mark, you'd be hard-pressed to find the location.

#9 ·
Wheel size determines tire size, larger rear tire moves the thrust line.....fatter rear tire means quicker steering all else remaining the same. 5.5" rear wheel allows a 185 - 60 17 compared to a 170 - 60 17. Narrower front does the same. I used a 110-70 17 front race tire on my KRS for track days and it made a significant difference relative to the 120-70 17 street tires I otherwise use.

#10 ·
Thanks for the responses guys. tvtommy, I would have asked you to mail me your spare one but to the UK it will probably cost a lot. I have had the dent removed, £80, (about $120 I guess). Hopefully it should be ok. I could have put a 5"er on it but I've only just bought a new tyre. cheers,H.

#12 ·
Wheel work

Straightening BMW wheels isn't rocket science. There must be a dozen shops in the UK that could do it, and at least here, it doesn't cost a lot. I had a fairly significantly (over 3/8" out of round) bent front wheel on my RS front wheel straightened and it cost $60.00. He got it within .020" of dead true.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.