BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

Your test ride require you to "Follow the dealer?"

3K views 15 replies 15 participants last post by  Sabre2870 
#1 ·
Been out this week negotiating the deals on the S1000R from sundry northern California dealers. I really hate that game, but as one dealer said "Everything's negotiable" which was interesting.

Some dealers said they will require you to follow them on a test ride. Never experienced this before and wondering if anyone has? Others have some set route they want you to follow. Some require pre-approval from management too.

Prices do seem to run $800 from high to low quotes so far with much hovering around some "Dealer prep fee" which some don't do. Seems to be the larger dealers that apply this one.

Mack

#2 ·
the dealer in Barrington Illinois will not even let you take a test ride on a used bike no way no how not even with cash in hand.At least you get a test ride

Dave

#3 ·
Both my dealers BMW Manhattan and Cliffs in Danbury Ct, not only permit trest rides, but encourage you to do so and even arrange if you want it for a weekend test > itook my current ride 1300GT for 3 hours. My previous 06 GT was a mere 2 hours. I would never buy a bike without a test ride, similar to testing out autos....

#4 ·
Here in Southern California, BMW dealers are the only ones who consistently have allowed and encouraged test rides. BMW dealers have been most flexible, even to the point of setting up weekend test rides for some riders.

The local Triumph/Ducati/Victory dealer has a long history of supporting test rides. Since sales slowed in the last year, Harley dealers have joined the test ride bandwagon.

Motorcycle dealers who sell Japanese motorcycles have never allowed test rides, even on used bikes, even with long time customers (e.g., more than 20 years). They cite liability and insurance when asked.

Some of the dealers ask you to ride a prescribed route. The reason is so that they know where to start looking for you if you do not return in a timely manner.

#5 ·
Test ride

Our Milwaukee BMW dealer encourages test rides. First time customers are grilled before the ride. Known customers get tossed the keys - amd are told to have fun. On limited production bikes - HP2 - etc. they are more persnickety.

#7 ·
GMack said:
Some dealers said they will require you to follow them on a test ride. Never experienced this before and wondering if anyone has? Others have some set route they want you to follow. Some require pre-approval from management too.
That was my experience with my local BMW dealer (maybe I'm not a good enough customer - eg don't buy enough bikes). Couple of years ago did a test ride on a R1200GS - had to follow the sales rep, short ride, set route, never above 45 - total BS.

On the other hand, local Ducati dealer, and the local Victory dealer say, 'show me your insurance and license, and if you you want an interesting ride go here. Just try to be back in an hour'.

#8 ·
Cal-Moto in Mountain View (Calif.) lets you go on your own for demo rides. But, I understand if you are test-riding the S1000RR, you get a tag-along with that model. Not that they have anything the sales person could ride that can keep up ...

#9 ·
XMagnaRider said:
...............Some of the dealers ask you to ride a prescribed route. The reason is so that they know where to start looking for you if you do not return in a timely manner.
This makes sense. Back in the early '90s a customer at the Springs' only downtown MC dealer did a test ride and was killed about five blocks from their shop. Some yahoo ran a stop sign and nailed him. The dealer was a multi brand shop who has long since tightened up their test ride requirements.

Before the local HD conglomerate bought out the BMW-Duc dealer we could come in and take out just about any bike. I have no idea how the cruisers-R-us shop now.

#10 ·
It's an understandable practice that non-BMW dealers do when they offer a demo. They don't want every squid with the ink still wet on their MC endoresment taking it out for a ride and wadding the bike up in the process. My dealer is still figuring out how he's going to handle the test ride situation, although he said I can take it out anytime I want. :D

#14 ·
spanky said:
I have no idea how the cruisers-R-us shop now.
What, Harleys? They don't need to test drive. It's all about the image. They sit on one in the showroom with a big mirror to look in, like a 17 year old buying a prom dress.

MISCHLERS HD/BMW was good to me for testing out a 1200GT. They had a used one they let me loose on, with no real time limit. Then I tried a new one, they did sort of want me to keep that short as it was a zero-mile bike, but I wanted to try it as it was stock (the used one had a bigger windshield and peg lowers on it). I did end up buying the new one.
And they have a nice big mirror for the Harleys.

Gilly

#15 ·
We all bitch and complain when BMW doesn't get it right, but here they not only get it right, they set the standard for test ride policies. BMW has the best test ride policy of any motorcycle manufacturer. I had a weekend test ride on a K1200GT which was followed by a quick sale. Try to get a test ride on an FJR.

#16 ·
GillyWI said:
What, Harleys? They don't need to test drive. It's all about the image. They sit on one in the showroom with a big mirror to look in, like a 17 year old buying a prom dress.

Gilly
Except that its like a 60 year old trying on a prom dress its really kind of sad :eek:ldster: While I was at my dealer getting my bike serviced the subject of test rides came up while I was talking to one of the salesmen. He told me about a guy that came in and took one bike out came back and wanted to try another came back and wanted.... They cut him off after the third bike. The salesman told me that they kind of get a feeling about a potential customer and if they think he is serious they will grant him a test ride but it is not something that they offer to try to convince someone who is on the fence.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.