BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

Brake switch

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Sunchaser 
#1 ·
Hello (again)

I am having issues with the brake servo not functioning when I start up. I stop and flick the lever and pedal and nothing changes, then I reach down to the rear switch and wiggle the tang from side to side and drive a bit and the light goes off and the brakes work properly. Real nuisance!

Can anyone describe the logical function and check sequence that occurs when this oh-so sophisticated system boots-up, please? Is the switch purely for the brake light and are they prone to fail? What else could be causing this?

TIA

#2 · (Edited)
Switch prone to fail....yes, and easy to throw it out of alignment too. But under most circumstances,it does have to be off for the ABS to perform a proper self-test.
Turning the ignition on and starting the bike with either the front or rear brake on, no self-test and flashing ABS light. :(
So careful when you start the bike downhill like I sometimes have to do to board a ferry.....! :yeow:
I'm trying to remember what I do here, beside most times parking sideways so I don't have to use the brakes. Bike in gear no brakes, ignition on, then brakes on, put in neutral, then start the bike, then it should do the self test as you release the brakes and get going.
Once you get that switch sorted out you may want to practice that a bit, it has been a few months for me, will be another one before I can try that again. :thumb:

#4 · (Edited)
Thanks both of you for the replies.

"Turning the ignition on and starting the bike with either the front or rear brake on, no self-test and flashing ABS light. "

This is no doubt, me. I will mind the condition.

Also... replacing the rear break lever that bent when I dropped it last week. I bent it back with a large box-end wrench but the plating cracked and flaked and I am certain it is over-stressed. Been dropped by previous owner too, judging by the lever. I will watch for free-play when replacing it.

Addendum: Stayed off the brakes while starting and the issue ist kaput. Helps a great deal to know how things are supposed to work. I hope the guy that sold me the bike sends the owners manual soon so I can quit learning these things the hard way.

Thanks again

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.