Markel Amercan insur co - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 2007, 6:38 am Thread Starter
Veteran

Markel Amercan insur co

Ran into a neighbor today and was talking insur...he mentioned Markel....got online and found that i could cut my cost down from $700.00 to $250.00 per year....anyone out there use them?...or heard of any bad experience?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 2007, 8:14 am
Strafist

I used them for years, even got a get out of jail free card after years of no claims (no raise in rates, penalties, etc. if you crash) and immediately went down on my LT. They paid like clockwork with no hassles and didn't total my 2000, high mileage, LT. I begged them not to and even bought stuff out of pocket and didn't sweat small things to keep that from happening.

I only switched when I bought the GT because the dealer, Lonestar, is also an insurance agent. I'll prolly go back when this policy expires.

They're also known a Bikeline.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 2007, 10:50 am
Veteran

That's who I have.

On my old RT, premium stayed around $300 and dropped a bit over the decade. Bike never went down. Lucky I guess.

Bought '06 GT and premium went up to around $650.

Then bike fall down and go boom (someone hit it in parking lot). Premium is now at $1000 year from renewal date. I went through around 2-3 independent adjustment companies (they worked closer to where the repairing dealer was) and an out of town adjuster's photographer who photographed the damage for them. Overall, the entire repair duration took around 3 months. They did cover everything though and I needed to get a revised appraisal since BMW labor rates tend to be on the high side which they underestimated. That slowed the process down a bit. Living distant from the dealer worsens the adjusting process, imo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 2007, 8:39 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Thanks guys!...did some more looking on the net....sounds like a clean co. think ill go with it....the savings is 2 tires.and an oil change
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 2007, 11:43 pm
Rookie

$700? $250? What? I pay $198 for MAX coverage with Farmers, comp included on an 04' GT. They told me that apparently people who own these bikes dont get tickets for going 100+mph and they dont get stolen. Im also 40 years old with no tickets. maybe thats the diff. This may be the cheapest bike I have ever insured...
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 2007, 8:14 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04GTRider
$700? $250? What? I pay $198 for MAX coverage with Farmers, comp included on an 04' GT. They told me that apparently people who own these bikes dont get tickets for going 100+mph and they dont get stolen. Im also 40 years old with no tickets. maybe thats the diff. This may be the cheapest bike I have ever insured...
ssshhhh....!!!!

That's 'cause Farmer's don't know how much it costs to replace BMW plastic when something like a simple tip-over occurs. If you do it, it won't stay at $198 for long!

But you're right. No one steals a BMW. The Harley guys are even upset around here that no one is stealing them anymore either. Younger thieves seem to want sport bikes now for some reason. The old thieves wanted H-Ds, but they're too old with bad backs to load them now.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 2007, 5:27 pm

I'm paying $878 annually to insure three bikes through GEICO:

'04 KRS - $465
'02 RT - $233
'92 Ducati 907 - $180

I'm 50 and have one speeding ticket on record (86 in a 65 zone) that's two years old. It will go off my record in less than a year. Deductibles are are $250 & $500.

Mygripe is that I'm paying about the same amount to insure a '99 Land Rover Discovery II and I have a <10 mile commute to the office and that's with a $1000 deductible! I've not had an insurance claim in more than a decade for either car or bike yet I'm paying out the arse for a vehicle that's eight years old. Yes, I know it's because it's a 4WD but still, this seems excessive. I've found out that I'm actually getting a great rate on my Disco but I think it should be lower.

Regards,
Randy
'02 RT nacht black
'05 Ducati ST3 black
'06 K12S bumble bee

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode