Attention all Coloradovites, or Coloradoans, or... - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 2007, 7:44 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Attention all Coloradovites, or Coloradoans, or...

Typically, what kind of weather can be expected just after mid-September if making a west-to-east crossing via either I-70 or US 50?

Trying to gauge whether a two-wheeled journey through these areas during the above time frame poses any sort of increased risk of being affected due to weather-related phenomena, such as icy roads, greater chance of an early snowfall, etc.

Black 2002 K1200RS - "The Beast" (over 100k miles)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 12:31 am
Addict

Will be a roll of the dice. Chances are it will be spectacular... dry, razor blue skies, golden aspen, snow dust above timberline. That said, I've been caught going over passes in early September with snow accompanying. Really, all you can do is check the immediate forecast and adjust if necessary, but I'd be optimistic -- most days in September are superb for two wheels.

I did this thing up high late September... http://www.farson.com/video/klunch.wmv
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 8:25 am
Addict

In addition to Steve's as always splendid advice - very rarely in September will you be caught in a storm that would eliminate all routes. There's so many beautiful roads that traverse Colorado, one will be open and very much worth the ride. Also our highway crews are awesome at getting things cleared off. The odds of being actually caught in a storm in September are fairly slim (in your best Clint Eastwood voice, "Do you feel lucky?"), and the day after the storm the roads are usually fine - just cold riding. Enjoy!

Deb and Dean Sauer
Golden, CO

The cure for boredom is riding motorcycles, and there is no cure for riding motorcycles...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 11:14 am
Sooper Dooper Moderator

I rode up from SoCal to the Denver area last year on my birthday - September 15th. I spent the night in Utah, and was hearing about "possible snow flurries" on the 16th. I went through Vail on I-70 and hit the flurries, but after Vail and close to the top of the divide I hit a blinding, full-on, white-out, heavy snow. Scared the crap out of me because there's no place to get off the highway up there. Visibility was nil and the entire front of my bike was encrusted with ice. I went through it and it cleared up as I began descending down the other side. I stopped at a little resort town for some coffee, and when I came back outside it was sleeting. It took another few miles of descent to get out of that. By the time I got to Denver it was warm enough that I had to stop and take off my heavy coat.

Soooo..... that time of year, you take your chances. Go prepared.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 1:30 pm
Addict

Mmmm....I have a meeting in Minneapolis sept 25th and was planning to ride a similar route, ie, up from phoenix to I-70 and across...I don't like riding in sleet, tooo scary!!

good info, thx..
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 3:54 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Hmmmm......I guess I'll be looking into mapping a second route, one that follows the NM border a little more closely....

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 4:14 pm
Sooper Dooper Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnadero
Hmmmm......I guess I'll be looking into mapping a second route, one that follows the NM border a little more closely....
AAANNNDDD.... so four days later I decided to take the southern route back through New Mexico. The wind was howling and almost blew me off the road, and I went through five separate thunderstorms. But HEY! It was a fun trip!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 4:44 pm
Addict

Oh boy...so I think the lesson here is...don't ride with Chuck!!

You must have really tick'ed off the weather gremlin's on that trip!!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 5:58 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldbikin
Oh boy...so I think the lesson here is...don't ride with Chuck!!

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 6:38 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckwilmot
....so four days later I decided to take the southern route back through New Mexico. The wind was howling and almost blew me off the road, and I went through five separate thunderstorms.
Out of curiosity, did you really go south, as in an ABQ>Alamogordo>Las Cruces>Deming>Lordsburg route?

I went that way in my car in '93, and overnighted in Alamogordo so that I could have a look at White Sands National Monument the next morning. When I arrived in Alamogordo in the afternoon the wind was really moving, and all sorts of dust/sand was being lifted up to the west and blown through town. I made the mistake of leaving the window cracked juuuuust a teeensy bit, and was amazed at how much of the stuff managed to get into the car's interior.

Then the next day on the way to PHX, the wind speed on I-10 in AZ between San Simon and Benson was easily what could be called gale force, enough to have a noticeable effect on the car's gas mileage.

Rain - none encountered at all in NM for some unknown reason, although at times it certainly looked like it really wanted to rain....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode