Newer aircraft - F/A22 - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 2007, 1:39 am Thread Starter
Looking for better limits...

Newer aircraft - F/A22

Fiend of mine (pilot) emailed this to me today. I like watching aircraft perform, and some of the military ones seem to be very fascinating. I realize it's primary purpose is for combat, but watching this thing in slow-speed flight was quite amazing. Video is about 5 minutes...
Quote:
Fast (super-cruise*) and stealthy, and integrated avionics are cool, but what's really impressive is the F/A-22s low speed stability and maneuverability. In the late 40s and to early 60s aeronautical engineers were going nuts on how to shape intakes to handle both subsonic and super-sonic air flows, without stagnation or compressor stalls. Supersonic in itself was a big challenge because you had to use shock waves to slow the intake air mass to sub-sonic before it hit the compressor blades, or they would stall. The engineers figured it out, but the solution was keeping a lot of air going in the front end to make sure the all hot air kept going out the back end. As you watch this Mach 2-capable airplane suspended motionless in air and do tail slides, be aware of the truly amazing performance of the engines and intakes.

Some used to think the Su-27 / Su-31 "Cobra" maneuver was the epitome of 3rd to 4th generation fighter maneuverability. That snap maneuver doesn't hold a candle to what this two-dimensional vectored-thrust fighter with fat independent horizontal stabs can do at low speed. There must be far more tricks up its sleeve in the high subsonic dogfight speed range. The last 30-40 seconds are priceless.
Quote:
http://www.f22-raptor.com/media/video_gallery/videos/F22_AirShow_Langley.wmv

Watch the elevators of the airplane in this demo. They work independently. It also has vectored thrust.

*Supercruise: The F/A-22 can sustain supersonic flight without the use of fuel-gulping afterburners.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 2007, 9:35 am
Telepathetic

What a great video! There are going to be a bunch of very happy pilots strapping on those planes.

Thanks for posting that Ray.

Darrel
'06 GT - Blue
85K on the clock
_'07 GS - Yeller
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 2007, 10:14 am

Talking

Well all I can say is staggering and it made me feel sick watching it

Over here of course we have the new Eurofighter Typhoon and we are waiting for the JSF to appear.

On a lighter note my Grandfather who is 90 now used to fly UNARMED high level recon accross europe in a twin engined DH Mosquito and remembers like yesterday tails of out running Me 109's and FW 190's in both directions.

He also says compresability was quite evident the closer he got to mach1 in a dive, and that was in a wooden aeroplane.

I saw the F22 last year at Edwards.....amazing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 2007, 8:47 pm
Enthusiast

I saw an F-22 in person for the first time at the Chicago air show two years ago. I couldn't beleive it when The pilot camealmost super-sonic across the water, hit the brakes so to speak and then became almost motionless, the nose of the plane pointed slightly skyward. That was truly an awesome sight to see. It's an awesome looking airplane unless you're on the wrong end of it's sights.

'03 K1200GT

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 2007, 2:02 am
Addict

Wow!!

Some controllable and manoeuvrable aircraft!!

Those in the know:it didn't seem all that powerful in vertical climb.I have seen F4's go vertical and disappear.I take it that the pilot just quit and got on to something else?

The camera work was very steady and focussed,but there was no telemetry on screen,ie,how fast,how high.Those maneuvers may well have taken place at 30,000 +,just couldn't tell.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 4:06 pm
I'm riding

Beautiful machine. Though I am not an expert in that field - looks like it repeats the same figures as Su. There was an air show MAKS'07 past week-end in Zhukovsky near Moscow but I preferred to ride my bike to the Nothern Russia - to Karelia. Have just returned and will post report later.
That was much more interesting for me than watching new means of destructions

Take care!

'06 K1200GT Blue (sold)
'09 F800GS Grey
'07 F800ST Blue - wife's(sold)
'09 F650GS Blue - wife's
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 9:00 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgr451
Wow!!

Some controllable and manoeuvrable aircraft!!

Those in the know:it didn't seem all that powerful in vertical climb.I have seen F4's go vertical and disappear.I take it that the pilot just quit and got on to something else?

The camera work was very steady and focussed,but there was no telemetry on screen,ie,how fast,how high.Those maneuvers may well have taken place at 30,000 +,just couldn't tell.
I'm not a pilot, but I'll speculate that climbing vertically is much more questionable when done slowly...easier to "wobble" and have to change plans quickly. F4's were designed to be fast, but pretty much just that. A-10's just the opposite, very stable at low speeds, but not so good supersonic. This one seems to be stable doing both.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 2:42 am

This is what we have here in the uk at the moment, they are feeding through slowly into RAF Squadron service.

The Eurofighter typhoon....had a conversation with pilot from RAF Conningsby who said that the Typhoon made the Tornado feel old and the Jaguar obselete!

He also said that the avionics are the best he has ever seen and is itching to go head to head with other countries fighters to kick ass. The thrust vectoring version is on a Par with the F22 and should be eyewatering fast and just as flickable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	eurofighter%2000.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	144.5 KB
ID:	5981   Click image for larger version

Name:	Martin.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	201.4 KB
ID:	5982  
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 2007, 3:12 pm
I'm riding

I was wrong - Moscow aerospace show(MAKS)'07 started on Monday and lasted the whole week and will end tomorrow. As usual there are a lot of visitors - crowds. And demo flights of various pilotage teams - Russian, French, American. Our pilots offered a demo fight of a pair of Su vs a pair of F-15 :the Americans smiled and did not answer
Insurance does not cover such activity, imho.

Take care!

'06 K1200GT Blue (sold)
'09 F800GS Grey
'07 F800ST Blue - wife's(sold)
'09 F650GS Blue - wife's
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 2007, 11:22 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyman05
I was wrong - Moscow aerospace show(MAKS)'07 started on Monday and lasted the whole week and will end tomorrow. As usual there are a lot of visitors - crowds. And demo flights of various pilotage teams - Russian, French, American. Our pilots offered a demo fight of a pair of Su vs a pair of F-15 :the Americans smiled and did not answer
Insurance does not cover such activity, imho.
Then the Americans offered a demo flight of a pair of SU vs. a pair of F117A's. The Russians said "We don't see any F117A's". Again, the Americans smiled and said nothing.

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze

Last edited by Razel; Aug 27th, 2007 at 1:25 am. Reason: Wrong aircraft type

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode