Where to stay in NYC? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 2007, 12:42 am Thread Starter
Telepathetic

Where to stay in NYC?

The wife and I are heading to a wedding at the end of Sept. We are looking to go to NYC for a few days as neither of us has been there before. Since we have no idea of where to stay in the city we are looking for some suggestions. If we can stay under $500 a night we would be happy. And if you know the city well enough to suggest a place to stay, how about a restaurant or some evening watering holes.

Darrel
'06 GT - Blue
85K on the clock
_'07 GS - Yeller
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 2007, 9:05 am
Addict-oholic

Darrel, I was born and lived in NYC for most of my life. Currently I reside in the Northern suburbs , ( Westchester county)and commute by train to work in midtown.

There are a lot of hotels that are more reasonable than $500 per night. Where is the wedding and maybe I can locate some for you.?

I am an expert in food and drink as I am in the wine & booze business owning 3 shops in Manhattan. I can also recommend night spots, watering holes as my 2 adult sons live in midtown manhattan and they know ever place in the Big Apple.

I am also known to be a bit of an Ambasador and meet for a drink ot 2.

Let me know what you want and need and I will try to help you out.

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 2007, 10:19 pm Thread Starter
Telepathetic

Larry,
Thanks for the kind offer to help. Actually the wedding is in the Philadelphia area and we been there and done that. So what we want to do is fly into JFK on a Tuesday, grab a taxi into the city, and see some sights. Then come Sat. we will find a car to rent, drive to Philly for the wedding and come back to NY on Sunday and fly out. We have no agenda for a "must see this or that"... We are looking for a good hotel, a couple of good places to eat and maybe some place to hear some live music.

Darrel
'06 GT - Blue
85K on the clock
_'07 GS - Yeller
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 2007, 12:00 am
Addict

I have always had great stays at the New York Hilton, 6th Ave and 53rd, always for way under $500 a night. It is in midtown, close to Times Square, Central Park, etc.

Lache pas la patate

Robert Odendahl
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 2007, 7:13 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowflyn
Larry,
Thanks for the kind offer to help. Actually the wedding is in the Philadelphia area and we been there and done that. So what we want to do is fly into JFK on a Tuesday, grab a taxi into the city, and see some sights. Then come Sat. we will find a car to rent, drive to Philly for the wedding and come back to NY on Sunday and fly out. We have no agenda for a "must see this or that"... We are looking for a good hotel, a couple of good places to eat and maybe some place to hear some live music.
I would consider just flying out of Philadelphia rather than drive all the way back to Manhattan. You are looking at several hours drive, plus a trip to the airport afterward.

As far as hotels, I would just check some of the on-line hotel reservation sites (Travelocity, Expedia, Hotels.com, etc) and look for deals. You, obviosly, will have numerous choices, all in good areas of Manhattan. After all, Manhattan is not all that big.

I stay in Manhattan (midtown) during the week, and can recommend several good restaurants if you are interested, but again, you have so much to choose from that it will be hard to go wrong.

(If I recall, I park my car in the same garage that Larry or one of his son's use)

Maybe we should consider a K-Bike.com group Manhattan get-together dinner!

Don Goldberg
Willner Chemists
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 2007, 11:25 pm Thread Starter
Telepathetic

Don, we have already bought our air tickets and it is in and out of JFK. We have a fair amount of time to kill on the return trip, so a drive back to the city is no big deal. After all, living out west I'm used to driving.

Still would accept suggestions on places to stay. Going on the net gives lots of places however, with no experience of the area or hotel we don't want to find a great deal only to find out it is in an area that is less than uh, where you would not want to take your sweetie. I grew up in a urban area and parts were great and some were only suitable for scoring whatever you needed.

An improv K-Bike drink is a great idea. I'm willing to buy the first round for any that can make it, (limited to an arbitrary number selected by me).

Darrel
'06 GT - Blue
85K on the clock
_'07 GS - Yeller
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 2007, 12:56 am
I'm riding

Darrel,

Please report on your impressions on hotel you choose upon return.

In case my better half agrees to visit NYC I will need the same advice.

TIA

Enjoy yor trip

Take care!

'06 K1200GT Blue (sold)
'09 F800GS Grey
'07 F800ST Blue - wife's(sold)
'09 F650GS Blue - wife's
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 2007, 8:41 am
Addict-oholic

Darrel, There are quite a few hotels in Murray Hill ( East side below 42nd st to 30th st). I can suggest
The Shelburne, The Clarion. The Murray Hill East and others. It is a fairly quiet neighborhood, with lots of eating and drinking places. I can name quite a few! It is walking distance to Times Square, which has been cleaned up. The UN is very close. You can take a fast subway or bus to Greenwich Village and Soho and even the tip onf Manhattan.
I am partial to this neighborhood as I lived there for 20 plus years and I own 2 wine & liquor stores in the vicinity.(advertisement.)
I am always ready to join a fellow biker for a drink or two.

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 2007, 12:31 pm Thread Starter
Telepathetic

Larry, thanks for those suggestions. I appreciate the first hand knowledge of the area. I will be happy to buy the first drink for any members that might be free to meet at a local watering hole.

Vladamir, I'll let you know how the trip goes.

Darrel
'06 GT - Blue
85K on the clock
_'07 GS - Yeller
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 2007, 11:56 am

Darrel,
If this is your first trip to NYC be prepared to have your first taste of real food. Ny has the best food anywhere from simple things like hotdogs and pizza to gourmet meals. I couldn't live in NY again but I do miss the people and food. (You know I don't miss ridin in NYC) Enjoy your trip.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode