lane splitting - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 2008, 5:25 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

lane splitting

Dum arsed law anyways.
Sitting at a light between cars.
Abdul driving his cab and punching in an address into his gps.
Abdul rams said car, right next to my leg, where I should have been if I was obeying the law.
I always lane split and it has saved me heaps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 2008, 6:26 pm
"DELIVERS"

Quick! Buy a lottery ticket!

'04 GT...Orient Blue...Staintune...Ohlins...Power Commander
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 2008, 5:13 am

When you guys talk about lane splitting -- are you meaning filtering between cars.
Thanks
Dave

If it's not fun - your doing it wrong !!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 2008, 7:08 am
Enthusiast

Lane splitting in North Carolina is a no-no for sure. I think the police would put you under the jail instead of in it. I always thought it should be legal at a minimum to split lanes at a stop light, but I'm sure this will never happen. On the other hand, I never thought a law would be passed allowing a left turn on a red light and that just went into effect back in December.

'03 K1200GT

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 2008, 10:34 pm
Looking for better limits...

Lane sharing is permitted in California, the only one in the 50 states you can do it. (AKA filtering, or "splitting", but splitting is considering riding in two lanes here and is illegal). Stopping on the freeway (expressway, motorway, etc...limited access multi-lane road) due to traffic, I hear screaching along with lots of white smoke showing up in my mirrors. Good day for sharing...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 2008, 3:25 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidk63
Lane splitting in North Carolina is a no-no for sure. I think the police would put you under the jail instead of in it. I always thought it should be legal at a minimum to split lanes at a stop light, but I'm sure this will never happen. On the other hand, I never thought a law would be passed allowing a left turn on a red light and that just went into effect back in December.

Left on red?...Crap...going threw the red light would be safer than that..... :wtf..That cant be right.......are you sure?......If so.....dont ride in NC.....Death awaits you..
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 2008, 9:38 pm
Enthusiast

The law states that a motorcyclist can turn left on a red light after waiting 3 minutes. It was passed (I assume) due to the number of complaints people such as me have rained down on the DOT for not making lights sensitive to bikes. There are numerous lights on the typical routes I ride that would never turn green no matter how long I sit there unless a car comes along. The rider must also ensure that there is no oncoming traffic in which he/she would be turning in front of.

Now if I can get the DOT to stop using that fine gravel to fix holes in the road I will stop talking badly about them. :banghead

'03 K1200GT

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 2008, 2:00 am
Veteran

Quote:
The law states that a motorcyclist can turn left on a red light after waiting 3 minutes. It was passed (I assume) due to the number of complaints people such as me have rained down on the DOT for not making lights sensitive to bikes. There are numerous lights on the typical routes I ride that would never turn green no matter how long I sit there unless a car comes along. The rider must also ensure that there is no oncoming traffic in which he/she would be turning in front of.

Now if I can get the DOT to stop using that fine gravel to fix holes in the road I will stop talking badly about them. :banghead
...ok.....i see.....thought you were talking all vehicals.....as a turn left on red law....like the turn right on red law....like the law says....before you turn there must not be any cars comming....thats a good idea...thank god they put that in the writings....
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 2008, 12:30 am

Quote:

I'm not sure about the actual laws in CO, but in my small town, cops tend to turn a blind eye to a motorcyclist running a red light if it is obvious there is no traffic and the motorcyclist had come to a complete stop before running the light. I have done it numerous times within sight of a cop and have yet to be pulled over.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 2008, 2:26 am
Would rather be riding

Sharing vs Splitting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razel
Lane sharing is permitted in California, the only one in the 50 states you can do it. (AKA filtering, or "splitting", but splitting is considering riding in two lanes here and is illegal). Stopping on the freeway (expressway, motorway, etc...limited access multi-lane road) due to traffic, I hear screaching along with lots of white smoke showing up in my mirrors. Good day for sharing...
I know that's the law, but I think everyone in CA splits lanes too (riding on the lines/dots.) I see motorcycle cops do it all the time as well, mainly on city streets. I do it routinely, even next to police cars, no one's ever looked at me twice.

Lane sharing is legal in the US only in California, BTW. I found this out the hard way, after a pissed off cager tried to run me off the road in New Mexico.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode