Another biker taken out by left turning vehicle - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2008, 1:49 pm Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 51
Another biker taken out by left turning vehicle

Biker dies in Pleasants Valley collision
By Kimberly K. Fu
Article Launched: 06/30/2008 07:05:29 AM PDT


A Sacramento man was killed Sunday afternoon when his motorcycle collided with a pickup truck in rural Vacaville.
Brian Peak, described by friends as 27 or 28, suffered major injuries and was transported by ground ambulance to VacaValley Hospital. He later died.

Events unfolded shortly after 1:30 p.m. as Peak and a few friends rode south in the 7100 block of Pleasants Valley Road.

According to the California Highway Patrol, Peak came around a curve in the road at an unknown speed on his Suzuki motorcycle when he encountered a northbound, dark blue Ford pickup making a turn into a private roadway.

Officials said the truck paused, and as it made its turn, the Suzuki came around the Ford and struck it's left-front side.

The bike and its rider fell; Peak was ejected onto the southbound shoulder and the bike skidded about 100 feet from the point of impact. Along the way, a concrete and metal post that had held a mailbox was broken.

Emergency crews rushed to the scene, arriving moments after the accident occurred. His condition was touch and go, officials said, and he was rushed to the nearest hospital.

It is unclear whether Peak was wearing a helmet at the time of the crash. His headgear was found, with damage to the helmet's top, a few feet from where the motorcyclist landed.

Traffic was snarled for nearly an hour in both directions as crews tended to Peak and investigated the scene.

The matter remains under investigation.

In reading this article it clearly states that the motorcycle was "southbound" and the truck was going "northbound" my question to anyone who knows about these things is this "how can the bike have possibly struck the LEFT front fender if they were going in opposite directions? BTW.. this was my sons' friend so please be kind in your responses.
Larry5469 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2008, 5:10 pm
Would rather be riding
 
bonafidebob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Mountain View, CA, USA
Posts: 537
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry5469
In reading this article it clearly states that the motorcycle was "southbound" and the truck was going "northbound" my question to anyone who knows about these things is this "how can the bike have possibly struck the LEFT front fender if they were going in opposite directions?
That sucks. Any idea about the helmet?

Re: LEFT front fender, if you read that as the left side of the front of the truck it works -- I imagine the truck was just starting its turn or maybe crossed the center still going mostly forward and maybe the bike was on the left side of his lane, so it was more of a head-on collision that a side-on hit.
bonafidebob is offline  
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2008, 7:06 pm Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 51
Re; Helmet

His friend Ray told my son that he was wearing it at the time of the accident.. it was torn from his head. And it was a full face one... I have seen him with it before. He was not the most careful rider I have ever met.. but he was doing nothing wrong at the time of this accident. Just another case of "gee, I didn't see him" I would guess.. even though he was with a group of riders.
Larry5469 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 2008, 3:34 pm
Veteran
 
Papilio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Posts: 1,163
bad news

You just cannot pick them all. Riding along at 100k, open road. Girl in a car coming towards me. She suddenly spots a friend she has not seen for years. Of course in that situation you just swing the wheel right (left if you are not in one of the 61 countries that drive on this side of the road) I just had time to avoid her. Went across to speak to the two of them, now hugging and kissing.

"Hi. How is it going?"

"Oh just great thanks. Wonderful!! Do I know you?"

"Nope, but I thought we should get acquanted seeing as you just almost killed me>"

"I really dont know what you are talking about!!"

I ride with the view that everything is out to get me. Sometimes I am right.
Papilio is offline  
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 2008, 4:00 pm
Member
 
OldGeezer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Glenwood, N B, Canada
Posts: 89
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papilio

"Nope, but I thought we should get acquanted seeing as you just almost killed me>"

"I really dont know what you are talking about!!"

I ride with the view that everything is out to get me. Sometimes I am right.
Oh you are right .... my friend had a similar encounter to yours, the lass told him to F-off before she called the cops.....we Effed Off.......
I often wonder if shes managed to kill a fellow rider yet........

Regards; Dave
1987 K-100 RS
One life, live it........!
OldGeezer is offline  
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 2008, 5:27 pm
Would rather be riding
 
bonafidebob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Mountain View, CA, USA
Posts: 537
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGeezer
Oh you are right .... my friend had a similar encounter to yours, the lass told him to F-off before she called the cops.....we Effed Off.......
I often wonder if shes managed to kill a fellow rider yet........
You should have said go ahead, or no, wait, let me call them for you. "Hello, police, I'd like to report a reckless driver... yeah, she's right here, would you like to speak to her?"

...if there's a ticket to be issued there it's going to be hers. The cops would be on your side. They ride bikes too.

Last edited by bonafidebob; Jul 7th, 2008 at 8:18 pm.
bonafidebob is offline  
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 2008, 7:42 pm
Veteran
 
BAK04GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Meredith, NH, USA
Posts: 1,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry5469
Biker dies in Pleasants Valley collision
By Kimberly K. Fu
Article Launched: 06/30/2008 07:05:29 AM PDT


A Sacramento man was killed Sunday afternoon when his motorcycle collided with a pickup truck in rural Vacaville.
Brian Peak, described by friends as 27 or 28, suffered major injuries and was transported by ground ambulance to VacaValley Hospital. He later died.

Events unfolded shortly after 1:30 p.m. as Peak and a few friends rode south in the 7100 block of Pleasants Valley Road.

According to the California Highway Patrol, Peak came around a curve in the road at an unknown speed on his Suzuki motorcycle when he encountered a northbound, dark blue Ford pickup making a turn into a private roadway.

Officials said the truck paused, and as it made its turn, the Suzuki came around the Ford and struck it's left-front side.

The bike and its rider fell; Peak was ejected onto the southbound shoulder and the bike skidded about 100 feet from the point of impact. Along the way, a concrete and metal post that had held a mailbox was broken.

Emergency crews rushed to the scene, arriving moments after the accident occurred. His condition was touch and go, officials said, and he was rushed to the nearest hospital.

It is unclear whether Peak was wearing a helmet at the time of the crash. His headgear was found, with damage to the helmet's top, a few feet from where the motorcyclist landed.

Traffic was snarled for nearly an hour in both directions as crews tended to Peak and investigated the scene.

The matter remains under investigation.

In reading this article it clearly states that the motorcycle was "southbound" and the truck was going "northbound" my question to anyone who knows about these things is this "how can the bike have possibly struck the LEFT front fender if they were going in opposite directions? BTW.. this was my sons' friend so please be kind in your responses.
just had 2 up here in the lakes region this weekend....one hit a granite mailbox post...massive head trauma...dead.....another went over yellow line hit pick up ...dead .....
BAK04GT is offline  
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 2008, 8:03 pm Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 51
Re:Another biker taken out by left turning vehicle

How sad that the biking community is suffering so many lost lives.. needlessly in most cases. I have often wondered how differently folks would drive if they had to spend a year on a motorcycle before being allowed to drive a 2 ton machine. And before anyone decides to flame me.. I know that there are some people that would be unable to ride due to circumstances beyond their control.. but the majority would certainly get a new respect for the hazards associated with being inattentive in their automobiles. JMHO
Larry5469 is offline  
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 2008, 8:29 pm
Would rather be riding
 
bonafidebob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Mountain View, CA, USA
Posts: 537
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry5469
How sad that the biking community is suffering so many lost lives.
Agree its sad. But please keep in mind that the vast majority of motorcycle related deaths are the fault of the rider. In 2 of the items mentioned above (hit a post, crossed double yellow and hit a pickup) the rider was clearly at fault. And in the first article speed could have been a contributing factor.

Put yourself in the pickup driver's place -- you've got to make a left turn across oncoming traffic and there's a curve ahead. Are you going to just close your eyes and turn? Of course not, because it might be a car or truck coming around the corner in which case you'll get mashed. So the driver probably looked ahead as far as possible before making the turn.

Sure, many drivers "just don't see" motorcycles. I've been hit by one of them myself. That happens, and it sucks. But sometimes motorcycles are going a lot faster than is reasonable and prudent. It might be that this rider was going too fast to see the truck in time to avoid it.

Want to die on a bike? Here's how the majority of riders do it: 1) don't bother to get a motorcycle license, 2) don't wear a helmet, 3) ride drunk, 4) ride beyond your capability.

Want to save a biker's life? Make sure they don't do 1, 2, 3, and 4.
bonafidebob is offline  
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 2008, 10:05 pm Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 51
And in the first article speed could have been a contributing factor.

Except for the group of riders he was with said they were going 40 to 50 mph in a 55 zone.. and 1 bike had just barely made it past the truck when it turned in front of the 2nd bike.
Larry5469 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Left handlebar switch removal and heated grip plug keszr1 K1200RS/GT (Classic) 2 Jul 17th, 2008 11:16 pm
Sore left palm....don't go there...lol dbarnes180 K1200RS/GT (Classic) 15 May 21st, 2008 5:08 pm
Biker Club Qualifications Friday Humor 1 May 20th, 2008 10:08 pm
Left side air filter install using BMW S parts Coastie K12/1300R/R-Sport 19 May 16th, 2007 10:04 am
low speed pulling left CaptKirk K1200RS/GT (Classic) 3 Nov 27th, 2005 5:00 am

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome