No gloves? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2008, 5:27 pm Thread Starter
Would rather be riding

No gloves?

I've been out riding through Northern CA and Southern OR and I was surprised to notice a large number (more than half) of other riders out with no gloves on. I think of gloves as the 2nd most essential piece of gear, after a helmet. Jacket and boots are 3rd and 4th for me. That is, even on the hottest day taking the shortest ride, I'd put my gloves on. (But I strive for ATGATT)

This isn't too surprising for the shorts and flip-flops set, but I actually didn't see too many of those. Most of the gloveless riders had otherwise decent gear, often including a motorcycle jacket and boots. Even saw a dual sport rider with purpose riding boots, but no gloves.

I figure in any fall (even stupid parking lot ones) you're going to get your hands involved, and without gloves you're going to lose a bunch of skin that you'll probably want back later.

Am I nuts here? Gloves or no gloves?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2008, 6:25 pm
Enthusiast

I would never ride without my gloves ( or the other gear for that matter). I see riders every day without gloves. Some have a jacket on and some don't. This time of year most don't actually. I figure they have no idea how painful it would be to have gravel picked out of their flesh and possible skin grafts done if they crashed.

'03 K1200GT

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2008, 10:26 pm

I once totalled a bike in the twisties (Patterson pass road for those NorCal riders who are familiar). My bad... Anyway, I must have instictively put a hand out as I went down, palm first into the gravel. Big blood blisters from the stones and a sprained wrist but the leather held up. I don't even want to imagine the outcome without gloves...

BTW: My stich has (to this day) one small scrubbed spot in the ballistic under one forearm. My helmet scraped through the gravel right down the middle, from forehead back across the top. My left leather boot was destroyed; pulled apart at the seams but was still on my foot. I walked away. Okay, truthfully, I sort of limped away... ATGATT, baby.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 2008, 8:09 am
Enthusiast

You have to imagine that your first instinct is to use your hands to help you survive/manage a get-off... I can't imagine riding w/o gloves. I've bought many a pair looking for a comfortable set that makes riding just that much more carefree...

Gary
2007 K1200GT
Dark Graphite Grey
New Jersey-Don't Laugh!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 2008, 12:27 pm
Enthusiast

I am always amazed also at the no glove riders. I wear a pair of light weight leather summer gloves even into the 90 degree weather with no problems. I also cringe when I see bare ankles riding around town. I won't leave on the bike without a solid boot above my ankle
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 2008, 4:34 pm

Arrow Oh Boy !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilynator
I am always amazed also at the no glove riders. I wear a pair of light weight leather summer gloves even into the 90 degree weather with no problems. I also cringe when I see bare ankles riding around town. I won't leave on the bike without a solid boot above my ankle
I'm with you guys, gloves are essential as are decent boots....I went down hard 7 years ago (lack of concentration in a corner)
I had Kevlar gloves and they were in pieces, the leathers and full face looked after the other stuff....

The bike was so so but i couldn't walk (turned out to be a busted ankle) My riding partner (who almost ran me over as i slid down the asphalt)......rode me two up to the hospital, as i was sitting there in a wheelchair, the Nurse said "first we cut that boot off"

My buddy said "Dave they are going to ruin your German riding boots"

Oh no they are not, i said to Bill, OK, "he says hang on to the wheelchair arms"
He pulled the boot off my swollen foot, i can still feel it today.....but i saved a $400.00 pair of boots

The nurse was furious.......ha! ha!

Regards; Dave
1987 K-100 RS
One life, live it........!
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 2008, 12:12 am
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeltown
You have to imagine that your first instinct is to use your hands to help you survive/manage a get-off... I can't imagine riding w/o gloves. I've bought many a pair looking for a comfortable set that makes riding just that much more carefree...
If after a few weeks I like the gloves I bought I go back and get a second pair.

Sled
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 2008, 12:48 am

Don't ride without gloves anymore. Ever see a degloved hand before? Not pretty.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 2008, 12:17 pm
Addict

My priorities on what gear I wear, in order:

#1 = armored jacket

#1 = daytona or spidi boots, armored

#1 = BMW summer gloves or my F104 (?) helimot summer gloves, the coolest solution to the heat I've every found with lots of protection including guantlet (204 bucks, yikes!)

#1 = helmet, corsair, aria flip shield or shoei multitec (does most of the duty these days)

#2 = my 7 yr old aerostich darien pants, still wear jeans around town/short trips.

Even for short trips or moving the bike (within reason) I wear gloves, I need my hands just the way they are
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 2008, 1:43 pm
Enthusiast

Ya full gear here as well - I bitched at the $$, but good gear is $$ but it does it job WELL when you need to proform.
I stay away from fly by night labels companies and gear. Only quaility gear.

'91 K75S
'06 K1200S
BMWMOA # 119240
Yankee Beemer # 153
NRA # 154764753

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode