drowned electronics.... - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 2008, 4:21 pm Thread Starter

drowned electronics....

The other night I was a bit tipsy...ok more than tipsy, I was pretty drunk. anyhow, I dove into my friends pool with my brand new ipod touch in my pocket. My buddies wife realized what I had done before I did and told me...I looked to the bottom of the pool and right there in the deep end a little black spec....yep...my $450 one month old ipod. needless to say I was pretty pissed of at myself for being so stupid. I retrieved it the whole time thinking about when I was going to have time to get to the store to get another one as I like it very much. The friend I went with told me not to worry he would take care of it...pretty much I was thinking "yea, right buddy, whatever". It had sat in at least 10 feet of water for approximately 3 or 4 minutes, perhaps longer...my sense of time was a bit distorted....more than enough time to damage it beyond repair. Christ, I'd think if I had dropped it in a toilet similar results would be had. anyhow, when we got home my friend set my oven to 250 degrees, when it reached temp he put my ipod in closed it and turned the oven off...I didn't touch it until the morning. Whelp guess what. to my surprise it worked! The screen had some water marks underneath that wouldn't wipe away but functionally it worked perfect. I asked him how he knew this and he said he had dove into water on at least three separate occasions with a cell phone in his pocket and had had to do this a few times himself...he had also learned this trick from a friend. So far the water marks I mentioned have slowly gone away... I think from leaving it in my baking car during the summer heat. anyway...don't try and turn it on until after the oven treatment. also I had thought about it more after and I have a dehydrator...next time, which I'm sure there will be...I will try the dehydrator for maybe 8 to 10 hours. hope this saves someone some cash if you have an incident...or at least maybe someone you know.

"flying through hyper-space ain't like dustin' crops boy"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 2008, 6:29 pm

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by drizzyboy
hope this saves someone some cash if you have an incident...or at least maybe someone you know.
Ditch it and claim on your credit card insurance (assuming you have that feature)

I went thru this last summer with a cell phone that got drowned (yes i was pissed as well)

Anyway i bought a new phone and started the claim process, they threw every road block in front of me but i persevered and was eventually compensated

Oni Bastardus Carberundem don't let them grind you down.....

Regards; Dave
1987 K-100 RS
One life, live it........!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode