Helmet check - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 2009, 3:54 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Helmet check

There I was, minding my own business, toodling down I35 south of Austin when all of sudden I see a big black truck with flashing red lights behind me. So, I scoot over 1 lane thinking this guy is after someone. And then HE scoots over behind me. WTF??? I ain't speeding. So I pull over to the shoulder and he proceeds to tell me that due to the increase in motorcycle fatalities, the DPS here in the Republic Tejas is pulling over motorcyclist to check to make sure their helmet is DOT approved, plus a license check. Fine with me. I'm legal. I hand him my helmet and he says he promises not to drop it while he CLOSELY inspects the interior of the thing. As he's handing it back to me he apologizes for having to pull me over, but says he's just doing his job. He pulls out his little Joe Friday notepad and jots down my name and license number. He then tells me that motorcyclists can be pulled over for any reason. Hmmm. Really.

So, anyway, if you're out on the highways and byways of Texas, be aware they are pulling people over and checking helmets and licenses.

Doug Turner
'86 Concours
'99 K1200LT - gone
'06 K1200GT - the new kid in town
'08 Wing - gone
Marshall, TX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 2009, 4:47 pm
Veteran

That is so lame.. pull over motorcycles for any reason.. pleeze.. looking to generate revenue in these hard times is what it is.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 2009, 6:52 pm
Looking for better limits...

Interesting...as far as I knew, Texas was not a mandatory helmet state. Plus, from what I've understood (so, lots of room for "correction"), it's illegal to sell a non-DOT helmet for use, not to ride with one that's not DOT approved. Kind of like that tag on furniture, that says it's illegal to removed this tag (except by final consumer). Selling it is illegal.

As for revenue, I don't think it's about collecting revenue. One city in California (Lincoln) has reduced the police force, mostly by eliminating most of the traffic division officers. If it was about revenue, they'd be adding to traffic, not eliminating that source of income.
Also, city cops would be patrolling the freeways during commute to nab all the non-carpool folks in the carpool lanes. $261 each...easy pickin's

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Sze
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 2009, 8:53 pm Thread Starter
Addict

The helmet law in Texas states that if you don't wear a helmet you must carry a $10K insurance policy or have attended an MSF course.

There are non DOT helmets out there for sale. Take a stroll down any vendor area at a Harley Rally.

Doug Turner
'86 Concours
'99 K1200LT - gone
'06 K1200GT - the new kid in town
'08 Wing - gone
Marshall, TX

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode