Dynamic wheel balancer - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 2009, 6:53 am Thread Starter
Addict

Dynamic wheel balancer

I know some guys swear by Dyna Beads, but check this out: http://www.centramatic.com/Page.aspx?page=Demo

Interesting how they have a set specifically for a Wing, and that's ONLY bike they have listed.

I found this on a Jeep forum and they seem to really like them on their Jeeps.

Doug Turner
'86 Concours
'99 K1200LT - gone
'06 K1200GT - the new kid in town
'08 Wing - gone
Marshall, TX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 2009, 8:07 am
Veteran

Snake oil revisited?

Notice in the video the little silver nut under the wheel of the jig's framework.

With nothing on it and spinning in the first segment it doesn't move that much at all even though he says "It's slightly out of balance." Huh?

Then watch its movement during the rest of the video tests. It moves! Sometimes a lot! Even when he says "It's perfectly balanced." the little nut is bouncing.

Notice too he doesn't repeat the "No magnet" strobe segment as the balls would probably settle in a different spot. But hey, "It's perfectly balanced." There is also a mysterious cut in the segment where it spins up after he takes the magnet off. Notice the violent shake on initial spin-up, but "It's perfectly balanced."

I have some balancing liquid and tire plugging gunk in my tires now. The stuff was promoted on one of Jay Leno's Garage segments. Rather than concentrate on the balancing ability, they focused on the ability to seal against nails and they even drilled a hole in the tire and it didn't loose any air. Then they drove the SUV over the spike strip (nail strip) and it still held air. I thought "Amazing!" since I just had a flat. Better, they even had some for the motorcycle. So I bought $140 worth of the stuff. Motorcycle stuff was twice the price as it's some different consistency.

Sacrificed the Goodyear Comfort Tread tires on the car first. Not happy.

It was really bad in the first 40 miles and you couldn't go over 35 mph without the car hopping like a Roo on speed. The company said it would smooth out around 80 miles or so as it coated the tire and then it would be perfectly balanced. It did smooth out a bit. However, after 20,000 miles, I hate to say it ain't that much better. Some days it's better balanced than others driving on the same roads and freeways to work. Guess it depends on where the liquid settles. No flats though, even though I may have a bunch of nails and screws in the tire. Air leaks are minimized. Still, the ride isn't as smooth as before the stuff was added and riding in a similar car proves it. The rental I had for about two weeks was smooth as glass while the BMW was doing one of it's "I'm a shop whore" escapades 400 miles from home.

Years ago when I was into Harleys I installed one of those Balance Masters on the clutch pack. I believe it had mercury in it back then. Same affect. Not much difference and some days it still hammered (rigid mount). The claim was it would make "The paint shaker smooth as glass." Yeah. Right.

Dyna Beads? If the tire is irregular in shape due to a mold lip or something like a pocket, where are the beads going to settle? What if you have more Dyna Beads than the tire really needs?

Back to the old lead external stick-on weights here. I recycle mine since the CA EPA decided to ban them in favor of zinc. New foam double-stick tape and a little aluminum paint and they're good as new.

Billy the Pitchman revisited.

Mack

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode