how do they get them - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 2009, 4:33 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

how do they get them

Now our former Prime Minister (Australia) said he did not like guns, so he banned them. Well that is fine, but how many crims bother reading the paper or applying for licences anyway. I do not like Harley Davidson bikes, and a hell of a lot of riders I notice,kill themselves. But to each his own. The way my city is at the moment I would certainly prefer to have my 9mm back. Murder is seen as the cheap alternative to divorce here, and the courts have a revolving door system going flat out. Police are abused and simply told to )()(*& off. One judge in Sydney said recently "well police should expect to be spoken to like that" Interesting to note that if you check the names of the arrests, (if you can call it an arrest) there are no "Harris's "Smith's" or "Davidson's" If you kill someone here you can expect to receive perhaps 8 years. But as you said "sorry" expressed remorse and have excellent prospects for rehabilitation, you may be released on parole before the grieving family have prepared dinner. Here is an article from this mornings paper...........

THE number of guns on Melbourne streets has alarmed senior police who fear innocent bystanders could be shot dead.

Taskforce Santiago head Det Insp Steve Dennis said young would-be gangsters were arming themselves like never before.

"We're absolutely concerned with the number of handguns. They don't understand the consequences," Det Insp Dennis said.

"Firearms are just so prevalent at the moment. People just seem to be arming themselves and they don't hesitate to use firearms.

"They're indiscriminate with the way they use them. The potential for someone to be hit by a ricochet is quite high."

Taskforce Santiago has confiscated dozens of pistols as it investigates criminal networks operating mostly in the northern and western suburbs.

Investigators have made arrests in 18 of the 19 non-fatal shootings since the taskforce was established last October.

The latest incidents to come under scrutiny from Taskforce Santiago include:

TWO people arrested over the weekend for a kidnapping in which a woman was held at gunpoint for five hours.

A VOLLEY of shots fired at a man in Newport last week.

SHOTS fired into a car containing two men at a McDonald's restaurant in Altona North last month.

MORE shots fired in public in Broadmeadows last month.

A LOADED pistol found at a Roxburgh Park house during a drug search.

Most of those carrying weapons were men aged between 18 and 30.

Det Insp Dennis said incidents such as that at Altona North could easily have ended in tragedy for combatants or innocent bystanders.

Taskforce Santiago was set up after months of bloodshed.

Many wounded victims were dumped by their attackers at the Northern Hospital.

Much of the taskforce's work originally revolved around one northern suburbs family and their associates, but Det Insp Dennis said this had spread to cover a range of loose criminal networks operating in the northern and western suburbs.

"The focus now is on organised crime," he said.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 2009, 6:17 am
Sooper Dooper Moderator

It's a horrible thing to read about, and I fear my own country is going down that path as well. I hope I'm wrong.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 2009, 6:38 am
Veteran

Most of those carrying weapons were men aged between 18 and 30.."and not licensed"...did they forget that part?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 2009, 1:40 am
Addict

Thumbs up

pap,as you know,you reap what you sow.Better emigrate to Canada,we are not a free gun zone like our American friends,but we have not done confiscation either.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 2009, 4:54 pm
Addict

I'm an Australian in the military, so carry 2 high power weapons as tools of the trade, and live on a farm. My wife just strapped on her Glock and went off to work an hour ago (Police Officer).
We are both happy with the confiscation issue, as are the vast majority of Aussies.
If there's no need for the weapon, remove it. Australians in general do not live in fear of domestic violence requiring access to a personal firearm, and we have never lived in fear of invasion by a foreign country requiring weapons at home.
Sporting shooters and hunters still can own their own weapons, Farmers and the like obviously require a weapon (s) for domestic stock concerns.
Can't believe I'm buying into a firearms thread, as I know better!

Ken

Nth Queensland
AUSTRALIA

2005 K1200S
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 2009, 7:07 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

[QUOTE=baytown] we have never lived in fear of invasion by a foreign country requiring weapons at home.

Dunno about that Ken. Bloody great fort at Queenscliff which as I recall was stuck there to repel hostile powers were, at various times, identified as the French, the Russians and, at one stage during the American Civil War, the United States. A 14 year old boy was imprisoned for failing to attend rifle practice. I agree entirely with your views otherwise, problem is at night I can hear shots fired near my home in this city. On my morning walks I have seen empty shells laying about. Seems the baddies have guns and the police patrols are hardly ever seen, only reactive policing it seems. Looks like we may have to start thinking outside the box. Coincidently I recall one RAAF officer being denied a pistol permit, required so he could take pot shots are rabbits on the base. He took the matter to court and explained he often flew over the city with enough ordnance to take out most of a city block. Got his permit. I doubt the solution is in more pistol permits. Just putting the cops out on the street with the backing of the judiciary, which they do not have at the mo.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 2009, 7:43 pm
Addict

Getting in deeper!!!

G'day Pap.
Yep, very aware of the Coastal fortifications and OPs along the Aussie coast, including the Southern States built in the 1800s to the 1940s to repel any Russian, Chinese Japanese etc invasion (which never occurred).
My comments relate to the lack of a formal Australian Constitutional requirement to maintain a civil Militia (SELF ARMED) should Oz ever had been invaded. I'm not aware of this requirement (but happy for someone to correct my Aussie history knowledge).
As we didn't have this need, there is historically no requirement for Mr Smith in Urban Sydney to own a Martini-Henry rifle (unless a registered sporting or Hunting Shooter), much less carry a concealed weapon. No matter what idiots make the evening news, I don't for a second believe that Australia is that violent a place, and it's certainly not my experience. If you want to find trouble, its easy to do, but it's just as easy to live with no fear for the vast majority of the population. That being said, there's always the exceptional Oxygen Thieve out there plotting away.
I'm really choosing my words here Pap, as from previous experience of the net over 15 years, you don't talk Politics, Religion, and Gun Laws (especially the latter!) for risk of some very aggressive replies.
Re Judges, your right, they are on another planet, and so very out of step in general with the community expectations.
I'm off back down the creek to work on my non functioning irrigation line. Now there's a piece of equipment I would quite happy empty a mag into!

Best wishes all.

Ken.

Nth Queensland
AUSTRALIA

2005 K1200S

Last edited by baytown; Sep 11th, 2009 at 9:05 pm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode