Is Chivalry dead? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 2009, 10:02 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Question Is Chivalry dead?

Just got back from going into the local diner (McDonald's). I held the door open for the woman (probably 50ish+ yrs. old) following me. Boy! Did I get an @ss chewing!

She responded with, "What makes you think I'm so old and feeble that I cannot open a door for myself?" There were a few more words directed at me as she passed.

As I was ordering (away from "that" woman), I watched as other people came an went through the door. All women would let the door go if a man was following. I didn't see many men or teen boys holding the door open for women either. Times change?

Just wondering if I'm too old and something has changed in the interim. My ex would chew me out if I didn't hold the door open for her - or sometime later I would hear about it. I think they save it as *points* to use at convenient times. Can't win.

Mack

Last edited by Razel; Sep 19th, 2009 at 12:11 pm. Reason: Fixed tags
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 2009, 11:03 pm
Enthusiast

she must of been having a bad day. Maybe her aarp card came in the mail. I hold the door
for everyone usually and never gotten grief over it. But times change, what annoys me no
end is people on cells oblivious to everyone around them.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 2009, 11:43 pm
Rookie

Yes!

Feminists killed it!!!

TVtommy
09 R12GSA
09 HD Ultra Classic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 2009, 5:48 am
Addict

You did the right think she was just an ass. You should have slamed the door closed when she balked

MOA Member #106320
2003 R1150RT Titan Silver
2008 K1200GT Dark Graphite
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 2009, 7:26 am
Addict

If chivalry is not dead, it's sure as hell resting peacefully. You did the right thing. She must've been one of those women's rights types or just po'd because she's getting old. Most, if not all, people I hold the door for are appreciative and say "thanks".

Doug Turner
'86 Concours
'99 K1200LT - gone
'06 K1200GT - the new kid in town
'08 Wing - gone
Marshall, TX
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 2009, 11:32 am
Addict

fukem. I always make this comment to people like that (and I've run into this plenty myself)...

...If I don't hold this door, my dad is going to rise from the grave, come over here and kick my ass, so get a life and be thankful.

I never hear any bullshit from guys when I hold the door for them.

My parents were very strict about manners growing up. I sometimes wonder what the hell I did with some of them but some things (like opening doors for people when they are right there) is automatic.

And I'm a senior citizen myself by the way, you can hold the door open for me anytime
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 2009, 4:41 pm
Addict

I'm amazed at where the world is going now, especially with kids re all this. (Not all by any means though).
I remember once holding a door open for a woman (my age) who accused me of wanting to look at her arse.
Currently, I'm unfortunately working with a group of female civilian social workers as the sole Military member, and male. I had one woman deride me for use of the term 'Ladies' and another give me a hard time for using the term 'Women'. Seriously, bloody amazing. The one who hates the term ladies made a scene in public 2 days ago during a discussion on why we don't have females in our Special Forces. She won't be given the opportunity to do that again.
You just have to be yourself, and if they don't like what is reasonable or courteous behavior to you, that's their issue!
Best wishes all.

Ken

Nth Queensland
AUSTRALIA

2005 K1200S

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode