LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 2009, 9:02 am
Veteran

probing for land mines count
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 2009, 3:22 pm
Addict

Not in my world. Kinda normal (was showing my 15 year old nephew an airconditioned Bomb Disposal suit at the base yesterday as a matter of fact!)

Where were you doing the clearance job?

Ken.

Nth Queensland
AUSTRALIA

2005 K1200S
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 2009, 9:14 pm

My odd jobs

The summer before my senior year of high school in '73, I got a job doing drywall finish work. Things got slow and I was told I could stock sheetrock for $2.50 an hour. Cool, I thought because I needed money to fund the fun I had planned for my last year in school.

I spent all of 2 1/2 days carrying 4x10x1/2" doubles of sheetrock into a three story apartment complex. By the third day it felt as though my knuckles were dragging on the ground. There was one little guy in the crew who could carry TWO of these doubles at a time. I think he was getting paid at a piece work rate and since he was living out of a van with his dog I guess he really needed the money. I did too but not that bad.

Odd job number 2. Fast forward to 1978 after I'd gotten married and bought my first home and came to the sudden realization that it takes a lot of money to outfit a house. A family friend suggested I take a part time job at the funeral home where she worked as a book keeper. The job involved spending every Friday and Saturday nights taking death calls from the Coroner's office then dispatching the mortician on call.

Every once in a while I'd go down to the basement and watch them do their thing. I saw lots of stuff I wish I hadn't and also heard some of the best jokes ever. Morticians are an odd lot and I suspect some of them could be pretty good stand up comedians.

One night I took a call for a dry floater only to have the mortician call me for help. I drove to the house and was hit by a smell as I entered the house. Anyone who's ever smelled a rotting human corpse knows what I'm talking about. If I thought the smell was bad the sight of the body was far worse. It was an old man who died of a sudden heart attack and came to rest on the floor with his head directly over a furnace vent. I'll leave the description at that.

While working there I managed to buy a new '79 Yamaha XS750 Special triple and began adding goodies. I'd ride it to the funeral home on the weekends and after everyone left I'd wheel it into the room where I took calls and slept. I got lots of work done on it, cleaned it, did oil changes, etc., and then I'd wheel it to back entry door where it would be safe inside. The morticians, witty bastards that they are, would leave their business cards tucked between my bike's seat and tank so they could earn a commission if, you know, something happened to me.

Assholes.

Regards,
Randy
'02 RT nacht black
'05 Ducati ST3 black
'06 K12S bumble bee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 2016, 5:32 am
Noob

Football (soccer coach). P.S. I did make it to my university team but at the time I had just graduated from school and didn't even make the high school http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...?section=india :P
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 2016, 9:32 pm

After buying my very first home and realizing that it's one thing to save for a down payment on a home and it's another thing to then have to outfit it (furniture, drapes, landscaping, etc.), I got a part time job working at a funeral home. At first all I did was got there after my primary job and meet visitors seeking to view the bodies of their friends and loved ones. The job then included me sleeping in an office on Friday and Saturday nights to take death calls.

I have lots of stories to tell but it would take a while and most of them aren't what I would call good reading. On a more humorous note, I will say that morticians have a most unique sense of humor. You see, I used to ride my '79 Yamaha XS750 to the funeral home on weekend nights and would walk it into the facility for safe storage at night.

I could count on at least one of the morticians to leave their business card on the bike's seat. When questioned about this practice they'd say that all they wanted to do was to make sure the coroner knew where to take my body.......

Anyway, during my 1 1/2 year tenure there I went out on a few pick up calls to assist the mortician on duty but that's fodder for another thread.

Regards,
Randy
'02 RT nacht black
'05 Ducati ST3 black
'06 K12S bumble bee

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode