Anyone know of a good dog repellant? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 2009, 3:37 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Anyone know of a good dog repellant?

<"Rant warning on!">

Okay, I had a major yard cleanup last week to the tune of $500 (mostly tree trimming), and now it seems every dog in the neighborhood is using my front lawn as it's personal toilet.

I bought some of those granules at Lowe's ("Shot-Gun's" "Repels-All", since 1928 so what's changed in their chemistry lately?) that are *supposed* to repel deer and most other animals but they don't seem to work at all. I scattered some new granules (third time) around the latest mess and shoveled off all the old mess. I mistakenly thought I was good to go.

So here comes some fat woman walking her little fat Chihuahua/Poodle mutt mix and decided he didn't care and went anyway right on top of the stuff! I was still trying to get into my Santiago pants to go riding and couldn't run outside partially dressed, so I banged on the window and yelled at her. She heard me and scampered off really quick for a fat lady with the little fat dog of her's on a leash in tow.

Having been told by a gardener he "Cannot mow my lawn as I got too much dog crap on it and his mower's stink if he does," I had enough. I decided to jump into the car once dressed and was about to chase her down with a shovel and bag and have her come back and clean up her little dog's mess, but my neighbor intervened once in the car and didn't realize someone had yelled at her and told her (that be "Me") and he said he thinks she won't be back. He sits all day (retired) in his porch area and can fend off animal poops to my yard. So I got the shovel out again.

More worthless "Shot-Gun Repels-All" granules spread now and watered and more spread on top too. But now I got cat spray on the front door. My old dog really seems to upset the stray cats barking through the door at them so they spray it down really well. Bunch of bird feathers on the porch too so I guess the old Tom cat had a field dressing on the front porch too.

Brother has deer issues in his garden, but they've learned metal mesh is easily removed. He told me the chemical repellents don't work -so I've learned. They lay around his front lawn now and chew the lawn up during deer season when they come down to the city where it's safe. He's got photos of some nice bucks too. They used to move if he yelled at them, but they are pretty placid now and ignore him. I've learned to trap gophers pretty well, but he is still getting the hang of it.

Cripes! Isn't there some sort of repellent that works now? Or has the legal industry taken all the stuff that did work off the market?

Buddy at work who used to hunt says he's already had go-arounds with his daughter about "Daddy hates animals because he shoots them and eats them." He tells her she's "Been brainwashed by watching too many Disney films where all the animals talk, have feelings, fall in love, dance, and sing" and she's been brainwashed and needs to get used to the real world. However, she won. He used to raise rabbits for food and skin them, but cannot now as "He's an evil person" according to his daughter. He had to get rid of his guns and hunting knives too.

My without no coffee AM(?) or PM rant. Got some new poo out front to remove too. Least it doesn't appear to be the same dog. Amazing what the dog's diet can tell the guy who has to clean up after it.

Least the GT ran well, even if some bloke nearly took me out driving his 4-wheeler over the double-yellow. And yeah, I got it on video and it's sort of scary. But in 13 years of BMW ownership, I 'd only call it my second close-call so it didn't bother me too much.
Little crappy dogs with their irresponsible owners however....

Mack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 2009, 10:10 am
Veteran

How about a few Ex-Lax Chocolates scattered on the lawn,and a sign explaining your minefield to the owners.....! Or if you know which dog it is you can always sneak in and bury a few OXO Beef cubes on their lawn......! Works even better when it rains, spreads that lovely beef flavor around and they dig even bigger holes......!Tested....!

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 2009, 8:59 pm
Enthusiast

Cayenne pepper.

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. Will Durant

2006 K 1200 R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 2009, 9:46 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMack
<"Rant warning on!">

Okay, I had a major yard cleanup last week to the tune of $500 (mostly tree trimming), and now it seems every dog in the neighborhood is using my front lawn as it's personal toilet.

I bought some of those granules at Lowe's ("Shot-Gun's" "Repels-All", since 1928 so what's changed in their chemistry lately?) that are *supposed* to repel deer and most other animals but they don't seem to work at all. I scattered some new granules (third time) around the latest mess and shoveled off all the old mess. I mistakenly thought I was good to go.

So here comes some fat woman walking her little fat Chihuahua/Poodle mutt mix and decided he didn't care and went anyway right on top of the stuff! I was still trying to get into my Santiago pants to go riding and couldn't run outside partially dressed, so I banged on the window and yelled at her. She heard me and scampered off really quick for a fat lady with the little fat dog of her's on a leash in tow.

Having been told by a gardener he "Cannot mow my lawn as I got too much dog crap on it and his mower's stink if he does," I had enough. I decided to jump into the car once dressed and was about to chase her down with a shovel and bag and have her come back and clean up her little dog's mess, but my neighbor intervened once in the car and didn't realize someone had yelled at her and told her (that be "Me") and he said he thinks she won't be back. He sits all day (retired) in his porch area and can fend off animal poops to my yard. So I got the shovel out again.

More worthless "Shot-Gun Repels-All" granules spread now and watered and more spread on top too. But now I got cat spray on the front door. My old dog really seems to upset the stray cats barking through the door at them so they spray it down really well. Bunch of bird feathers on the porch too so I guess the old Tom cat had a field dressing on the front porch too.

Brother has deer issues in his garden, but they've learned metal mesh is easily removed. He told me the chemical repellents don't work -so I've learned. They lay around his front lawn now and chew the lawn up during deer season when they come down to the city where it's safe. He's got photos of some nice bucks too. They used to move if he yelled at them, but they are pretty placid now and ignore him. I've learned to trap gophers pretty well, but he is still getting the hang of it.

Cripes! Isn't there some sort of repellent that works now? Or has the legal industry taken all the stuff that did work off the market?

Buddy at work who used to hunt says he's already had go-arounds with his daughter about "Daddy hates animals because he shoots them and eats them." He tells her she's "Been brainwashed by watching too many Disney films where all the animals talk, have feelings, fall in love, dance, and sing" and she's been brainwashed and needs to get used to the real world. However, she won. He used to raise rabbits for food and skin them, but cannot now as "He's an evil person" according to his daughter. He had to get rid of his guns and hunting knives too.

My without no coffee AM(?) or PM rant. Got some new poo out front to remove too. Least it doesn't appear to be the same dog. Amazing what the dog's diet can tell the guy who has to clean up after it.

Least the GT ran well, even if some bloke nearly took me out driving his 4-wheeler over the double-yellow. And yeah, I got it on video and it's sort of scary. But in 13 years of BMW ownership, I 'd only call it my second close-call so it didn't bother me too much.
Little crappy dogs with their irresponsible owners however....

Mack
I would suggest a Colt 1911 .45ACP But since that probably is not practical, I second the idea of Cayenne pepper. And if you ever need to stop a dog chasing you, carry a can of "HALT" pepper spray. It is very potent -- will halt Fido in his tracks without permanent damage. Just make sure you are not spraying it into the wind (don't ask me how I know that).
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 2009, 5:42 am
Enthusiast

Please use the gun or the pepper on the owner , not the dog.
I walk dogs at the local animal shelter on week-ends, as a volunteer, just because I love the honesty of dogs, generally I can't stand people, for exactly the reason you're having a problem. Stupid people, too ignorant,lazy to pick up after the dog. Not only does it make for hard feelings because of the mess,it's a really good way to transfer diseases to other animals. You would not believe the number of good dogs in the shelter, because of stupid,lazy pricks. Sorry if I'm being alittle rough. It's hard to
see and believe.
What about a nice looking fence across the front of your property?

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. Will Durant

2006 K 1200 R

Last edited by volvor; Oct 19th, 2009 at 9:04 am.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 2009, 7:35 am

The next time you have a bacon n' eggs breakfast, deposit the warm bacon grease on top of said "deposit" and watch the horrific look on the dog owner's face when Fido gets attracted to the grease smell.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 2009, 12:07 pm
Enthusiast

Ditto on the Cayenne pepper - JUST DO IT UP WIND

'91 K75S
'06 K1200S
BMWMOA # 119240
Yankee Beemer # 153
NRA # 154764753
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 2009, 1:30 am
Addict

I like bacon grease on the pile and bury the oxo cube at the offending neighbour's.
Me,it's cats:they treat my yard as their luxurious litter box.Can't kill em but...I tried all the repellents,soap,pepper,commercial.None lasted more than a few days.
Get a bigger meaner dog/cat that runs off all the interlopers?Course,then you have to deal with its left overs...
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 2009, 3:49 pm
Noob

A powerful lawn sprinkler deters most cats, dogs & fat ladies......
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 2009, 4:01 pm

Citrus oil seems to do a great job keeping my cats off of places they're not supposed to be. Maybe rub some on the front door?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode