Air Compressor Question ??? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 2009, 4:50 pm Thread Starter

Air Compressor Question ???

I am looking into getting an air compressor. I will be using it to tinker around on my MC, like filling tires, operating a table lift and especially changing tires and needing the air power to seat the tire correctly on the rim.

So what type of compressor should I be looking to get.

Gallons ?
HP ?
PSI ?
Oil base vs Not Oil base.

Is Sears Craftsman a good product for the money or something like HF ?

Any suggestions would be great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 2009, 11:15 pm
Veteran

Speedaire for me, I have one that is about 30-40 years old, beaten up, abused, left running for days on end because I forget to shut it down....still works just fine. I like oil base myself, they usually last longer.Just stay away from the cheap ones where they give you "Free accessories" you can't even run more than a couple minutes then have to wait for more air....! 20 gallons is an absolute minimum , but go bigger if you can,and look at the CFM ratings, very important if you want to run air tools requiring lots of air like sanders, sprayer etc....! They usually specify CFM requirements on new air tools, compressor has to meet them, otherwise you are wasting your money, the tools will not perform adequatly.
I do not know much about Craftsman, they look good, but I had some horrible experiences with their service department about other things, and both my Craftsman snowblower and lawn mower are POS so......

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 2009, 11:47 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi2az
I am looking into getting an air compressor. I will be using it to tinker around on my MC, like filling tires, operating a table lift and especially changing tires and needing the air power to seat the tire correctly on the rim.

So what type of compressor should I be looking to get.

Gallons ?
HP ?
PSI ?
Oil base vs Not Oil base.

Is Sears Craftsman a good product for the money or something like HF ?

Any suggestions would be great.
Gallons- for a home shop, 20 gal tank is fine.

HP- IIRC 2 hp is gonna be about as big a motor you can plug in to normal 20a 120v household circuit. I worked out of my garage for years with a 3/4hp belt drive Speedaire.

PSI- you need to be able to make about 100psi for tires, lift, etc. Air tools will operate at 100psi, but they 'like' more psi and CFM than most small compressors can deliver.

Oil/oilless- the oil-less compressors typically are direct drive units and spin at 3400rpm. They make a LOT more noise than belt drive recips spinning at 600-800 rpms. Oilsump recips will last FOREVER if you check the oil level regularly and change it occasionally.

Sears sells good stuff, HF is fine when 'cheap' is a primary consideration, I have lots of HF tools and equip. but they are not tools I use everyday (transmission jack, 3/4drive sockets etc)

Mike Kelly

Triple M Engineering

K12RS

Stanley, NC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 2009, 9:55 am
JCW
contributor

I think it all depends on what you are going to use it for.

I've had both the upright 60 or 80gal compressor with fully plumbed airlines, dryers, Q/D's around the garage. Then I moved and now just use one of those portable compressors.

I use the small compressor to run die grinders, impact wrenches, a plasma cutter, small blow guns all the time, and, yes, you have to wait every so often till the pressure builds up, but if you're not in a hurry it hasn't been a big deal for me.

Sears stuff all depends who the original manufacturer is of the product. (Basically most of their products are rebadged). The professional line is USUALLY ok. The best thing about sears is their return policy. It's usually no hassle.

'06 K1200R- in pieces
'73 Honda CB500F- slow but fun.
'77 Yamaha XS 750 triple- kinda

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode