Windows 7 anyone? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 2009, 9:19 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Question Windows 7 anyone?

Bought a laptop that has some free upgrade to Windows 7 from the Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit stuff on it now. I did the card update thing online and Microsoft is sending me the upgrade disk to Windows 7 out now.

For anyone who has done this already, will I need to reinstall all the software if I do the upgrade? I'd hate spending a week (or longer) reloading all the software and getting it configured right.

Thx.

Mack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 2009, 2:18 am
Enthusiast

You can only do the upgrade if you get Windows 7 Ultimate (64 bit) otherwise it's a clean install. The bottom line is the upgrade has to match the original system's configuration (or be a higher upgrade level). Like Vista Business requires Windows 7 Pro (or Ultimate). There are ways around it but you end up taking chances. This page has the best chart:

http://www.laplink.com/pcmover/pcmov...assistant.html

Click on "here's a chart."

Last edited by beavtm; Oct 24th, 2009 at 2:24 am.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 2009, 10:40 am Thread Starter
Veteran

Thanks beavtm!

That chart, once I found it, tells me I won't need to do a fresh install of all my stuff on the laptop. Yay!

It's a Sager NP9280 (a very sweet laptop/notebook/workstation/? if you want to get rid of your big ol' desktop machine) and comes with the new Intel i7 3.xx GHz 8 core processor. It's a very heavy beast though (12+ pounds, less the 300 watt inline power brick which may weigh 6-8 pounds alone). My other laptops could not handle video processing well (that stuff seems to really put a load on the machine's processing ability) at all and took days, if not a week+, to do it. They usually crashed out from heat overload and blue-screened. What took a week on the Toshiba now takes only a couple of hours on the Sager. Really didn't think going from an older dual-core 2GHz to some 3.x? GHz 64-bit with 6 gigs RAM and much faster video card would do much. It has 3 cooling fans underneath and some radiator so overheating isn't an issue on it like on my two Toshiba's that I could bring down to their knees (i.e. a BS-of-Death crash) on video work. It can accept 3 hard-drives (I only got two in some RAID array backup). Bought it at their company's store in City of Industry near LA. There's not much out there that will handle H-D video processing.

Anyway, I'm moving its current system from Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit to Windows Ultimate 64-bit so it appears I'm lucky on this one! Sager just posted the Windows 7 driver's so I hope it will be even better!.

Let's see if I can post the upgrading chart....

Mack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 2009, 8:44 pm
Enthusiast

Glad you didn't have to pay the piper on the upgrade, that's a 200 dollar fee otherwise.

Just used pcmover (link in my first response) to upgrade an XP system to Windows 7 Home Edition. For 20 bucks I was able to do the install and save countless hours of re-installs. So far I've done Ultimate, Home (with pcmover) and Pro installs. Certainly less issues than when I first went to Vista (3rd party software madness).

The upgrade is fairly painless and the best bang for the buck was on my Acer Aspire One.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 2009, 2:36 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Does seem smaller than Vista in size. When it said the "Upgrade may take hours" I thought "No way!" Ended up taking about 1-1/2 hours to do it's thing before it asked for the code on the package. Better install overall and it didn't bug me with questions until after it wanted the code near the end. Then about two hours of cleaning up defragging, some other driver installs (not many), etc.

So far so good.

Mack
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 2009, 1:13 am
Addict

I hate Vista.Is w7 better?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode