Saw Avatar... (warning slight spoiler) - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 2010, 12:06 am Thread Starter
JCW
contributor

Saw Avatar... (warning slight spoiler)

and did not love it. It was OK, but for me at least (and I'm in the minority- what is it? $1 billion worldwide yet?), it didn't live up to the hype.

I was not impressed with the first 2/3 of the movie or with the 3D.
I felt scenes in the first half of the movie were CGI or CGI's sake.
I thought the story was campy and really not that interesting or even very original.
Characters were one dimensional and almost cliche- the military guy in particular (although I kinda liked him the best)
I EVEN disliked the fact that he was screwing an alien (come on, tell me you didn't see that coming from the beginning of the movie) and shooting at humans. We're supposed to cheer for that?

And just so you don't think I'm a Cameron/sci-fi/movie hater, I really liked one of his other blockbuster movie, Titanic.
Ridley Scott's Gladiator was a much better movie for so many reasons.

Any comments?

'06 K1200R- in pieces
'73 Honda CB500F- slow but fun.
'77 Yamaha XS 750 triple- kinda

Last edited by JCW; Jan 9th, 2010 at 10:32 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 2010, 11:40 am
Sooper Dooper Moderator

Liked the movie for the special effects... really took movie-making to a new level in my book. There was definitely a huge amount of Hollywood left-wing philosophy in it that was over-played, and I didn't like it that they had to make the fighters Marines... they were supposed to be mercenaries, but they were portrayed as Marines none-the-less and I didn't appreciate that at all. All in all I liked the movie for its technical awesomeness.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 2010, 12:19 pm Thread Starter
JCW
contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckwilmot
Liked the movie for the special effects... really took movie-making to a new level in my book. There was definitely a huge amount of Hollywood left-wing philosophy in it that was over-played, and I didn't like it that they had to make the fighters Marines... they were supposed to be mercenaries, but they were portrayed as Marines none-the-less and I didn't appreciate that at all. All in all I liked the movie for its technical awesomeness.
Agree with you on all points.

Best special effects I've seen, yes.

I don't think Cameron set up the story enough (for me at least) to cheer for the Avatar shooting his own people. Yes, portraying them more as mercenaries (and in the end, that's really all they were) would have helped but there had to have been a more profound personal loss earlier in the movie.

When Gladiator's character fought in the arena, you were 100% behind him. The story was set up nicely.
(Sorry for bringing up Gladiator repeatedly, it's a personal joke, and I'm trying to bait someone to respond because I REALLY want to know what he thinks. I'm not gay on Gladiator or anything like that. )

'06 K1200R- in pieces

Last edited by JCW; Jan 9th, 2010 at 12:28 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 2010, 4:11 pm
Sooper Dooper Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCW
(Sorry for bringing up Gladiator repeatedly, it's a personal joke, and I'm trying to bait someone to respond because I REALLY want to know what he thinks. . )
Are you talking about the writer whose screen name I won't mention?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 2010, 5:49 pm Thread Starter
JCW
contributor

I'm waiting...

'06 K1200R- in pieces
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 2010, 7:07 am
Addict

since most of latest productions were crap, this one is at list different.

2010 R1200RT
2009 X6
2010 X1
former and future k owner
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 2010, 9:26 am

I really liked the movie, but I am a SCIFI geek. As for the story, there is an animated movie form maybe 20 years ago my daughter was in love with called Ferngully. Avatar IS that movie with only a few minor tweaks (and Tim Curry's voice as the bad guy will always be a favorite). My wife walked out of Avatar and said, "Wow, that was great ... Ferngully redone!"

Again, I liked it, but it was too predictable, the story was pretty campy, it was a clear liberal political statement (which also said "Hey, it is okay to turn on your own people and kill them.") - the special effects were awesome and I want a Battlesuit to commute in.

Side note, the Avatar Game - finished it in 2 evenings, was pretty poorly done in my opinion ... I personally hate games that it is impossible to lose at ... where the heck is the challenge in that?

- CRASH -
IBA# 21680
"Motorcycles and beer, that is how I know there is a God and that he loves us."
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 2010, 9:26 am

I'll see it, eventually, like when it comes on AMC (who will kill it with two hours of commercials) in about six or eight years.......maybe.

Regards,
Randy
'02 RT nacht black
'05 Ducati ST3 black
'06 K12S bumble bee
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 2010, 12:42 pm
I'm riding

did not like it. And the idea is controversial at least.
He wanted to blame Big Money for the lust or he feels guilty for the Indians(or Iraqies) or he just thinks that the world is so bad than aliens are better than people?

but at least he attracted attention - if that was his aim.

Take care!

'06 K1200GT Blue (sold)
'09 F800GS Grey
'07 F800ST Blue - wife's(sold)
'09 F650GS Blue - wife's
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 2010, 1:48 pm
Veteran

Geezz.. some of you guys are hard to please... This time I'll agree with the unwashed masses.. It was the most amazing experience in all my years of movie going. Like nothing I've ever seen. Had planned on seeing it on an IMAX screen but they were sold out for weeks. We gave up and saw it on a regular screen in 3D. Afterwards my buddy was silent for a few minutes and then said. "I don't think I could have taken that on IMAX.. I'm emotionally drained."

We (both of us sci-fi nuts) agreed it was not only the finest James Cameron fim.. it's one of the best scifi films ever made...Is the story Isaac Asimov or Frank Herbert or Stanley Kubrick "deep?"... not even close, but it was 100% ripping escapism. Best 3D I've ever seen.

Took Amber to see it later.. she agreed with us...

Cameron has raised the bar to new heights...If anyone out there hasn't already seen it.. go NOW while it's still showing on the big screen....and certainly in 3D...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode