Toyota case - what is it? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 2010, 2:43 pm Thread Starter
I'm riding

Toyota case - what is it?

politics or quality?
The White House tries to protect local brands or there are real problems with quality?

What is your opinion - will Americans stop buying Toyota cars?

Take care!

'06 K1200GT Blue (sold)
'09 F800GS Grey
'07 F800ST Blue - wife's(sold)
'09 F650GS Blue - wife's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 2010, 3:05 pm
Veteran

Possibly both....GM just announced they were "Reopening" 600 or so dealerships that were closed just last year out of a 1000+.

I can only hope this will include my Dad's old dealership from way back, I still know quite a few of the guys I used to work with back then.

Toyota.....a big "Red Emergency Cut-off Switch" in the middle of the dash could be the answer, but THAT may really scare the customers away....!

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 2010, 7:35 pm
no power in the 'verse can stop me

Toyota's been busting their ass to beat GM for the last several years.
Instead of staying focused on quality, they decided they wanted to be number one.

And now they are.

Problem is, when you wanna be as big as GM, your problems get that big too.

tim-----still on the right side of the frostline

you can't stop the signal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 2010, 10:22 pm
Enthusiast

The First Step in Correcting Quality Issues, is admitting they exist. BMW and Toyota haven't completed the first step.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 2010, 1:18 am

Every manufacturer has issues and trys to keep them under raps. I had issues with a new chrysler years ago , they refused to admit it had brake issues. Toyota is in the crosshairs because of the auto workers union Randy sterns of seiu. After all nobody but randy can just walk into the white house.Last year I think he was there over 22 times ,more than anyone . They would love to put toyota in the same boat as gm, ford, chrysler. After all it is a non union company so they have to knock it from the top of the mountain. All we have to do is follow the money . Anyone but me wonder why all the people with run away autos just didn't turn the key off? Anyone like the line of the guy that was stopped by the police cruiser. He thought he would damage reverse shifting the car in park . Makes me wonder how stupid people really are.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 2010, 7:09 pm
Looking for better limits...

"Anyone but me wonder why all the people with run away autos just didn't turn the key off?"
So, where's this "key" for a Prius?
Why doesn't shifting into neutral actually put the transmission into neutral?
Why aren't 4Runners affected? 'Cause they're the ones totally made in Japan?

There's a lot more than some union mucky-muck walking into the whitehouse 22 times in a year causing all of this. Sad, too, because there are folks in prison for losing control of their vehicle that ended up running into other cars and killing people.
Any other countries having the same problem with their Toyotas?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Sze
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 2010, 12:39 am Thread Starter
I'm riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razel

There's a lot more than some union mucky-muck walking into the whitehouse 22 times in a year causing all of this. Sad, too, because there are folks in prison for losing control of their vehicle that ended up running into other cars and killing people.
Any other countries having the same problem with their Toyotas?
Here we were shown on TV some guys mumbling something about "my car went crazy.." and "acceleration pedal was stuck but I managed to stop" etc. Here TOYOTA recalled some of their cars, manufactured past 2 years .
But still Toyota cars are number one among sold and among stolen...and their image still is "bulletproof and reliable cars/and trucks/"

Take care!

'06 K1200GT Blue (sold)
'09 F800GS Grey
'07 F800ST Blue - wife's(sold)
'09 F650GS Blue - wife's
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 2010, 8:35 am
Veteran

With the Prius, I think the gear selector lever is just a switch and no mechanical link to the tranny to get it into neutral. Also, I suspect the smashing the brakes is a bit of the regenerative engine braking circuit as well as it charges the batteries until the speed gets low enough for the mechanical brakes to kick in.

The main on/off button also has some weird master reset where one needs to hold the Odometer reset button down while pressing the boot (on/off) button down twice until it counts down to 5 flat lines on the display and then release the Odo reset button. Now who the hell ever reads the manual to find that out?

Then on tonight's news they say stepping on both the accelerator and the brake at the same time forces the car into neutral? Seems a bit counter-intuitive to step on both at the same time, especially the gas peddle. Dunno. Maybe they need to go back and write the car's computer language in Assembly rather than some Window's-like 'Blue-Screen-of-Death' stuff.

Mack
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 2010, 3:43 pm
JCW
contributor

Read this?

http://autos.aol.com/article/prius-driver-scam

Did the driver of a runaway Toyota Prius in San Diego tell the truth when he said his accelerator pedal stuck earlier this week? New evidence is calling the driver's credibility into question, although the real answer will not be entirely clear until Toyota and the NHTSA announce the results of their investigation. Details about the driver, James Sikes, leave many wondering if he had ulterior motives for his claims.

USA Today and Jalopnik.com are directly asking the question as to whether or not he faked the incident, citing previous issues with debt and repeated insurance claims as reason for their doubts.

The reports indicate that prior to his unintended acceleration incident, James Sikes and his wife -- both realtors -- found themselves grappling with California's notorious housing bubble and filed for bankruptcy in 2008. Reports show they have $700,000 in debt to their names. He already had a motor home, Mercedes-Benz automobile and Dodge Truck repossessed in the proceedings with creditors.

Among the creditors to whom he owes payments is Toyota Financial Services. Various reports indicate that Sikes is either current with his payments or behind by five months on the 2008 Toyota Prius involved in this week's incident, which has 7,200 miles on it and is valued at $20,494.

Are All Claims Real?

If everyone who gets into a car accident or gets caught speeding is driving a Toyota, should we assume they're experiencing sudden acceleration? The question is an uncomfortable one: if every incident involving a Toyota could be blamed on the company and not the driver, it gives a free pass (albeit a frightening one) to those who choose to exploit it.

For example, in the first 10 weeks of 2009, there were 272 complaints filed to NHTSA in the U.S. for speed control issues with the Prius, according to Associated Press reports. In all of 2008 there were only 74 and just 8 in 2007.

If Sikes's claims were fake, he played a convincing hand. At the time of the incident, all signs pointed to his experience as being authentic.

"I won't drive that car again, period," he told reporters.

Furthermore, the recording of his 911 call, since released, was evidence of the situation's authenticity; unless Sikes was an actor of the highest order, we can't imagine how he'd fake this incident.

Perhaps even more damaging are reports that Sikes has a long history of items being stolen from him, for which he then filed insurance claims.

Skeptics of Sikes also cite the 911 tape that was released shortly after the incident. During the tape, the dispatcher repeatedly told Sikes to put the car in neutral in order to stop it from accelerating. Sikes did not comply with her instructions or the instructions of the officer on the scene who told him to do the same thing via his public address system as they tore down the highway.

What Do You Think?
Did Sikes fake unintended acceleration in his Prius?
Yes
No

Beyond the call itself, the Associated Press reports that Sikes's car was equipped with a brake override system, something that should have slowed the car down once he stomped on the brake pedal.

Sikes claimed he thought that would "flip the car."

"I've since found out that's not possible, but I had no idea," Sikes told USA Today. "Hopefully, I helped save five to 10 lives because people are now finding out" how to put a moving Prius into neutral.

Until Toyota and the NHTSA release the results of their investigation, there wont be any real answers.

Do you think Sikes was telling the truth? Let us know in the comments section below and vote in our poll.

'06 K1200R- in pieces
'73 Honda CB500F- slow but fun.
'77 Yamaha XS 750 triple- kinda
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 2010, 6:44 pm

I've a 09 Tundra...it is on Recall list. But I've personally searched thru Tundra, Camry, FJ Cruiser, and other Toyota forums and I was surprised to notice that there is not a single thread regarding Stuck Gas Pedal. I also have a Ford and Dodge in Garage too. Only one have issue is Dodge (shifts hard from 1st to 2nd gear).
If you research NHTSA web site, there are other manufacturers like Ford with similar issues reported on F150s.

Well all the govt. hearings were requested in teh begining by congressman Stupak (I think that is his name) from Michigan...well it is election year. And then Media has no news from Iraq or Afganistan, so to them this was the hotest news. VW quitely recalled Tiguon for stuck gas pedals and media didn't even mention because they were too busy after Toyota.

Guls
2007 K1200R Sport

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode