I'm going to CANADA!! - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 9:08 am Thread Starter

I'm going to CANADA!!

I'm so excited!!!

I FINALLY got a passport and I'm leaving the country. I'm terrified but excited at the same time. First motorcycle vacation and first time taking the bike into another country. I'm going to Canada in July. Hitting Toronto and Montreal and a few other places nearby.

Here's what I need to know - this is sort of a "UNIQUE" trip to a certain degree. I don't want to visit the same ole touristy stuff. I plan to see the Parliament, visit the 45th parallel, see a Lift Lock, visit a winery or too, go to Montreal and there are a couple of places that are historical that I want to see.

Okay - so NOW, what would you say is ONE thing that I really shouldn't miss if I can find the time?? I don't really have a "Wow" stop yet and I'm trying to find one. Yes the trip is WOW in itself but I'm still looking for a good Stop.

Can you help??? What places do you suggest

2010 K1300GT My beloved ROCKET!!
IBA #37898
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 9:28 am
Rookie

Canada

No suggestions for places to visit in the area you're going, as we haven't been to that area yet, but just wanted to say "Have fun." We (wife and I, separate bikes) rode to Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island last summer, through Maine. It was a wonderful trip and we thought Canada was a great country. We took every opportunity to stop and talk to local riders, which led to some great suggestions for places to visit.

Some advice would be to make lodging reservations in advance, if you intend to stay in hotels, pay for fuel, etc., with a credit card as opposed to a debit card and change your currency before you get into Canada. Write back if you want me to expand on any of the reasons for that. Otherwise, have a great time.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 3:03 pm
Addict

First off don't be nervous the GT is a pretty smart bike, but won't realize you have left the U.S. unless you tell it. I have been to Canada many times, but take the roads less traveled. If I were you I would forget the Cities, and visit Nova Scotia. Take the bike up to bar harbor maine have some lobster and catch the CAT ferry over to Nova Scotia. Great scenery, hit halifax small little city with wineries, breweries, and museums, then head on to the Cabot trail for a nice ride along the coast. My two cents good luck

MOA Member #106320
2003 R1150RT Titan Silver
2008 K1200GT Dark Graphite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 4:06 pm
Veteran

debit card?

What advantage has a credit card over a debit card? Use my debit card all the time overseas.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 5:21 pm
Noob

trip to the north

Hi there,

I just returned from a trip thru GA and Virginia Beach VA. Beautiful country you have down there. Be sure to come up thru Pennsylvania, the roads are awsome.

There are so many routes you could take thru Canada...where do you plan to cross?

Ottawa has some beautiful routes, Montreal, Quebec City are all close by too if your coming that far. The Ottawa valley is nice for bikes.

Im over in Kincardine on the sunset shores of Lake Huron. Its quite a trip, and have to say the Bruce Penninsula has some great scenis areas too, being the northern end of the Niagara Escarpment.

Why dont you search www.gorideontario.com/motorcycle..it may help in your planning a route.

Best of luck,
Glen
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 8:34 pm Thread Starter

I'm very curious about the debit/credit card issues?

I'm probably crossing through Buffalo. I don't have the raging desire to do the touristy thing and go through Niagara. I'm hoping Buffalo will be easier. I'm riding up to Erie on the 16th and then crossing and going to Toronto on the 17th. I've got most of my route planned so I don't want to change it up this year. Maybe in a year or 2, I'll go back and hit the Nova Scotia area.

Thanks for the tips!

2010 K1300GT My beloved ROCKET!!
IBA #37898
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 9:33 pm
Addict-oholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWGirl

I'm probably crossing through Buffalo. I don't have the raging desire to do the touristy thing and go through Niagara. I'm hoping Buffalo will be easier. I'm riding up to Erie on the 16th and then crossing and going to Toronto on the 17th. I've got most of my route planned so I don't want to change it up this year. Maybe in a year or 2, I'll go back and hit the Nova Scotia area.

Thanks for the tips!
Also VERY IMPORTANT, call your insurance company to get a Canadian insurance card. Otherwise, you may run into a problem at the border. Customs could be sticky if you don't have it with you. It is the same as a US proof of insurnace but formatted for their needs.

Sounds fabulous...

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 2010, 4:08 pm

I use a credit card for security issues. It's easy to dispute a charge or get the card shut down if it gets stolen.

Make sure you call your credit card company before you leave and advise them you are taking it to Canada. My first trip up they shut down my card as soon as i crossed the border. It just took a phone call to get it activated again but this can be avoided with a call before you go.

Bill

2006 K1200R
Loud brakes save lives!
Harley Davidson (noun) -The most efficient way to convert gasoline into noise, without the side effect of horsepower.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 2010, 9:38 pm
Rookie

Credit Card v. Debit Card

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papilio
What advantage has a credit card over a debit card? Use my debit card all the time overseas.
I used my debit card when traveling in Canada last year and found out that every time you would buy something, they would encumber some ridiculous amount in your account that was, like, 3 or 4 times what you were spending. This happened both at gas pumps and at hotels. It then takes the companies more than a week to release the hold on your funds, which left me in a position where I was dealing with overdraft charges and being unable to charge anything else. Luckily I had enough cash with me.

It is common for a place where you use your debit card to encumber funds. Around here, if I get gas I will see a charge for about $1.00 usually, then it changes to the actual amount a few days later. When you are traveling out of the country, rather than encumber a small amount just to make sure your card is real they will hit your account for a crazy amount, like $60 or $80 when you get gas for your motorcycle. It doesn't take too many days of filling up 3 or 4 times before you're in big trouble, or at least before I was. I try not to keep too much in my checking account, which is what my debit card hits, in case it gets stolen or compromised.

Hotels are even worse. I found that when I would check in they would hit me for twice the price of the room, then when I would check out they would do the same thing again. Don't forget, it takes over a week for them to release the hold on your funds. A credit card eliminates all that nonsense.

Also, watch your phone. If you have an iPhone, when you enter Canada you are subject to BIG extra charges for automatic data downloads. That can even happen if you're on the US side of the border but hit a Canadian cell tower. Do yourself a favor and buy an add-on plan in advance. Not sure if other phones are like that, but I'll bet they are.

Don't mean to discourage you at all. Canada was great. Knowledge is power.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 2010, 12:32 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWGirl

Thanks for the tips!
Buffalo is an easy border crossing going into Canada, actually leaving never takes more than a couple of minutes coming home is the problem. LarryKay is correct about the insurance card call your insurance company and tell them your going into canada and need a valid Insurance card Progressive sends them out same day. Enjoy your trip take lots of pictures to share with us when you get home.

MOA Member #106320
2003 R1150RT Titan Silver
2008 K1200GT Dark Graphite

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode