Anyone have a preference for a prepaid phone? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 2010, 8:09 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Anyone have a preference for a prepaid phone?

I'd like to get a simple emergency phone to carry on the bike(s). My current data phone with AT&T is running nearly $1,020 per year which is way too much according to some that I've talked to about their phones and plans.

I don't know much about T-Mobile, but I stopped in their store and the guy showed me some phone for $39 and for $100 I get 1000 minutes of talk+text for one year which is a far better plan to me for an emergency or making a motel reservation on the road. I can always use the laptop on the motel's Wi-Fi dime, so data isn't important.

He also said they were soon moving to 4G as is Sprint now so there will be fewer dropped calls than with AT&T which hiccups a bit for me, probably due to all those iPhones' data network usage. Their coverage map for prepaid seems far better than AT&T too (i.e. AT&T has no prepaid service in Montana?).

Comments?

Mack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 2010, 7:05 am
Rookie

Pre-paid Cell Phone

Just got a tracfone (tracfone.com) which I believe runs on the Verizon network. That should provide plenty of nationwide coverage. The scam with prepaid is that your minutes only last for a specified time period, i.e., you buy 60 minutes which is good for 90 days. At the end of 90 days your minutes expire whether you used 59 of them or 1 of them. As long as you can work with that it should be good.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 2010, 7:49 am

Not all prepaids work that way. I'm still using the Simple Freedom phone I bought 6 years ago. My minutes roll over, as long as I buy another card before the current one expires. Right now, I've got somewhere around $315 of accumulated minutes available, which I've built up over the years.

Simple Freedom was bought up by Alltel, which then passed into AT&T's hands, although there are still Alltel storefronts around here and The Alltel U prepaid cards are available in WalMart.

If I go up into Alabama to an Alltel store, I can get a 12 month card for $100 instead of a 2 month card for $20.

The fine print is that the renewal period starts from the time you activate the new card. It does not delay until the previous card runs out of time. So I have to wait for the actual expiration date, before activating the new card, to avoid wasting whatever number of days were remaining on the previous card.

regards,
Joe

...Hurry up?!? ...Why?
I've got all the rest of my life, to do everything I'm going to do.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode