3.99 GB usable RAM running windows 7 - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 2010, 8:48 pm Thread Starter
JCW
contributor

3.99 GB usable RAM running windows 7

I have Windows 7 Ultimate installed on a EVGA X58 SLI LE motherboard running Intel Core i7 930 with a BFG Nvidia GTX 260 video card with 6 GB of Corsair DDR3 RAM. Everything is running at out-of-box speed, I'm not overclocked.

Whenever the computer comes out of hibernation, the 6GB of RAM drops to 3.99GB. If I reboot and fiddle with the bios or reseat the RAM the 6GB comes back. If I don't turn on hiberate, the 6GB drops to 3.99GB after an undetermined time (usually if I leave the computer on overnight).

I've read through a million forum posts offering advice from bios changes to bios firmware updates to bad RAM to bad mobo.

Any suggestions?

'06 K1200R- in pieces
'73 Honda CB500F- slow but fun.
'77 Yamaha XS 750 triple- kinda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 2010, 3:10 am
Addict

I assume you are running x64? have you checked with something like CPU-Z to see if your system is still seeing th 6gb of ram after you come out of hibernation?

However, on a side note, if it comes out of hibernation w/o any problems, then everything should be fine. It might just be a glitch in the "useable ram" calculations. If you make ANY hardware changes when hibernating, It wouldn't come back on correctly since the hibernation file is basically a compressed copy of what's in system memory plus no alteration of the paging file on your HDD.

An easy archaic way you can check is to fill up your momory by doing something like opening up a lot of programs or photoshop with lots of large picture files so that your used RAM is in the 5gb range. Than hibernate, and see if you can resume from that. If you can, then windows must be utilizing more than the reported 4gb.

2006 K12R Aluminum - 6/2007~current
-ESA, ABS, heated grips, sport bags.
-PCIII w/ dyno tuned street map
-Leo Vince Ti silencer
-HID main light
-HID aux lights
-dual air filters
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 2010, 7:43 am Thread Starter
JCW
contributor

I tried filling ram with some autocad programs. I had trouble getting over 3gb. But I think that was cause I didn't have very many files to open.

I think at one point I got close and the program shut itself down and went through an error check and prepared an error report.

I'll try again. Thanks.

'06 K1200R- in pieces
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 2010, 12:59 pm
Addict

When you say the memory drops to 3.99GB, what exactly are you refering to (Installed Physical Memory, Available Physical Memory, etc)? If you're looking at Avaialble, ignore it, it's a useless number that has wasted so many peoples time trying to troubleshot something that isn't broken. Even if you're trying to troubleshoot a low memory condition you wouldn't use that stat.

I'll leave what I wrote above but I just noticed your subject was "usable RAM". If you're running Windows 7 in 32 bit mode, you won't be able to use all 6GB of RAM. If you right-click on My Computer and select Properties under "System type:" do you see "64-bit Operating System"? If you don't, you'll be limited to 4GB of useable even if you have 6GB installed.

James

’06 K1200R Corbin w/ smuggler, Wilbers shocks, PCIII, Factory Pro Dyno tuned, CC Suspension plates, Vario levers, Dual Evo filters, Leo Vince SBK, V1, Zumo 550

’02 WR250F Stock

’99 SV650 GSX-R front end, Aftershocks suspension, Penske shock, 41mm FCR flat slides, Bridgestone slicks, M4 exhaust, Vortex clipons, Woodcraft rearsets, Hot Bodies race bodywork, Factory Pro clutch cover, Total Loss ignition, BRG relocated battery, APE Adjustable Cam sprockets, JE 13:1 pistons, mild porting, balanced crank, Sunoco 110 race fuel

’98 KLX331 Race Tech suspension, 331 Stroker big bore kit, 33mm pumper, Tag bars, Stroker exhaust, IMS desert tank, tall seat foam w/ Stroker cover, Open air box, KX clutch
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 2010, 1:31 pm Thread Starter
JCW
contributor

Thanks for the help guys.

Someone once said that it's the graphics card in the PCI-e slot, but I don't buy that. When I restart the system, the graphics card is functional but I get all 6MB.

'06 K1200R- in pieces
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 2010, 5:34 pm
Addict

Your screen shot shows a 2GB Hardware reservation, that's why it's not useable to Windows. That MB allows for tripple channel mode and should have 6 DIMM slots, how do you have the memory configured (6x1GB, 3x2GB, etc)?

James

’06 K1200R Corbin w/ smuggler, Wilbers shocks, PCIII, Factory Pro Dyno tuned, CC Suspension plates, Vario levers, Dual Evo filters, Leo Vince SBK, V1, Zumo 550

’02 WR250F Stock

’99 SV650 GSX-R front end, Aftershocks suspension, Penske shock, 41mm FCR flat slides, Bridgestone slicks, M4 exhaust, Vortex clipons, Woodcraft rearsets, Hot Bodies race bodywork, Factory Pro clutch cover, Total Loss ignition, BRG relocated battery, APE Adjustable Cam sprockets, JE 13:1 pistons, mild porting, balanced crank, Sunoco 110 race fuel

’98 KLX331 Race Tech suspension, 331 Stroker big bore kit, 33mm pumper, Tag bars, Stroker exhaust, IMS desert tank, tall seat foam w/ Stroker cover, Open air box, KX clutch
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 2010, 5:51 pm
Addict

I looked up your MB, assuming you have (3) 2GB sticks, those should be installed in DIMM slots 1,3,5 (the green slots).

James

’02 WR250F Stock

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 2010, 9:24 pm Thread Starter
JCW
contributor

Yes, I have 3- 2gb installed as per the instructions in DIMM 1,3,5.

It will show 6gb with only 9mb in reserve when I first boot the computer. Then after a while this happens...

I think the problem is with the motherboard. I will try to get a replacement.

'06 K1200R- in pieces

Last edited by JCW; Sep 3rd, 2010 at 10:00 pm.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 2010, 9:11 pm Thread Starter
JCW
contributor

I reinstalled the CPU once again, reinstalled the ram, restored defaults on bios, then followed the instructions from EVGA help desk in anticipation of a return.

Before that, I rebooted and all 6GB came back.

He told me to...

MCHstrap to DRAM ratio
TRL to +2
Increase low memory gap

So I did.

Then I downloaded some autocad files and loaded up the memory. I actually got over 5GB of memory in use. I don't know why it didn't capture. But here's 4.4GB...

Window explorer hung up once when I got over 4gb; however, I was able to run the autocad programs without problem.

I'll leave it on overnight and see if 6GB are there in the AM.

I hope I seated the cooler back on the cpu OK...

'06 K1200R- in pieces
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 2010, 10:56 pm Thread Starter
JCW
contributor

Funny, when I boot the computer up in AM, it's back to 3.99GB.
Then if I shut down then reboot, it reverts to 6GB and stays there.
I can't figure it out.
EVGA is slow with the tech support or return authorization.

So, here's some funny HD music videos...

Playin rough, fixin stuff, it's the Dad life

Where my kids at???

ALERT NSFW- Language

I'm Awesome

'06 K1200R- in pieces

Last edited by JCW; Sep 7th, 2010 at 11:08 pm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode