fuel pump life - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 2011, 1:58 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

fuel pump life

Interesting to note that both my KRS and my pals GT both failed because of a dead fuel pump at about 80,000K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 2011, 5:34 pm
Sooper Dooper Moderator

Do they use the same fuel pump?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 2011, 1:26 am Thread Starter
Veteran

pump

Yep...Sure do Chuck, ordered him one out from the UK. Both bikes 2003
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 2011, 2:46 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papilio
Interesting to note that both my KRS and my pals GT both failed because of a dead fuel pump at about 80,000K
That doesn't sound so bad for a very compact high pressure/high current pump depending on how you ride.

Of course if we were being theoretical about it, we would have to say if the filters and gas were kept clean along with a decent fuel level, pump life depends on how fast you ride, not on mileage?

Pump life is probably a function of the number of hours it is running. Therefore, a consistently fast rider will get more miles from his fuel pump than a slow rider.

So are you 80K per pump riders riding your bikes a bit too fast?

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 2011, 8:25 pm

Slow?

Seems to me that if the mileage to failure seems low that it's because they are riding SLOW.

Be interesting to install a hobbs meter on a new bike and see the actual running time vs. what you'd expect by mileage... you've have to come up with some type of average speed per hour to do the comparison but it could be done.

I think no one ever bothers with a hobbs meter on motor vehicles with odometers because usually that's enough info right there.... I can see how odd operation with a lot of idling time (like police and fire vehicles) where they could come in handy.

Tony G

'87 K100LT "Her Teutonic Majesty"
'79 XS750 "The Triple"
'72 A65T "The T-Bolt"
'68 B25 "The Blue Bike"
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 2011, 2:54 pm
Veteran

When I had my RT, the fuel pump's pickup sock was covered with a purple jelly-like goo and it stuttered on hard acceleration like the pump was going out. I suspected the crappy ethanol gas we have may have had an issue with that but I don't know. There are some kits out there that tell you what the ethanol content is and also to watch the gas and alcohol separate out and form some goop in the middle. They say the ethanol stuff is only good for about 90 days. Maybe it was taking part of the resins in the plastic tank with it and plugging it up? All I know was it took a putty knife and a large spoon to get all that goop out of the plastic tank.

Mack
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 2011, 9:41 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

eth

We do have ethanol this side of the lake, but it is clearly labelled and a small percentage. No bike rider I know would use it. But I believe it is okay

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode