Am so screwed - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 2011, 6:17 pm Thread Starter

Am so screwed

Heh, not really sure where this post should go (believe me, i wish it didn't exhist).

My family is a motorcycling family. I have ridden for 20+ years and i have ridden motocross and trail riding as much as possible with my son for the last 10 years.

My son had a cyst removed from his posterior last thursday and my yz450f has bad steering bearings (and is apart in the garage). My friend just acquired an RM250 a few weeks ago and wanted to go to the trails up north and make sure the bike is tuned. Having ridden thousands of miles in the trails up north i didn't think twice about it and loaded my son's zy250f sunday morning and off we went.

We rode (at a nice easy pace) for about 2 hrs. Approx 10am my friend (who was ahead of me) stopped at a trail head and waited for me. I didn't show and he shut his bike off to see if he could hear mine. He couldn't and he headed back to see what was up.

He told me that he went about a mile and a half back and found me face down in the trail about 15 feet from my bike. He said i was conscious but not really moving very much. I'd already pulled my helmet and wasn't making any sense. I don't really know what happened but somehow i stuffed the bike, had the handle bars bottom-out and as an end result i separated my pelvis (pubic bone) by several mm's.

I would guess that the reason i don't remember anything is because i must have been in shock when my pelvis exploded. I was told that it took my friend and several quad riders about 2 hrs to get me back to the truck and fastened in.

Looks like i am out of commission for at least 6 -8 weeks , i think i need to put some new bars on the kids bike, and my fall road bike cruize has been cancelled....
This sux and i just needed to vent....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 2011, 12:41 am
Addict

Ow!Sorry for what happened. Hope it turns out OK for you.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 2011, 10:05 am Thread Starter

Heh, sorry I was whining, I guess my pain meds had worn off...for as many years I have been riding I suppose I'm lucky this my first major injury.
This happened on sunday and my first steps were yesterday...I'm a bit down as I was really looking fwd to our late sept ride across the state and looks like I will miss it...
Thanks for letting me vent
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 2011, 3:37 pm
Veteran

But

But have you figured out what you did wrong. As for venting....you should have heard me when I decided to do my toe nails with an electric chain saw sharpener.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 2011, 6:58 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papilio
But have you figured out what you did wrong. As for venting....you should have heard me when I decided to do my toe nails with an electric chain saw sharpener.
YIKES! to tell the truth, I don't remember anything from sunday other than off-loading the bikes from the trailer, some portion of the ride back to my home town hospital, taking a swing at the radiologist when they tried to lay me down flat....next thing I know itz wednesday....
Though I've trail ridden thousands of miles I have only done 15 or 20 feet on my pelvis...I haven't a clue what I did out how I did it...one of those things that I wish was on video...
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 2011, 8:43 am
Addict

Dont' feel like the lone ranger

I never broke a bone in my life (and I've always been VERY active, risk sports, marines, et el)...

fast forward to fall 2009, sliding sideways on a fully loaded K1200LT (with wife on back) at over 70 MPH. My right upper quadrant is garbage, broke all kinds of stuff and turned lots of muscles into scar tissue, can't lift more than a few pounds with this arm anymore (not complaining, I'm glad i still have it!!)

This was after 265K miles of accident free biking. Doh!! I'm well over 300k now.

six months to recover before I could get back on the bike.

So I don't know it that helps or hurts but just saying, it happens, let it go and get ready for the next ride!

In the mean time, best wishes toward getting well, I work with a lot of folks who do what you do up north (I'm back working in the detroit metro area a bit south of you).

the worst part about crashing solo is.....you can't blame anyone!! (don't ask how I know that LOL)
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 2011, 10:23 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldbikin
Dont' feel like the lone ranger

I never broke a bone in my life (and I've always been VERY active, risk sports, marines, et el)...

fast forward to fall 2009, sliding sideways on a fully loaded K1200LT (with wife on back) at over 70 MPH. My right upper quadrant is garbage, broke all kinds of stuff and turned lots of muscles into scar tissue, can't lift more than a few pounds with this arm anymore (not complaining, I'm glad i still have it!!)

This was after 265K miles of accident free biking. Doh!! I'm well over 300k now.

six months to recover before I could get back on the bike.

So I don't know it that helps or hurts but just saying, it happens, let it go and get ready for the next ride!

In the mean time, best wishes toward getting well, I work with a lot of folks who do what you do up north (I'm back working in the detroit metro area a bit south of you).

the worst part about crashing solo is.....you can't blame anyone!! (don't ask how I know that LOL)
YIKES George!
In the big scheme of things my injury sounds pretty minimal....honestly couldn't imagine going down with a passenger at 70. How did your wife fare (good I hope) and does she still ride? Gotta tell you, I feel a bit better but still wish I knew what happened..
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 2011, 12:24 pm
Addict

Wife only got bruises cause she un-arsed the bike right at the beginning of the fishtail. I really should have followed her off the bike and I'd probably be in the same shape. But I rode that big ole horse into the pavement, a split second decision that bit me.

We were riding back to AZ from MI in the middle of all the fall colors (OCT), I had been bow hunting in MI and she flew up to ride the colors back.

No one to blame, came over a hill, hit a giant repair patch (tar snake), suspension was moving due to the steep hill-crest (just before the 1 mile marker to Pie Town, NM on rt 60)...torque just rolled the tire/rear end out sideways.

My advice...DO NOT think about blueberry pie while you are riding to pie town!!

and thats all I can offer. i remember the whole thing up-til I got slammed into the pavement. I was walking around all busted up, the SO was smarter and waited in the bush for EMT, heheh. I thought I was fairly ok although I knew some adrenaline would have to wear off before I really knew. I was right about that...EMT said i repeated the same thing 10 times on the ride to the hospital and I don't re that at all, yikes!! scary!!

It'll bug you for a little while but don't dwell on it. To me its sort of like dropping the bike out in public, its going to happen, used to embarass me but now I just shrug it off and smile, cause its certainly going to happen again! I had trouble keeping that big K1200LT upright sometimes with my pro-NBA 5'8" altitude with legs to match

ps...wife wants to ride again, we sat on the K1600GTL and I think I can actually handle that bike two-up even with the weak side, but I'm not sure about that just yet. shes got a convertable now and its ok, not a bike of course but it is a nice car (bmw). We're from Utica by the way, raised my kids there, wife was born/raised there.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 2011, 9:33 am Thread Starter

Sheeeeesh....Glad you are recovering nicely.
I'm walking today without a walker....still hurts like the dickens but making progress.
Doc says I get to go back to work on the 19th ...got rehab today and a couple more visits before going back.
I threw a leg over my K this morning, everything still sore...Hopefully be able to ride (street bike) before the end of the riding season here in Mi..we'll see what corporate has to say 'bout it.

Ride safe...
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 2011, 4:39 pm Thread Starter

tomorrow will be 6 weeks. haven't thrown a leg over a saddle since the crashi took the ol' girl out to fill the tank and "blow the carbon out".
felt real nice

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode