London or Paris? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 2011, 8:30 am Thread Starter
Addict

London or Paris?

We plan to visit our German friends in Liepzig again sometime next year, after I retire.

Before, we've driving down to Italy and up north to Hamburg, all that...

Next trip, we plan some visits to the western part of GE since my wife hasn't been there yet.

and, our friends want to go to London or Paris. I've heard both good and bad about both of course. I've been to both countries but not extensively nor have I been to either of these cities.

Any preferences and why? I'm thinking the girls really want to shop in Paris and the boyz really want to drink in London, so there you have it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 2011, 1:16 pm
Veteran

last trip

Last time I went over that way I was sitting next to a Frenchman, he was alone but told me his wife was Australian. He said in his heavy accented English, "I told my wife I will take you to France but I will not take you to Paris" Having been to both places I can understand his point of view. My preference is London, cepting you cannot drink their beer. It is about as palatable as brake fluid. Plus their food is crap, chips served even with Chinese.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 2011, 5:14 pm
Noob

Stay away from the cities. Go into the country side to meet the real paople. Either country. The cities are for tourists.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 2011, 8:46 am Thread Starter
Addict

Heheh, ya'll ain't helping, neither the shopping OR the drinking is good, I'm in trouble

I'm a country guy myself, although I find the old towns fasinating in many ways, history, architecture....what I'm really saying is I'm easily amused I've been all over GE, Italy (north), a bit of France and Sweden and never spent much time in the cities, just enough to see them. I usually stay in small towns. My cheapest motel ever (guest house) was 15 D.Marks around the mid-80's, that was about $7.50 US at the time.

Really though, can't beat downing a brew and brat at the entranceway of the castle before you go in and tool around. amazing. The motorcycle museum on top of the mountain, in a castle (can't re the name off hand) was supercool, they had all kinds of stuff in there.

I did drive to Strassburg from W.GE back in the 80's so I've seen some of France, just not Paris or much else.

I think this whole thing is a plot by the girls to shop in Paris myself, so I'm trying to be prepared with your help heheh.

happy holidays!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 2011, 2:13 pm
Looking for better limits...

Don't plan on DRIVING in either of your two choices there. Half the locals don't, either, for a reason.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 2011, 7:33 am Thread Starter
Addict

Much as I hate flying, the Germans already said we're flying so they must know what you know

Honestly I'd rather skip them both and just tool around GE, eating and drinking at will LOL...best part is my friend drives when we visit so I get to drink beer in the back seat. I enjoyed Italy quite a bit too, very interesting. I've never eatin' ice cream 4 times a day in my life before or after that trip It was a contest between the American and the German LOL....we tied!

The prize of course, was another ice cream.....

Drivers in GE, its funny but they won't even chew gum cause if the polizi sees it I think they can get a ticket, eating, drinking, anything but driving!!

they couldn't believe it in the USA driving around (I was doing the driving), eating, drinking, talking on the cell, what a different culture

I still think about Hamburg too, we took the harbor tour (I guess its now the 2nd largest port in the world), unreal. Walked around the city a bit and had some of the best food known to man there at a portugese restaurant with amazing people/owners running it.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 2012, 9:01 am
Addict

If you want Kamikaze thrills on a bike or like traffic queues in a car, ride/drive the Paris Peripherique on a Friday night starting at 16.30hrs!

The best time to be in Paris is when the French take their long holidays and ship out to the countryside or the Vendee for camping.

Personally, I'd leave the car parked somewhere, ride their Metro on discount tickets for a couple of days, take a trip around Eifell trifle and be romantic on Bateaux Mouches, then drive on..

London, well you'll get stung for parking and congestion charges to pay for all the economic problems. Beer can be good if you know where to go, else in the city tourist areas it will be Stella and more Stella.

......And in England, unlike France we drive on the left.

Price of gas isn't cheap either. Pick diesel for rental cars - cheaper and goes more mileage.

Angela and Nicholas are cozy these days and both countries may be speaking German by the time you get there.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 2012, 10:41 am
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxmagna
If you want Kamikaze thrills on a bike or like traffic queues in a car, ride/drive the Paris Peripherique on a Friday night starting at 16.30hrs!

:

A few years back I ended up on the Peripherique at just that time,though think it was a Monday as I had left Le-Mans that morning after the 24hr, and just fancied seeing Paris. a local on a Duc Monster set the pace and I followed, eventually I had to back off as we were touching 80-85 between the cars, bloke was mental, and me too for trying to keep up, twat.

Tim
------------------

2011 K1300GT

Last edited by voxmagna; Jan 12th, 2012 at 11:28 am.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 2012, 11:29 am
Addict

Damn, I keep hitting that edit button!

That was my experience last Summer sat in my car lane. The girls on pillion wore no ATGAT with shorty boots and bare legs up to the you know where. Now I know Paris likes to make fashion statements, but a pillion on a bike weaving about at those speeds with tunnels, overhead bridges, masses of road furniture, piers and bollards - they can keep it!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 2012, 8:09 am Thread Starter
Addict

I think that is where one of our friends got killed a long time ago in Paris, they loved that place and went all the time. He was a cardiac doc, the best. He already had kidney problems and a transplant, was getting out of the car and a bike hit him and kept going. His wife got him back to the states but he didn't last long, it just bruised him up too much. I don't have a need to drive there, I'll just watch!

I don't think we'll be renting a car or anything, probably just do a 3 day trip or so depending on how much cash the women have in their pockets. I'm sure I'll be munching coffee and pastries someplace watching the european world go by

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode