Important announcement - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 2012, 11:01 am Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Important announcement

For years we have struggled to keep these forums alive. From both a financial and technical manpower respect, the demands are constant. The costs of equipment and hosting, social management, technical management and content management are demanding of our constant attention. Try as we might we were never able to find anyone technically capable of managing Andy’s side of the communities. With the drastic changes in the economy over the last few years, both Andy and I have found it more and more difficult to find the time to manage the communities. Coupling this with reduced member and vendor subscriptions and ever increasing costs, we have found it to be more and more difficult to pay the bills and manage the technical requirements of this community on our limited budget and thinly stretched personal time. The forced move of our servers last year really taxed us, both financially and in terms of time. Andy made it clear that his personal circumstances may not allow him the time should we encounter any technical emergencies. I certainly do not have the skills to do it without his help.

Late last year after the move it became very apparent that our income from supporters were not going to be enough to cover the costs of operation. The costs and time to move our equipment from California to Houston impacted us personally at a time when neither of us were in a position to deal with it. We were also way behind in making some much needed software updates to the community. We have been trying to find the time to do this for at least two years. We have been looking for ways to augment our income through advertising, but that also would require the time to update the forum software before we could even think of banner advertising, etc. Since neither of us could devote the time needed for these upgrades, we also were looking to find a long term solution for the technical aspects of maintaining this community. Through all of this we had to keep in mind that this community was very important to us and that we had to be very careful that our choices would protect and preserve its long-term survival.

The more we looked the less satisfying our options became. We then found the perfect solution which would insure the long term survival of this community, provide the technical support team and expertise to keep the forums growing and the resources to add valuable content on a regular basis. At the end of last year we decided to transfer ownership to motorcycle.com, who own many other motorcycle communities. The folks at www.motorcycle.com have become the preeminent force in motorcycle enthusiast web communities and are a natural fit for this community. Historically they have proven to be good shepherds of similar communities, keeping the structure of the communities and continuing the same management style. They will be adding some advertising, but there will be less for registered members and even less for supporting members.

This change in ownership need not affect the community in any way. The community’s strength is in its members - the change in ownership will only enhance the future stability of the services, and should not affect in any way how the community is managed. The real value of this transition is that there is a large and competent team in place to keep the machine going, instead of just a couple of guys with precious little free time. I plan to continue my role as an administrator and hope that all the other moderators and administrators continue on.

Click
here to become a Supporting Member of K-Bikes.com

Randy Prade,
Aurora, CO

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 2012, 11:08 am
Administrator

Garage
Hi Everyone,

My name is Helena and I work for Motorcycle.com, as you have read above we are now the proud owners of K-Bikes.com. I would like to start out with letting you all know that we are not here to close this site or change this community; we are here to help improve the functionality of the site and help it grow to a new level. We have a great team of tech support that is here to fix any functional issues you have with the site, and help keep the site updated and working. I am here whenever you need help with anything, or if you have a question or concern.

With that I would like you all to know that this is still YOUR community and we are here to work with the community and the existing staff to keep this site a place for you to come and feel at home.

Feel free to post your concerns or questions below or you can PM me any time, you may also email me at [email protected].

Thank you everyone.
Helena
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 2012, 2:28 pm
Addict-oholic

Smile

To Randy, Andy, and all the support people:
Your work and dedication makes this the best website, and the only web forum, I visit almost daily. I have learned so much about motorcycling, that I have purchased my last 2 bikes because of this forum and the helpful members.
Let's keep this site as good for the future through the new owners. As usual, I will continue to support with my premium membership as it renews.

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 2012, 10:40 pm
JCW
contributor

I'm glad you guys found a way to keep things going!
Thanks for all your work.

'06 K1200R- in pieces
'73 Honda CB500F- slow but fun.
'77 Yamaha XS 750 triple- kinda
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 2012, 7:28 am
Addict

thats why i'm a supporter ,the info here is priceless the people even better ,and change is alway's needed for progress!!!

i've spent most my money on bike's boat's and broad's the rest i've wasted..
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 2012, 11:51 am
Veteran

I like the Blue....obviously!

But question on that I don't seem to get reminders or such as to the "Billed Annually". Old(er) guys forget and I seem to recall being overdue last time and the blue stayed up.

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 2012, 12:23 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

In your user CP thjere is a "Paid Subscriptions" entry near the bottom on the left. When you click on that it will show you the available subscriptions and should show your active subscription at the top. Your subscription currently shows to be good through mid June. You should also get an email reminder, but unfortunately many people have opted out of emails or the ones we send are lost in spam filters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by H96669

I like the Blue....obviously!

But question on that I don't seem to get reminders or such as to the "Billed Annually". Old(er) guys forget and I seem to recall being overdue last time and the blue stayed up.

Click
here to become a Supporting Member of K-Bikes.com

Randy Prade,
Aurora, CO

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 2012, 12:33 pm
Riding in company

So when do the ads start?

BillA
Jersey Shore
K1200RS '04
BSA Victor '68ish
Club Car golf cart '92
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 2012, 12:58 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy
In your user CP thjere is a "Paid Subscriptions" entry near the bottom on the left. When you click on that it will show you the available subscriptions and should show your active subscription at the top. Your subscription currently shows to be good through mid June. You should also get an email reminder, but unfortunately many people have opted out of emails or the ones we send are lost in spam filters.

Thanks...yes the spam filter, I like mine otherwise that was 15-20 a day at work on slow download. Took forever just opening Outlook Express. Want money/girls/cheap drugs Eh!.....

But I got to say, you guys did a fine job getting us rid of the Spam here.I hope it continues with the new owners.

I like this:

"They will be adding some advertising, but there will be less for registered members and even less for supporting members. "

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 2012, 3:13 pm
Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillA
So when do the ads start?

If your a registered user then you don't have to worry about this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode