warning - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 2012, 12:35 am Thread Starter
Veteran

warning

I refer to my previous post regarding the oil lines running from the base of the motor to the oil cooler at the head. I suggested that this may be a design fault. After pulling the pipes off the bike I had the aluminum pipe welded, cost $20. I have now found other places where the other pipe was rubbing against metal, a crack was being created. I will split rubber pipe and glue it on as protection, plus I will use plastic ties to secure the pipes. I recommend that riders check these pipes before embarking on any lengthy ride. If I had not seen the puddle of oil at home I may well have blown the motor through no fault of mine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 2012, 10:52 am
Veteran

Yes , I was just looking at that yesterday, the outboard pipe can even rub against the left radiator if not installed correctly, there is about 1/8" clearance on my bike, it will get "rubber hosed". May not look like it is rubbing at standstill but different story with the air pushing against all that at speed.

They can also rub against the bellypan at speed, I was getting some wear marks, had to put some stick-on foam on the belly pan to prevent that.

Rubbing against the engine, depends a lot on the orientation of the banjos, I now have at least 1/2" clearance, don't remember what was there from OEM but I had to change the orientation slightly anyway when I installed my oil pressure gauge. No relying on the idiot light for this guy, comes on at 12-15 PSI on an engine that runs at 70-75, if I bust a line I should know pretty quick before wrecking my engine.

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 2012, 3:42 am Thread Starter
Veteran

hose

Regarding the pipe contacting the radiator. I observed that, it was touching. I loosened the screws on the plastic , the part that holds the retaining clips for the pipes. I then jammed a screwdriver between the pipe and the radiator. I then re tightened the screws. No problems. There is room for movement there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 2012, 10:11 am
Addict

I split 1/2" car heater hose years ago and put that over parts of my KRS oil cooler lines.

I was probing about with a mechanics stethoscope to nail some engine vibrations and found a point where the lines if not properly set in their clamps, could touch the frame and or plastics and induce vibration.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode