guns - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 2012, 3:29 pm Thread Starter
Noob

guns

Quell my curiosity. What is the recommended firearm to pack when riding in the USA today? Have not seen many posts on such lately??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 2012, 4:01 pm
Sooper Dooper Moderator

You may not get many answers on this question right now… There have been a couple of tragic shootings lately, and there’s a national discourse going on about gun control and the need for more than the 20,000 laws already on the books. Coming from the Land of Oz as you do, the question is almost sure to appear timed to be sarcastic.

But if you’re serious, there’s not really a way to answer your question anyway. There is almost no state or locality in the USA where it is legal to carry a concealed firearm without a permit, and the permits are hard to come by. Those who carry legally (or those who choose to defy the law and pack anyway), have a variety of reasons for choosing the specific firearm they carry. You’d get a different recommendation from everyone you asked.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 2012, 10:09 pm
JCW
contributor

Illinois has no provision for conceal or open carry whatsoever. Permit or not. Legislation was just starting before the tragedy in Connecticut. Now, I have no doubt that it will be stalled indefinitely.

'06 K1200R- in pieces
'73 Honda CB500F- slow but fun.
'77 Yamaha XS 750 triple- kinda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 2012, 11:20 am

I'm going to assume you mean a handgun. There is currently NO federal permit in place, so every state has its own laws regarding owning and carrying a handgun. Technically you can transport a handgun through most states as long as your gun is unladed and locked in a separate location from the ammunition.

I have a New York State CC (carry concealed) permit which is among one of the most thorough permit processes to go through. Unfortunately since New York state doesn't recognize any other state's CC permit, our permit is not recognized anywhere else either.

Recently I applied for a Utah and Florida non-resident CC permit so when I get them there is reciprocity in 39 states plus New York which leaves a few states that I will be unable to carry a firearm loaded for personal protection (California. Connecticut, Hawaii, Illinois, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, Oregon and Rhode Island).

With that said you would be well advised as a non US citizen from even thinking about traveling with a firearm unless under some diplomatic approval.

My choice of firearm is along the same vein as my motorcycle and camera - German. Walther P5 and Walther PPK/S.

"CAN YOU SEE ME NOW?"
Jeff Guntert - Schenectady, NY
2008 K1200GT
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 2012, 1:28 pm Thread Starter
Noob

interesting

Since the buy back scheme here was implemented there has been a marked decrease in the fatalities caused by firearms. Obviously the scheme was successful and I see it starting off in places like Cal. I can still lose a tear or two when I think of those little kids over there. That said I admit to being a gun nut and recently obtained a hand gun licence. To get it the checks and tests were more thorough and prolonged than obtaining a passport or car licence. I have no intention of carrying a firearm in the US, though I have been known to annoy a few ground squirrels with a lovely S&W .22 in AZ. Made me wonder at the time when in a US police car I was shown how to unlock the shottie if the need arose. I thought to myself that I have no status here and wondered why my companions did not think of it. But of course if the shit hit the fan it is all about reaction not deliberation.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 2012, 4:11 pm
Sooper Dooper Moderator

Bob, here is an excerpt from an email I got from two different people (not from Ed Chenel). The email does not come with any way to check the validity of the facts and figures, nor even a way to confirm with Mr. Chenel that he exists, so I offer this just for the sake of discussion:

Hi Yanks, I thought you all would like to see the real figures from Down Under.

It has now been 12 months since gun owners in Australia were forced by a new law to surrender 640,381 personal firearms to be destroyed by our own government, a program costing Australia taxpayers more than $500 million dollars.

The first year results are now in:
Australia-wide, homicides are up 6.2 percent,
Australia-wide, assaults are up 9.6 percent;
Australia-wide, armed robberies are up 44 percent (yes, 44 percent)!

In the state of Victoria alone, homicides with firearms are now up 300 percent. (Note that while the law-abiding citizens turned them in, the criminals did not and criminals still possess their guns!)

While figures over the previous 25 years showed a steady decrease in armed robbery with firearms, this has changed drastically upward in the past 12 months, since the criminals now are guaranteed that their prey is unarmed.

There has also been a dramatic increase in break-ins and assaults of the elderly, while the resident is at home.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 2012, 5:48 pm
Addict

guns dont kill people .people kill people!!! when traveling long distance's i carry a 25 mag ,i keep the clip seperate and never loaded but have it just in case...

i've spent most my money on bike's boat's and broad's the rest i've wasted..
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 2012, 5:56 pm

WOW! SHOCKER!!! ***NOT*** As my grandfather used to say - Locks are for honest people... Criminals will always find a way to obtain a gun while law abiding citizens are stripped of their right to self protection...

Did you guys see the piece that the NY Journal did using the FOIA (Freedom of Information Act) and published the names and addresses of people in downstate New York that have pistol permits? Asshats!

http://newsone.com/2112677/new-york-...atabase-story/

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckwilmot
Bob, here is an excerpt from an email I got from two different people (not from Ed Chenel). The email does not come with any way to check the validity of the facts and figures, nor even a way to confirm with Mr. Chenel that he exists, so I offer this just for the sake of discussion:

Hi Yanks, I thought you all would like to see the real figures from Down Under.

It has now been 12 months since gun owners in Australia were forced by a new law to surrender 640,381 personal firearms to be destroyed by our own government, a program costing Australia taxpayers more than $500 million dollars.

The first year results are now in:
Australia-wide, homicides are up 6.2 percent,
Australia-wide, assaults are up 9.6 percent;
Australia-wide, armed robberies are up 44 percent (yes, 44 percent)!

In the state of Victoria alone, homicides with firearms are now up 300 percent. (Note that while the law-abiding citizens turned them in, the criminals did not and criminals still possess their guns!)

While figures over the previous 25 years showed a steady decrease in armed robbery with firearms, this has changed drastically upward in the past 12 months, since the criminals now are guaranteed that their prey is unarmed.

There has also been a dramatic increase in break-ins and assaults of the elderly, while the resident is at home.

"CAN YOU SEE ME NOW?"
Jeff Guntert - Schenectady, NY
2008 K1200GT
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 2012, 10:28 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Ed Chenel??

Chuck I bet you wont find any cop in Oz with such a name. And re the figures? Check Australian Statistics and you will find the reverse is true. You may however find that Ed (never met any one in Oz who answers to Ed, they change it to Ted here) Chenel rates a mention on Snopes.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 2012, 1:44 am
Sooper Dooper Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandicoot
Chenel rates a mention on Snopes.
Saw that later. It talks about how the stats are a mix of true and untrue, and goes on to talk about how you can prove anything with stats, depending upon the context. But I've found that even Snopes is biased to the left sometimes.

I think I perceive that we are on opposite sides of this discussion, but it's refreshing to have it in a gentlemanly manner. You are convinced that the gun ban worked in your country, and I am just as convinced that it will not work in mine.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode