Disastrous Experience with Federal Motorcycle Transport - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 2015, 5:09 pm Thread Starter

Angry Disastrous Experience with Federal Motorcycle Transport

I've ridden my 2003 K1200GT for 12 years. I wanted to try something a bit newer and lighter. I purchased a hard to find new 2016 R1200RS from FrontLine Eurosports, my favorite BMW dealer, in Salem, Virginia and had the bike shipped to my home in California. None of the California dealers had any R1200Rs models available. After researching companies that specialized in transporting motorcycles, I contracted with Federal Motorcycle Transport in Illinois. They had great reviews, their website looked legit. They charged $300 more than the shipper recommended by my BMW dealer. I took out the maximum transport insurance to cover the $22k price paid for the bike. Total fees came to $799. The new bike was picked up on July 15 and 22 long days later, a truck pulls up to my garage. It was promised to me on the phone a week earlier than the competition but the fine print in the contract allowed for unforeseen delays. The unforeseen delay was the bike sitting in a San Jose wear house for almost a week waiting for the next truck to drive to Humboldt County. The bike was on a wooden platen along with a refrigerator and trash in the truck from other deliveries. Nothing like the website image of a pristine truck with bikes neatly aligned inside.

Here's the worst part: during transport, something heavy fell on the front end of the bike damaging the front fairing, breaking the twin aluminum windshield support mounts right off, scratching the windshield along with damage to the left rear pannier. It may not be safe to ride it until I can get it to the closest BMW dealer 4 hours north in Medford, Oregon for a repair estimate and repaired. Hopefully BMW has structural parts available in the U.S. for this new model.

Insult to injury: CRST, the parent trucking organization, agreed to transport the bike to the closest BMW dealer in Medford, Oregon. Are you ready: they can't pick it up for another week, then the truck will take it 12 hours south to east of Los Angeles to their wear house where it will sit until they can get a truck to drive it back north 15 hours to Medford. As a customer that expected great service, it has been one disaster after another. I would not recommend Federal Motorcycle Transport to ship anything. If I get the bike to Oregon, they still have to approve the repair. I'm generally very easy to deal with but I've run out of patience with a company that can't deliver on its promises. I'm open to suggestions.

Please share this with your friends.

Richard Clompus
Trinidad, CA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 2015, 6:33 pm

One suggestion...dump them...lawyer up...and I would grab the bike and tie it to a u haul and get it to BMW in Oregon myself.
Fix it then start the process of a suit..

Hacks....

kbikeinbc

07 Kgt
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 2015, 12:58 pm Thread Starter

Smile Repairs Made, Now enjoying the R1200RS

Well, I wanted to share that I finally got the bike repaired with the help of Hansen's BMW shop in Medford, Oregon. They are a class act. The parent company of Federal Motorcycle Transport came through with payment for the repair and an apology. As much as I would have preferred an uneventful delivery of my bike from across the country, it is nice to know that when damage occurred, the transportation company did the right thing and took care of the fees to repair the bike. They also reimbursed me for transporting the bike to the dealer for repair. Case closed. Now I'm enjoying riding daily and looking forward to adding all the farkles that belong on a BMW motorcycle. After riding a 2003 K1200GT for 12 years, I now have a lighter and almost as fast bike. It doesn't have the growl of the 4 cylinder K bike, but it sure is responsive. The Rides Mode Pro and speed shifter have proven to be a technological advantage over Ohlin shocks in a heavier bike. I started riding BMW's with a R1100RT and now I've come full circle back to an R bike. I couldn't be happier.

Ride safe,
Richard

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode