Just got a Reckless Driving Ticket in VA - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 2006, 11:09 am Thread Starter
Just saying hey

Just got a Reckless Driving Ticket in VA

Oh no, I just got a Reckless Driving ticket in Virginia, USA. It was totally BS. I sped up to get out of harms way from a truck that was merging over to my left. The "motorcycle" cop saw the entire thing and pulled me over. He acknowledged that he saw everything, but I still broke the law and the merging traffic would have to yield to me. I told him that I couldn't take that chance basing my life on someone else's decisions. I can't believe this guy has a motorcycle. The frackin' [email protected]!!! Has anyone had a reckless driving ticket? Now I'm looking at jail time. BTW, I was "clocked" at 94 in a 65mph zone.

Many are called to ride...
Few stick around til tomorrow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 2006, 12:24 pm
no power in the 'verse can stop me

Quote:
Originally Posted by xftbllplyr
Has anyone had a reckless driving ticket? Now I'm looking at jail time. BTW, I was "clocked" at 94 in a 65mph zone.
It's my understanding that 20 over is automatically reckless op in Va.

You'd best be looking for a lawyer.

tim-----still on the right side of the frostline

you can't stop the signal
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 2006, 1:27 pm Thread Starter
Just saying hey

Quote:
Originally Posted by shook sez
It's my understanding that 20 over is automatically reckless op in Va.

You'd best be looking for a lawyer.
I solicited an attorney, and he is not trying to hear me and my situation. He just wants me to cut a deal for a restricted license to and from work.

I have a +4 driving record. No parking or moving violation in my 5 years in VA. Aggg, this sucks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 2006, 2:42 pm
Noob

Smile

Dear Sir: I am very sorry to read about your recent arrest for driving your wonderful BMW motorcycle 90 + mph in a 60 zone. In order to aid what lettle legal defense you have and to impress the Judge of your sincerity of complying with the Laws of the Commonwealth, please consider donating your BMW motorcycle to me! (I really need a nice BMW to be the envy of my friends and would use it to go back and forth to work.) Also, you could tell the Judge that in order to show your cooperation with his honorable court and to rectify your behavior, you have donated your BMW to someone who really appreciates fine German Motorcycle Engineering and will operate it safely and in accordance with the laws of the Commonewealth. Also, I will gladly come to your trial and testify to your intention of rectifying your errant behavior by donating your BMW to a worthy party! Also, I will ask the judge to reduce or suspend your sentence to allow you to attend safe driving school and to reduce the sentence to community service in lieu of jail time. I suggest that you give my offer serious consideration as it does not sound like your lawyer has prepared much of a defense to keeping you from having an extended vacation at one of the Commonwealth's correctional centers. ( That truck b.s. will not fly in court and will only make the Judge p.o.ed at you.) Most jails, (correctional centers) in Virginia do have good food. Also, be prepared to make a very generous contribution to the Governor's retirement fund. - wastedspark
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 2006, 3:09 pm
Addict

Find another attorney! Go to traffic court and see which attorneys are liked in your ticket/judge division. There are attorneys that specialize in traffic crimes, mostly drunk driving, but other stuff too. Because you were not involved in an accident the prosecutor might not be so hard on you.

Thanks
Robert

2014 R1200RT Ebony Black--(deep Burgundy)
2012 R1200RT Tri-Color (traded for 2014 R1200RT see above)
2012 R1200RT Tri-Color (Traded for exact same bike, see above)
2004 R1100SA "Piedmont Red Metallic" (Traded)
2002 K1200RS BLACK (Traded for RT)
2000 FLTRSEI "Screamin Eagle, Triple Red" Gone but not forgotten.
1999 FXR3 "Green Flame" In the Garage
1998 K1200RS "Taxi" (sold)
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 2006, 4:23 pm
Addict

I feel your pain.

92 in a 60. $300 plus in fines plus another $50 in traffic school.

No one cares what we were doing while going that fast, moving to avoid certain death, etc. It's not about safety, it's about R E V E N U E.

No you are are their mercy. Find one of theirs to work against the system.

Best of LUck,

Gravity
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 2006, 7:15 pm
ROB
We're zoned for what ? cool !

Tell 'em how you really feel.

Hey wastedspark, you are so full of the milk of human kindness, among other things. Never got a ticket, eh? I've gotten so many that my pulse rate never rises above 55. But it's a situation to be commiserated with, not ridiculed. So cut the guy some slack; 90 is just a twist of the wrist away.

1990 K75S
2009 R1200GS
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 2006, 8:29 pm
Veteran

call the prosecutor and talk ....pay the fine for the speeding portion and agree to take a defensive driving course......you should be "GOOD TO GO".....my step son was clocked going 100 + in a 30 in town...out ran the cop.....hide away for a couple of hours....then he rode to the station and turned himself in.....he talked to the pa and had to give up his endorsement for 30 days pay the speeding fine and take a $20.00 driving course........sometimes just talking to the right person can get you out of a big mess.....get a lawyer and there going to you.....just talk to th pa first...then if he wont agree...then get a f#@$%^ ass$%^& lawyer.... $$$$$
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 2006, 10:02 pm
Rider Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by xftbllplyr
...I just got a Reckless Driving ticket in Virginia, USA. ...

I sped up to get out of harms way from a truck that was merging over to my left. ....

The "motorcycle" cop saw the entire thing and pulled me over. He acknowledged that he saw everything, but I still broke the law and the merging traffic would have to yield to me...

I told him that I couldn't take that chance basing my life on someone else's decisions....

I was "clocked" at 94 in a 65mph zone.
I feel your pain.

1-Speed, even by statute does not necessarily mean "reckless". HERE is a case you should get the transcripts for use in court.

2-Get an attorney.

3-Get a video camera and video your actions in a similar maneuver....65 mph, burst to 94... and then off throttle back to 65 mph. Demo in the courtroom with the video how quick, safe and "self defending" the action was.

Bill "Omaha"

"Life may have begun at 44, but it didn't get thrilling until I shot past 100"

'06 K1200R "Wolfgang" White Aluminum Metallic, FB 6/7/05
'04 K1200LT "Dieter" Titan Silver, FB 4/23/04
RCB, AMA, BMWMOA, Booze Brother "in training"
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 2006, 10:18 am Thread Starter
Just saying hey

I would like to thank everyone for their words of wisdom, even you wasted
I am talking to another attorney and this is what task he has given me.

1. Get my spedometer calibrated. (Hopefully my speedometer is off my 20mph, but I seriously doubt it.

2. Take a MSF class, even though I've had my license for over 15 years with no moving violations.

3. Take a defensive driving class sponsored by the state.

4. Get a copy of my driving record from the DMV

5. PRAY!!! (I added that one)

I'll keep everyone abreast because if there is any sort of Justice, I'll let everyone know what course of action they can take if it happens to you.

Again thanks for the input.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode