Any fellow Masons/Shriners here? Chime in - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 2007, 9:59 pm Thread Starter

Any fellow Masons/Shriners here? Chime in

Dover Lodge #489 (OH) checking in....also, Al Koran Temple...

F

05LT
07GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 2007, 10:01 pm

My uncle is a Mason in Edmonton, Alberta. Does that count?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 2007, 10:07 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathogen7
My uncle is a Mason in Edmonton, Alberta. Does that count?
Mason by association....I like it!

F

05LT
07GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 2007, 2:24 am
Addict

Question Shriner?

I've seen video of shriners (wearing their little caps and riding white Harleys doing demonstration rides). I have no idea what the connection is, as I'm an Aussie. What exactly is a Shriner for those of us of non US persuasion?
When I was last in the US with my wife, I was going to pull into the little Returned Services clubs you have over there (sorry, can't remember what you call them? Something league? or legion?) but I wasn't sure if we would be welcomed. Didn't know if it was a closed shop or not and if other service personnel were welcome for a beer.

Best wishes.

Ken.

Nth Queensland
AUSTRALIA

2005 K1200S
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 2007, 8:12 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by baytown
I've seen video of shriners (wearing their little caps and riding white Harleys doing demonstration rides). I have no idea what the connection is, as I'm an Aussie. What exactly is a Shriner for those of us of non US persuasion?
When I was last in the US with my wife, I was going to pull into the little Returned Services clubs you have over there (sorry, can't remember what you call them? Something league? or legion?) but I wasn't sure if we would be welcomed. Didn't know if it was a closed shop or not and if other service personnel were welcome for a beer.

Best wishes.

Ken.
Ken,

Freemasons operate many of the world's greatest charitable organizations. The best known is the Shriners with their circuses, their colorful parades and their work on behalf of physically challenged children and the 22 Shriners Childrens Hospitals. Less known is that each Shriner must be a Freemason before being becoming a Shriner.

What is a Shrine Mason?

Shriners, or Shrine Masons, belong to the Ancient Arabic Order of the Nobles of the Mystic Shrine for North America (A.A.O.N.M.S.). The Shrine is an international fraternity of approximately 500,000 members who belong to Shrine Center throughout the United States, Canada, Mexico, and The Republic of Panama. Founded in New York City in 1872 the organization is composed Master Masons.

The Shrine is best-known for its colorful parades, its distinctive red fez, and its official philanthropy, Shriners Hospitals for Children, which is often called "the heart and soul of the Shrine." Principles of Freemasonry -- Brotherly Love, Relief and Truth.

Members of the Ancient Arabic Order Nobles of the Mystic Shrine for North America are members of the Masonic Order and adhere to the principles of Freemasonry -- Brotherly Love, Relief and Truth.

Freemasonry dates back hundreds of years to when stonemasons and other craftsmen on building projects gathered in shelter houses or lodges. Through the years these gatherings changed in many ways until formal Masonic lodges emerged, with members bound together not by trade, but by their own wishes to be fraternal brothers. There is no higher degree in Freemasonry than that of Master Mason (the Third Degree).

Shriner are distinguished by an enjoyment of life in the interest of philanthropy. With almost 500,000 members the organization has a buoyant philosophy which has been expressed as "Pleasure without intemperance, hospitality without rudeness and jollity without coarseness."

They knew they needed an appealing theme for their new Order, so they chose the Arabic (near East) theme. The most noticeable symbol of Shrinedom is the distinctive red fez that all Shriners wear at official function. Shriners are men who enjoy life. They enjoy parades, trips, circuses, dances, dinners, sporting events and other social occasions together. Furthermore, Shriners support what has become known as the "World's Greatest Philanthropy", Shriners Hospitals for Children. Through fellowship and philanthropy, Shrinedom strengthens the soul and adds inner-meaning to daily life. It thus spreads a glow of joy through one's entire family. Men from all walks of life and all levels of income find fun, fellowship and relaxation in their individual Shrine Temples and its activities. There are also regional Shrine Clubs in many communities, family picnics, dances and scheduled trips to near and far -- just to mention a few of the activities available. For the Noble desiring even more activity, there are various Units that he can join, such as: Cibara Motor Corp., Drum & Bugle Corps, Oriental Bands, Motor Patrols, Horse Patrols, and Clown units. Every effort is made to be sure a Noble has a variety of activities from which he may choose.

There are 191 Shrine Temples located in the United States, Canada, Mexico and the Republic of Panama. And there are informal Shrine Clubs located all around the world.

Thought this summed it up best.

Cheers

F

05LT
07GT
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 2007, 10:50 am

The USA branch is one of the newest branches of Masons.....
Freemasonary started over two millinia ago in europe and the middle east.... At one time they had great power here in the USA, but like all power it corupted some and they were exposed to unwanted publicity...

All in all its a good gang that helps kids through their darkest hours......................Pete
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 2007, 11:27 am
Sooper Dooper Moderator

Anaheim Lodge #207 here

Ken, I think you're probably talking about the American Legion. There is also the VFW... Veterans of Foreign Wars. I know some of those guys although I'm not a member, and my take on it is if you showed up and introduced yourself, you'd be telling war stories and drinking beer all afternoon, and never take your wallet out of your pocket.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 2007, 5:09 pm
Addict

Thumbs up

G'day Chuck, Florian and Pete.
Thanks for the great info on these groups. Yep, it was the American Legion I was thinking of.
Next time I'm passing through some little town in the US and come across one of their club rooms open, I'll call in. Keep my wallet in my pocket??? I'm there!
We have a group called the Returned Servicemans League here in Oz. The were a BIg organisation looking after veterans, and a place you could get away from the masses for a beer with like minded people. Due to the passing of veterans from the major conflicts, the RSL has devolved into a Poker Machine venue. The still offer good support to service personnel in the back ground though.

Best wishes fellas.

Ken.

Nth Queensland
AUSTRALIA

2005 K1200S
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old May 25th, 2007, 12:03 am

Florian,

Stonington Lodge, Amherst. Still working on it. FC at this point.

Scott
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 2011, 11:15 pm
Noob

MM - Senior Deason - Pacific Lodge #16

AF&AM

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode