BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

R.i.p 1200gt

6K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  Dadicool59 
#1 · (Edited)
R.i.p. 1200gt

Some of you may have seen my last post re an unfortunate rear ender I received while stationary at a stop sign a few weeks ago.

Well the Insurance assessor finally got to the dealer yesterday and called me today to pronounce her fatally wounded and on her way to the damaged vehicle auctions.

I had an absolute truckload of problems with this bike over the years but forgot about them every time I threw my leg over her and hit the starter.

We shared some really exhilarating moments together and some beautiful ones too.

Good bye old girl R.I.P. :(

Attachments

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
knutk said:
No offense, but this reminds me about a friend of mine describing his wife :snowlaff:
None taken, I found her exactly the same. By the way, can you get your friend to fix that broken tile in his shower? I keep catching my big toe on it. :spank1:

#5 ·
K1300GT A Great Rebound Affair!

Dude, if you miss your K1200, get you a shiny new K1300. She'll take you back and warm your heart as well as transport you forward to new and rapturous adventures!! Leave that monster K1600 alone! Just my 2 cents....Doctor Ron

#7 ·
Dadi.....sorry to read it. Let us know what you end up with. Freakin' hippies! ;)

#9 ·
Dadicool59 said:
Some of you may have seen my last post re an unfortunate rear ender I received while stationary at a stop sign a few weeks ago.

Well the Insurance assessor finally got to the dealer yesterday and called me today to pronounce her fatally wounded and on her way to the damaged vehicle auctions.

I had an absolute truckload of problems with this bike over the years but forgot about them every time I threw my leg over her and hit the starter.

We shared some really exhilarating moments together and some beautiful ones too.

Good bye old girl R.I.P. :(
Sad news. Please accept my condolences. What do you plan to do next?

#10 ·
XMagnaRider said:
Sad news. Please accept my condolences. What do you plan to do next?
Thank you all for your kind thoughts.

At this stage i will wait until the new year and get a 2011 build of whatever I buy.

I am very unlikely to go the 1300 route as they are just too similar and after nearly 4 years I would like something different. Although I think that they will be keenly priced in run out.

I wont be going down the 1600 road at this stage as the weight puts me off a little and I dont intend to sign up as a BMW beta tester 2 bikes in a row.

The most likely option for me at this stage is a new twin cam R1200RT and over the next couple of years I will watch with interest all reports on the 1600 as well as what BMW do to fill the hole that the 1300 leaves.

#12 ·
K1200gt Rip !

Yikes ! Daddi bad news !
At least you are OK ! Very sorry to hear.
Am also looking at another bike to replace the R1200GS. Do not think you will have much luck finding a K1300GT new. Was chasing one at Southbank BMW and they sold it and another one in a week or so.Have watched every video and read everything on the K1600GT.Sounds great except for a few things.Primary one is weight!Is going to be fat and heavy doubt it will be as zippy as the K12/13GT ?BMW apparently have some of the runout K1300GT's with the high screen,top box and blue decals(?).Have asked for a change over price but no reply? Maybe selling to many bikes.
Note a few K1300GT's on bike point from QLD not much from Victoria.
Anyhow good luck with your new bike,will be half the fun taking them all for a test ride !
cheers Andrew
R1200GS (for now)

#13 ·
kbmwrs said:
Why not get a used 12/1300GT.....that some-one has already sorted out?
Mainly because that is what I just had and when an opportunity comes up to do something new/different I figure why not.

I loved the bike, absolutely hated the gearbox but learned to live with it.

Used K1300/1200's will be around for a while and there are plenty for sale with low K's so if I hate the RT I can always go back but variety is the spice and I figure a change will be interesting for a while.

If Honda did something to replace the ST1300 with their new VFR platform I would also be very keen to live with one of those too.

#15 ·
asquires said:
Hi Andrew well think you are correct they are going to leave a big hole in the range.Just out of interest.
R1200GS 230Kg
R1200RT 260Kg
K1300GT 288 Kg
K1600GT 319 Kg
big difference between the R12's K13 and the K16 !
cheers Andrew
R1200GS
Yeah Andrew, Ive had a Harley so I know what weight is like.

I had an R1200GSA for a while in 09 but had to sell it with the boat and everything else to help fund the redundancy payout for the ex minister for war.

I really enjoyed riding it. I did a run from up here down to and around Tassie in 09 on it and it was a great rig so Im cool with the old andiluvian steam engine.

Like I said, I could do the 1300 thing maybe but I dont feel like shelling out $10k extra to get on to a bike that is pretty much the same as what ive had for 4 years.

I am lucky enough to have had the old girl insured for agreed value which i set 3 years ago so it will make whatever I do a lot easier on the pocket.

Looking at Bikesales.com i could probably get a low kilometer 08 GT and pocket $4-5k but ive got the bug for a new bike.

#16 ·
Hi Andrew

Have you got that hippy''s address? I need to go down the same route (joking) The change over on the 1200 is going to be a bitch. Still it's only money, after all, and as they say you can't take it with you.

Simply cannot believe you are considering 1923 technology when an all new, all conquering and guaranteed glitch free beemer is just around the corner. Even if it does have poxy switch gear I am a believer and keen to be a beta tester. Joking aside that R1200 is a sweet ride and a nice looking bit of gear.

We have the annual toy run on tomorrow so I better go and give the old girl a bit of as tidy up.

Cheers

#17 ·
1923 technology

Hi Westridge, well I am a bit of a BMW desperado.
Love BMW's and have had a few , most of the good ones but not a R1200RT (yet). Glad to hear you have moved back to Tassie? best roads curves etc,pays to be the swinging vote in the senate?
Well the NEW ? technology adds a few KG to the total score.
90 Kg more than my R1200GS !!!!90 KG ! yikes an extra pillion ?
31 Kg more than my K1300GT that I thought was to heavy? Maybe I am just a K1300S type of guy??
Trouble is my license needs a R1200GS! The squirt thru the corners was a walking for 6 months term?
cheers Andrew
on his reliable and SLOW R1200GS
(for now)

#20 ·
Dadi,

I test rode a 1200RT in 2007. Liked it very much but coming from an ST1300 at the time it felt a bit underpowered. I passed on the RT at that time and ultimately got the GT though I really wanted an RT with the GT motor.

This fall I picked up an '10 R1200RT. I was pleasantly surprised to find it much more lively than what I had ridden on 2007. Power curves will show little difference between the single and dual cam motors and many folks with many more miles on both the single and dual cam R motors than I have will say the difference is small but for me the new motor feels lively instead of lacking as the other motor did when I tested it. How a few more HP and few more foot pounds of torque can make a bike of this size seem lively is not something I can logically explain but for me that is what I feel.

I only had a chance to put about 100 miles on the new RT before putting it to bed for the winter but really appreciated the quicker handling and lighter feel of the bike compared to the GT. I still have the GT and like that very much as well and look forward to getting to know the RT better when spring rolls around.

With all of the documented challenges BMW has had across the product range I was hesitant to grab another BMW but I have a hard time not getting the factory cruise and love the ESA. Multistrada made my short list but I have gotten spoiled with cruise control and hated to give it up.

Hope this helps!

Dadicool59 said:
Thank you all for your kind thoughts.

At this stage i will wait until the new year and get a 2011 build of whatever I buy.

I am very unlikely to go the 1300 route as they are just too similar and after nearly 4 years I would like something different. Although I think that they will be keenly priced in run out.

I wont be going down the 1600 road at this stage as the weight puts me off a little and I dont intend to sign up as a BMW beta tester 2 bikes in a row.

The most likely option for me at this stage is a new twin cam R1200RT and over the next couple of years I will watch with interest all reports on the 1600 as well as what BMW do to fill the hole that the 1300 leaves.

#21 ·
doc52 said:
Triumph's big Twin sounds like a real winner also...give it a test ride before signing on the bottom line for another Boxer, less $$ and a LOT of BIKE there. -Dr Ron :teeth
Hey Doc.

They are a nice looking cruiser but i still enjoy some prolapse disc issues that i earned in my formative years when still playing rugby.

I only ride for leisure and a typical day out for me would be around 400klms. I try and get away at least once a year somewhere for a couple of weeks which usualy involves 5-6000ks.

In that cruiser legs forward position I would be snacking on Ibuprofin after about 100ks which was the main reason I sold my Harley after only 5000ks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.