post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 2005, 11:18 am Thread Starter

Motorcycle Sales in the U.S.

Are we becoming mainstream?

Miles

<

Motorcycle and Scooter Sales Soar This Summer
Monday October 17, 11:29 am ET
Two-Wheelers on Track for 13th Straight Year of Growth

IRVINE, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Oct. 17, 2005--Motorcycle and scooter sales jumped even higher this summer sales season than during a strong 2004, further demonstrating America's growing passion for two-wheeling. Among 12 of the leading brands, according to Motorcycle Industry Council statistics, sales of on-highway models for the third quarter of the year are up 16 percent compared to the same period in 2004. From July through September, scooter sales among these brands climbed 65 percent.
Sales are on track to eclipse the one-million mark for the third straight year, again reaching levels last seen three decades ago. At a time when gasoline prices are topping $3 per gallon nationwide, motorcycle sales are ready to go up for the 13th consecutive year.

"Motorcycle sales have been on the rise for more than a decade, through economic times both high and low," said Tim Buche, president of the Motorcycle Industry Council. "While there's no study or survey that directly correlates increased fuel prices with the popularity of two-wheelers, we do know that dealerships, motorcyclists and scooterists are fielding more questions from other motorists about what kind of mileage they're getting. There are a lot of great reasons to ride and better fuel economy only adds to the positives."

The MIC recognizes 1973 as the high point for annual motorcycle sales, when Americans purchased more than 1.5 million bikes. Sales in 1979 topped the one-million mark, but tapered during the 1980s and early 1990s. Motorcycling rebounded in 1993 and the numbers have grown every year since then.

1992 - 278,000 1999 - 546,000
1993 - 293,000 2000 - 710,000
1994 - 306,000 2001 - 850,000
1995 - 309,000 2002 - 936,000
1996 - 330,000 2003 - 1,001,000
1997 - 356,000 2004 - 1,063,000
1998 - 432,000

U.S. New Unit Motorcycle Sales. Source: Motorcycle Industry Council

"More and more Americans are discovering what motorcyclists have known for a long time," Buche said. "Bikes are really the ultimate convertibles. The experience of the trip itself becomes just as important, or more, than the destination. It's a great sense of freedom and adventure that starts from the end of your driveway."

Discover Today's Motorcycling® at www.motorcycles.org is the communications service bureau of the Motorcycle Industry Council and a source of information about motorcycling to the media and the general public. The MIC, located in Irvine, Calif., is a not-for-profit national trade association representing manufacturers and distributors of motorcycles, all-terrain vehicles, scooters, motorcycle parts and accessories, and members of allied trades.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DTM Media Relations
949-727-4211, ext. 3027
www.motorcycles.org>>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 2005, 12:09 pm

I put zero faith in "Industry Council" type press releases. They make no mention to larger pool of possibles customers (aka population growth). Likewise, don't forget MBS...both contradict "America's growing passion for two-wheeling". Personally, I think most American's hate those of the two-wheel inclination..or at least they have a passion for trying to kill us on the road. Brought to you by your your online press-release cynic
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 2005, 12:39 pm Thread Starter

Actually didn't know we had an "Industry Council" representing motorcyling in the U.S. until I saw that press release as I was doing my Monday morning surf of the internet trying to find a little information on the new "S" based K12GT.

Reading it did make me wonder how BMW is doing in the U.S. since the release of the new generation of bikes; the 12GS, K-S, K-R, RT, and the ST.

As to the attitude of four wheel drivers toward motorcylist in the U.S., I agree you have to be ever vigilant, but I give most of them the benefit of the doubt and figure they mostly are prone to do dumb things or are distracted for any number of reasons. Have to say, though, that priority loading of all bikes, push bikes and motorcycles on Washington State ferries does get the ire of a number of drivers, especially if there's a two or more ferry backup and long wait for cars.

Miles

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode