BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

Numbing Buzz in Throttle

4K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  ItsPhilD 
#1 ·
I just picked up a 2007 K1200GT with 24,000 miles. It takes awhile to get used to it but I mostly love everything about it except for... the numbing buzz in the throttle at 4000RPM plus. Most notably at the RPM range you're in when cruising down the highway. This numbing comes on after only a couple minutes.

Got the the bike checked over by my trusted BMW dealer, oil changed, new tires installed and balanced but made no difference. They claim they have never had any such complaint before, everything looked in order and were stumped as to where to look.

Do I have a mechanical issue?

Quite honestly I'm considering selling it if this is the way it's going to be. My R models didn't have anything like this. I was looking forward to long trips on this bike but there is no way possible with this buzz.

For a little background I've owned nothing but BMW since 1985 starting with a 1985 K100RS, K75S, R1100GS, R1150R and a few others so I'm not a newbie to some of the quirkiness of the BMW brand.

#2 · (Edited)
I'm sure you'll get a lot of opinions but mine is that all these bikes tend to do that. my '10 K1300GT does it and my '06 K1200S did it. basically the same platform. most annoying. right at the sweet spot.

if there's two items I don't like about these wedge bikes it is a) they're buzzy and b) their surplus farm equipment transmissions. but u already know about the trannys. both r very noticable having just come off a C14 Concours. But, I have to tell u, u really can't compare it to the bikes u listed. I wouldn't give up the GT too fast. u'll love this bike.

#3 ·
Problem Solved, I Think

Well as it turns out the original owner either installed or had installed a bar adapter. So I removed it and took it back to the stock arrangement and made sure to torque the bolts to the correct specs. I've found out from previous experience you aren't doing yourself any favors by over tightening your handlebar bolts.

A preliminary ride had good results but all I had was a couple of highway miles in before I got rained on. So the new tires and the handlebars got an all too brief testing.

#5 ·
The original Concours 1000 was a bit buzzy, some bikes worse than others. Then some of the COG riders figured out that you could adjust the counter-rotating balance shafts to minimize that buzz. Not eliminate it, but at least bring it down some.

I've never heard of a similar procedure being done on a Slant/4 engine, but I did notice that there are a couple of adjustment spots down low on the engine, so I'm guessing it is possible.

But I think it's another one of those BMW we-adjusted-it-at-the-factory-so-it's-perfect-and-don't-you-ever-touch-it things. ;)

#6 ·
My K1300GT has definately got less buzzy as the miles have gone on, yesterday I passed the 20k mark, in 10 months, and I would almost describe her as super smooth. Now, one thing I have found is that I cant wear real thin gloves, which with our weather isnt a big problem recently :( . But I have kept meaning to get some grip puppies which Iv used on previous bikes and have been great for this kind of issue, thing is, the bikes so much better Im not sure I need em, unless we do get a heat wave that is, huh

#7 ·
Meese said:
But I think it's another one of those BMW we-adjusted-it-at-the-factory-so-it's-perfect-and-don't-you-ever-touch-it things. ;)

Ahh yes.....the BMW Mattress Tag :bowdown

#8 ·
1st Test Drive

Special-K said:
My K1300GT has definately got less buzzy as the miles have gone on, yesterday I passed the 20k mark, in 10 months, and I would almost describe her as super smooth. Now, one thing I have found is that I cant wear real thin gloves, which with our weather isnt a big problem recently :( . But I have kept meaning to get some grip puppies which I've used on previous bikes and have been great for this kind of issue, thing is, the bikes so much better Im not sure I need em, unless we do get a heat wave that is, huh
Problem was only slightly resolved after changing the handlebar setup back to stock. Plus I purchased a pair of gloves to ride with. I ride without gloves rain or shine because I don't like the added thickness.

I know some might think I'm making a big deal out of nothing but for 10 straight minutes I held on to the throttle and my hand was so numb I could barely feel the front brake lever. To me this makes it a serious problem.

I had one Grip Puppy left over after removing them from my previous bike and have installed it and am awaiting a chance to get out and test this setup.

#9 ·
ItsPhilD said:
Problem was only slightly resolved after changing the handlebar setup back to stock. Plus I purchased a pair of gloves to ride with. I ride without gloves rain or shine because I don't like the added thickness.

I know some might think I'm making a big deal out of nothing but for 10 straight minutes I held on to the throttle and my hand was so numb I could barely feel the front brake lever. To me this makes it a serious problem.

I had one Grip Puppy left over after removing them from my previous bike and have installed it and am awaiting a chance to get out and test this setup.
If you think your hands hurt from buzzing wait until you (I hope it never happens!) slide across the pavement with no gloves on.

#10 ·
lhendrick said:
If you think your hands hurt from buzzing wait until you (I hope it never happens!) slide across the pavement with no gloves on.
+1

I still vividly remember almost 20 years ago when they went after the asphalt and gravel embedded in my hands with a scrub brush. Even being hopped up on Vicodin, it still hurt like a bitch.

Never again.

#11 ·
Update - July 14th

So I took the handlebars back to completely stock, torqued the bolts to the proper specs, installed a foam grip/grip puppy on the throttle side and... no difference. Well I should say a little difference. Now I can go almost 10 miles before my right hand is tingling so bad I can hardly feel the brake lever. It's that kind of tingling like when your arm or hand would fall asleep.

Any and all suggestions are welcome.

#13 ·
Gloves

solarmoose said:
I notice the numbness after a while but relaxing grip or letting go with cruise control makes it do-able.
My wife use http://www.qwinerveprotector.com/ gloves and she likes them.
Yes, I'm aware of the whole, "don't grip too tightly" scenario and am sure I'm not. CC does help but I've purchased the most technologically advanced motorcycle I've ever owned and don't think what I have is performing as the manufacture intended.

Appreciate the link for the gloves, I'll look into them after deciding a course of action.

#14 ·
Reply From a Tech

A few things come to mind:

1) The valves were never properly adjusted. Ask your tech to set the valves/shims EXACTLY, not to nominal specs.

2) Have your tech remove the tires from the wheels and balance the wheels 1st, then install the tires and balance them together without removing the tires or any of the previously installed weights.

3) Have your tech remove the final drive shaft and 'clock' it until it reduces the vibes to your satisfaction. Usually, a 180˚ clocking will make the vibes subside.

4) Could be that the auto/electronic suspension has taken a dive or was never serviced properly. It could be as simple as a 'chip/computer' problem.

If that doesn't work, BMW screwed the pooch on the crankshaft and you will need to dig a bit deeper to satisfy your ride.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.