BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

2008 K1200GT ABS issue definitely motor brushes

11K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  GMack 
#1 ·
All,
I have started and read several threads due to my K1200GT "brake failure" light coming on and staying on. Heard lots of horror stories about $1,800+ bills from BMW to replace the ABS module. I think this applies to all ABSII modules but definitely the 2008.
Here is the problem. Bad brushes in the ABS pump motor. This was told to me by the guy at ModuleMasters.com, check them out online (Tech's name is Tyler).
Sent mine to him after long investigation, and trips to the shop with no success and he just called me to say "sure enough had a stuck brush in the motor". Repair + warranty $150.00!
I have a GS911 code reader and you always get a couple of codes both similar to "low voltage to ABS pump supply... error". The real issue is swollen, cracked, or just stuck brushes in the motor.
The module itself is made BMW style (all embossed together so no internal access). These guys have played around with old units and found a way to affect the repair. For my money it was worth it to have them do it and not take a chance to ruin mine doing it myself blind (drill into the wrong spot and uh-oh!!)
Hope this helps out all of you in the same position. These guys are good, got my unit wednesday this week and called with diagnosis Friday.
I hope to get the module back next week, bleed the brakes and be off and running again.
Boggsy64 :teeth

See less See more
#2 ·
I'll be sending mine in probably in the dead of winter. I just like riding it and saving gas so I'm not inclined to put it down for a few weeks in this nice weather :teeth . How do you plan to bleed the abs system when you reinstall it ?

#4 ·
Good info. :clap:

I have the 2006 model with the power brake unit as part of the ABS. Wonder if they do those as well? It's still working, but someday....?

I have a fear that applying the brakes too much will wear the unit down. Maybe during a brake bleed where the power assist pump is really working? I don't know if that unit uses separate motors for the power and the ABS either, but it looks like only one large one? The thing must have a half dozen bleeder ports on it too. I've gotten lazy and now just suck out the fluids now in the reservoirs on the pump and master and change that rather than running the unit and doing the full bleed. Never have had brake fluids changed in any of my ABS cars in 150K miles and it's not even mentioned in the current manual for the car. Even the car's auto tranny went 100K miles before it saw new fluid. Sometimes I suspect we over-medicate these things.

Anyway, I'll keep them in mind. BMW charges some outrageous prices for these ABS things.

Mack

#6 ·
My bad...module master no s

I put an s on the site is modulemaster.com. Phone is 888-892-0764.
As for bleeding I have standard vacuum unit bought from NAPA $ 60.00.
I did not compress the pads just extracted the fluid ..probably less than a quarter cup. Plan to put new fluid in and bleed until no bubbles (basically says this in official repair CD from BMW which I bought).
There is brake test function in the GS911 code reader that I also have. I am guessing this runs the system to verify functions. I don't think it is rocket science, but have not done that yet. I am sure BMW will charge brain surgeon fees to do it.
I am burned and will avoid the shop like the plague.
By the way the older..I guess before 2006? Modules look different in the BMW manual. This unit has the motor sticking out toward the front of the bike. Just the black motor body attached to the aluminum block. The older one looked like the motor was surrounded by the aluminum block... This one only has 4 lines coming into the top of the block.

Boggsy64

#7 ·
Abs

Just got my abs back from Modulemaster and installed today and it works. They were very knowledgeable of the problem. I would suggest using them for future abs problems.
2008 k1200gt 12800 miles. $215 includes shipping and insurance both ways. Beats the $2000 at the dealer and comes with a five year warranty.

#8 ·
The 2006 K12GT bikes were still using the Power Integral Brakes, so the ABS module is larger and more complicated.

From 2007 on, BMW started using the Integral II Brakes, with a simpler, more compact ABS pump.

It's good to see there is a company that can rebuild these pumps at a much more reasonable price point. That will go a long way towards keeping these bikes on the road as they get older and the mileages go up . . .

#10 ·
Great video!

Thanks for the link Special K!
I got mine back from Modulemaster, installed it, bled the brakes and out for a test drive in about an hour.
It has been two week or so and I have been back in the saddle and no issues!
I love the video and seeing how the repair was done by MM I think I can repair it myself next time.
If I had the video I would have have done it myself the first time! It solved the mystery of "what is inside there?" and "what can go wrong".

Happy motoring!
Boggsy64

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.